05-19-2013, 08:08 PM
User Info
I wonder how all you shavers use your fragrances Smile

I personally have a collection of 200-250 bottles, 200 of them are designers, rest are niche frags.

I live in a climate that is rather cold, even our summer weather rarely gets over 80 degrees F/27 degrees celcius - I think we may hit 90 degress Fahrenheit maybe 3-4 weeks a year if that often.
The rest of the year we have rainy/snowy weather, sort of like the weather in the northern UK and northern Germany.

Fragrances is not something I smell on everyone here, yes in the train to work in the morning and when I go out the young kids will oduche themselves in loud fragrances - to get noticed, not because they love the fragrance IMHO.

I love and enjoy fragrances as much as I enjoy traditional wet shaving products.

People from no0rth America tend to be very moderate and cautious when applying their fragrance and they are very aware of what others may think if they overapply their fragrance.

To be honest I don't care that much about that.
While I do have a lot of respect for other human beings, I have just realized that you can't possible please everyone out there.
If I just have applied my frag in the morning and take the elevator down, of course I will smell very powerfull from the frag I just apllied and of course some may think I stink from fragrance. Too bad. I can't do anything about it. Part of life.

I tend to use a fragrance depending on my mood, the weather, the amount of hours I need it to work on me and the type of situation I'm in.

Party, dinner, job, fitness, casual, going to bed etc.
I use a fragrance several times a day, at least twice a day.

I spray all over my body and use anything from 8-12 spray, but only maybe 3-4 sprays around the open neck and head area.
If I use one of my more potent frags, I cut the amount of sprays down to maybe 4-5 sprays, but usually I use around 10 sprays.

I have never in my life been told I stink.
I may still stink, but no one has had the guts to tell me so and the girls in my life have always told me I smelled great.
I have often asked friends and family if they feel I stink - and they just tell me that I just smell nice, and very seldom smell like I have used too much - so my dry skin may just obsorb the fragrance more than average.

But I still get pretty great longevity from most of my frags, even my Creeds last 5-8 hours on my skin depending on what of the 10 Creeds I own I have used that day. Aventus, Royal Oud and GIT last 8-10 hours on my skin

My consumption of fragrance is circa 2-3 ml a day depending on the juice, so I estimate that I use 10-12 full 100 ml bottles each year. I have heard of basenoters that only apply 3 sprays daily, and they will maybe use 250-300 ml juice a year.
I could never apply that little juice and feel I get my moneys worth. I build up 2-3 sprays on top of each other to layer the same frags and seal the first layers under the last layer to prolong longevity. This is my secret to longevity - layer the same fragrance on top of itself on your skin.

I would like to hear a little bit about what you guys use and how many spray you tend to apply dusing a full day.

Thanks Cool

22 5,053
 05-20-2013, 12:01 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(05-19-2013, 08:08 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: People from no0rth America tend to be very moderate and cautious when applying their fragrance and they are very aware of what others may think if they overapply their fragrance.

While I do have a lot of respect for other human beings, I have just realized that you can't possible please everyone out there.
If I just have applied my frag in the morning and take the elevator down, of course I will smell very powerfull from the frag I just apllied and of course some may think I stink from fragrance. Too bad. I can't do anything about it. Part of life.

I think this is a bit selfish and short sighted, to be honest. I have been near cologne and perfume "bathers" many times and it can be down right nauseating and headache inducing. It can make it hard on those with breathing health issues too when they're trapped near someone like that, such as a subway or elevator. I do not know how it is over there, but in the US we're frequently crammed in with many people, and in the summer temperatures in many areas can reach 100-105 degrees, but the real killer is humidity, a strong fragrance in heat is bad enough, but with 100% humidity you can almost taste their cologne/perfume it is so cloying.

Perhaps it is like you say it is and you just absorb most of the scent..or perhaps people around you are just being nice and not saying anything? In my opinion, if they smell it more than an arms reach away, you have too much on.

With that said, I only use a handful of fragrances, both because I prefer developing a signature smell over wearing different scents every day of the year and also cost...I do no have unlimited funds to drop thousands of dollars on expensive fragrances.

In warmer months I usually stick with Cool Water (sorry but to me it smells almost identical to GIT and is 15-20% of the cost.) or Guerlain Vetiver..both because they're light fragrances and deal with heat very well..and I typically only use 2-3 sprays and I still smell it on me at the end of the day.

In the fall/winter I use Encre Noire, Azzaro Pour Homme, Grey Flannel, Drakkar Noire and once in a blue moon...Jovan Musk. All of these are also 2-3 sprays.

I'd love to wear the later fragrances in the summer, but they're like a nuclear bomb on the senses in hot, humid weather and I'm too nice of guy to do that to people. Biggrin

31 1,510
 05-20-2013, 05:17 PM
User Info
I usually don't wear much more than after shave anymore, but have only ever used 2-3 sprays with whatever it may be. These days, it's C. O. Bigelow Black, if I do wear it.

31 1,800
 05-20-2013, 11:43 PM
User Info
(05-20-2013, 12:01 PM)Arcadies Wrote:
(05-19-2013, 08:08 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: People from no0rth America tend to be very moderate and cautious when applying their fragrance and they are very aware of what others may think if they overapply their fragrance.

