02-27-2012, 10:03 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Do you ever have a shave that you think is pretty good and then as the day wears on, you realize it isn't? Today's shave was like that for me. Out of the shoot it seemed like a garden variety good shave. However, while running errands this morning, all of a sudden, I had skin irritation on my neck. My neck hasn't looked like that since using a disposable on a trip. Strange days! I think I will skip shaving tomorrow.

45 16,278
 02-27-2012, 10:07 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
That hasn't happened to me in a long time. Bad news when it does, though.

2 11,211
 02-27-2012, 10:10 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
freddy Wrote:That hasn't happened to me in a long time. Bad news when it does, though.

It feels like I used a cheese grater rather than a razor this morning. :cry:

45 16,278
 02-27-2012, 10:27 PM
  • freddy
User Info
I have also found that, sometimes, a shave that seems good turns into BBS after a while as if the skin is settling down after the shave.

2 11,211
 02-27-2012, 10:35 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
Hi Phil and Freddy -

I have very sensitive skin, which may or may not have anything to do with it. However, when I irritate my skin shaving, I tend to know it immediately, as in during the shave. I shave at night, so if it is still sore the next morning, that means I really irritated it!

I only shave Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday nights. Interestingly enough, my best shave is always the one on Sunday - after the longest break - and my worst/most susceptible to irritation is the Tuesday shave, for reasons I have yet to find. Thursday is somewhere in between.

- Murray

4 1,150
 02-27-2012, 10:56 PM
User Info
That happened to me on Sunday. I was plowing along using my Proraso White for the past few days. Decided to try my MWF. Neck didn't like it (odd since it is usually so good to me)!! What gives?!?

0 217
 02-27-2012, 11:50 PM
  • kav
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I believe one factor is our environment changes. The human body likes a skin temperature of @ 98.6 F in a molecule thin wet perspiration layer. A building's atmosphere can change radically; a teapot boiling on the stove adding moisture, the heating left on all night
a few degrees to warm etc. Add to that our natural biorhythems,being hydrated or dehydrated and the best kit and technique will literally be shaving a difernt creature.

2 3,169
 02-28-2012, 07:30 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
kav Wrote:I believe one factor is our environment changes.

You may be onto something there! We went from Santa Ana hot and dry to dreary and cold in fairly short order.

45 16,278
 02-28-2012, 07:35 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I'm still fairly inexperienced, but so far every time I've gotten a bad case of skin irritation or anything, I've known right away.

I have seen the opposite, though. I have had a couple of days where I feel like I've scraped my face raw, but then once my ASB has a chance to work it completely clears up in plenty of time to really enjoy a close shove without any discomfort.

10 1,858
 02-28-2012, 08:32 AM
User Info
Hi

Few times, on this days I asked me "What's wrong?" I believe that this happened when I tried a close shave. Not all the close shave are like this, of course, but maybe my bad reaction appears few hours later.

Bye

0 24
 02-28-2012, 10:52 AM
User Info
happened to me on sunday, and it wasn't as the day went on. I finished and just felt like I had accomplished nothing, even had my favorite stuff in rotation.

4 309
 02-28-2012, 05:02 PM
  • kav
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Here is bad shave recipe I will NEVER repeat.
Oh WOW! My stuff from Phil just came in the mail.
Inserts new blade sample of le Guillotine.
I remember the PIF puck of Artisan soap a forum member sent me.
It has Beatrix Potter packaging and a list of homeopathic, organic
ingredients including tibetan sky burial incense.
I've run out of distilled water. I steal some from Pyewacket's reserve drinking dish.
Pye is my cat and sits on the counter supervising my shaves and girfriends.
I watched one of Mantic's videos on YOUTUBE last night in between the Oscars and realise my method of holding a razor
is all wrong. I pracise the Master Yoda flipping in air-backslash manuever several times.

2 3,169
 02-28-2012, 10:25 PM
  • 68stang
  • Bremerton, WA
User Info
I hear you - happens to me every once in a while. I think it happens when I try using a blade to long.

0 25
 02-29-2012, 09:26 AM
  • Manticore
  • Old And In The Way
  • Manchester, New Hampshire
User Info
Yes sir, I experience this myself every once in a while. I have not been able to pin it down to any single change in my routine, very odd. I guess it's just one of those things we have to deal with.

0 136
 02-29-2012, 10:04 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I found using a decent after shave balm every day will begin to leave your face and neck in better shape for the next shave. The better balms have repair type ingredients that really help your skin.

100 12,437
 02-29-2012, 01:02 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
slantman Wrote:I found using a decent after shave balm every day will begin to leave your face and neck in better shape for the next shave. The better balms have repair type ingredients that really help your skin.

That is a good suggestion. I should crack open a bottle of the I Coloniali Hydro Repairing aftershave next time that happens. Good excuse to see if the product actually works.

45 16,278
 03-01-2012, 05:02 AM
  • Colcurinho
  • From the land of Semogue, Musgo Real, ..
User Info
Usually I don´t have that problem. Smile But I do my shave at night most of the times.

0 106
 03-01-2012, 03:55 PM
  • freddy
User Info
(02-29-2012, 10:04 AM)slantman Wrote: I found using a decent after shave balm every day will begin to leave your face and neck in better shape for the next shave. The better balms have repair type ingredients that really help your skin.

I have to agree with Jerry. In fact, I use an aftershave balm all year long, even in summer. Just a very little bit rubbed into the shaved area feels good even when I have no irritation. Of course, I have what would probably be called "normal" skin by the big companies so don't know how this would work for someone with oily skin.

2 11,211
 03-01-2012, 06:02 PM
User Info
Happens to me too. Almost always related to trying to use a blade 1 day too long.

1 77
 03-01-2012, 06:09 PM
User Info
I always use a splash first and if I get a burn, out comes the balm.

I find Pre De Provence is nice when I have had a "too close" shave.

What balm do you use when you have one of those rare bad shaves?

2 697