I think this is a bit selfish and short sighted, to be honest. I have been near cologne and perfume "bathers" many times and it can be down right nauseating and headache inducing. It can make it hard on those with breathing health issues too when they're trapped near someone like that, such as a subway or elevator. I do not know how it is over there, but in the US we're frequently crammed in with many people, and in the summer temperatures in many areas can reach 100-105 degrees, but the real killer is humidity, a strong fragrance in heat is bad enough, but with 100% humidity you can almost taste their cologne/perfume it is so cloying.

Perhaps it is like you say it is and you just absorb most of the scent..or perhaps people around you are just being nice and not saying anything? In my opinion, if they smell it more than an arms reach away, you have too much on.

With that said, I only use a handful of fragrances, both because I prefer developing a signature smell over wearing different scents every day of the year and also cost...I do no have unlimited funds to drop thousands of dollars on expensive fragrances.

In warmer months I usually stick with Cool Water (sorry but to me it smells almost identical to GIT and is 15-20% of the cost.) or Guerlain Vetiver..both because they're light fragrances and deal with heat very well..and I typically only use 2-3 sprays and I still smell it on me at the end of the day.

In the fall/winter I use Encre Noire, Azzaro Pour Homme, Grey Flannel, Drakkar Noire and once in a blue moon...Jovan Musk. All of these are also 2-3 sprays.

I'd love to wear the later fragrances in the summer, but they're like a nuclear bomb on the senses in hot, humid weather and I'm too nice of guy to do that to people. Biggrin

I tend to agree with you on that, yes! It can come off as being selfish and I have also smelled THAT GUY or THAT LADY that smelled like a nuclear bomb, and it can feel gross and sickening to your stomach Confused

But since no one for 30+ years have told me I STANK, how in the heck should I know it ?
I often ask people for their opinion, but I just get the polite comment: 'you smell nice', 'sometimes you use a daring fragrance, but I never feel you overpower me with it'

I did the same thing when I test my neighbors for my music listening.
I like music, and I like to play it loud sometimes.
So when I move into a new condo, I test my surroundings by paying my surrounding neighbors a visit in late afternoon, early evening.
I turn the volume up, ring on the door bell and ask them if they think I'm playing too loud. If they invite me in, I go in and check if they can hear the bass too loud.

If they can, I go back and adjust the volume level and check if it's better.
That way I know circa how loud I can play without disturbing and annoying me neighbors Smile

I try to do the same with my fragrances. If people are too polite, then I can't do anymore. In order for my fragrance to last a work day, I have to layer 2-3 sprays on top of each other, unless I use Tom Ford Private blend, Amouage, Montale and the more potent stuff out there. With the strong stuff, 2-3 sprays is my max limit, because that easily last 10-12 hours solid.

I use fragrance because it's a joy to smell myself most of the day.
I also use it to attract ladies, but more so because I just love to smell my own fragrance during a day, it just makes living that more fun to me Biggrin

It's sort of like riding a chopper. The guy who rides a big Harley Davidson knows VERY WELL that the sound coming from his Harley can cause hearing damage to a person, but he still enjoys making the sound - you can see it when he smiles driving past you Cool He loves the sound his machine makes, but is it okay to pollute the city with this almost damaging noise ?

You can turn a fragrance smell down by using it sparingly, but then I need to carry a decant with me, which I just don't like to. So I will offend people in the elevator in the morning. I know that. And I'm sorry, but not more sorry than I still do it.
I hope I don't meet anybody in the elevator in the morning, but if I do, well then it's just too bad.......sorry Biggrin

You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time Tongue

22 5,053
 05-21-2013, 12:23 AM
User Info
Claus, there is a different between using enough fragrance to make the scent last all day and rolling around in Dollar Store Perfume like a dog... You sound like one of the former - and I've worked with too many of the later Scared

Me, I work in relatively close quarters with people both younger and older than myself. Due to that I tend to be rather conservative in my use of fragrances, just a bit of A/S in the morning after shaving. Even so I get the odd compliment on how I smell now and then; mostly from the young ladies, I must admit - could be that guys finds it rather akward to comment on such things.

A few drops poured into my hand goes a long way.. never measured it out.

3 3,562
 05-21-2013, 02:11 PM
User Info
2-3 sprays is normal. However, 2-3 sprays doesn't equal 2-3 ml or anything close to it.

I personally use 2-3 sprays, 2 for Creed, 3 for YSL. YSL fades really quickly, possibly because it was shipped during summer via ground and got really hot. Don't know. Just doesn't last more than 4 hours so sometimes I have to reapply it with a spritz.

Most of the time I forget to spray altogether though.

9 2,988
 05-21-2013, 09:23 PM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
Very sparingly on work days. Years ago I had a stinging insect fly down my shirt after smelling the aroma or my manliness cologne during a HOT Alabama afternoon. He returned with many brethren apparently believing he hqd found the NECTAR MOTHER LOAD! When they arrived I RAN ........VERY FAR, in 3 pounds of soft body armour, 5 pounds of gun leather, while carry a .45 Sig pistol and 41 rounds of very heavy .45 ammo!
I learned my lesson, use sparingly on work days.

2 334