04-11-2012, 05:36 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Posted with the permission of the author: Hans (Wegian Warrior)

This little bit of rambling is something I started mulling over while shaving this morning, and it just haven't let go.

Your face is one of a kind - a testament not only to your parents (and your parents parents, and your parents parents parents etc etc etc) but also to your life so far and your daily wear and tear. The contours and beard of your visage have been subtly moulded by forces internal and external... so off course it willl react differently to soaps, creams, blades, and aftershaves than my face does.

When you come down to it, that is one of the things I like about good old fashioned wetshaving: There is no One True Way. Despite what the major international shaving industry giants try to tell you there is no one perfect combination of lather, blade and razor that will magically give everyone a perfect shave (and it's funny how the combo they try to push is always a little bit more expensive than what they tried to sell you last year... with a little less foam in the can, one more blade in the cartridge and one more pointless gimmick in the handle).

No One True Way means you can, have to even, experiment - not just with the equipment you use but more so with the ways you use it. Building a consistently good lather was something it took me a while to master, but I still like to try out different ways of doing it. Some work better, some work less good - but I've found a few tricks that I've rolled into my 'everyday lather'. I am still searching for the perfect combo of blade and razor - right now I would say I'm 95% there. That might be as close as I'll get, but again part of the fun is the experimentation. Brushes is a science all it's own - or perhaps closer to black magic. Some prefer badger, some swear to boar, some of us like horse the best... but synthetic is good too. And don't get me started on pre- and post-shave... all I know is that it's important.

What I'm driving at is that since you're one of a kind, your perfect blend of kit and technique will be one of a kind too. No one can tell you that what you're doing is wrong if it gives you a good shave - but many wetshavers out here will be happy to point you in the right direction if you can't get a good shave.

Your Mileage May indeed Vary... but that is the way it should be!

173 23,546
 04-11-2012, 07:05 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Johnny

Nicely said Euro

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 04-11-2012, 07:09 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(04-11-2012, 07:05 AM)mikeperry Wrote: Hi Johnny

Nicely said Euro

Take care, Mike

Thanks, but I have to give credit where credit is due, Hans wrote that, I just published it in the Article section.

173 23,546
 04-11-2012, 07:17 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(04-11-2012, 07:09 AM)Johnny Wrote: Thanks, but I have to give credit where credit is due, Hans wrote that, I just published it in the Article section.

Blush my bad, I missed that important bit of info...

Posted with the permission of the author: Hans (Wegian Warrior)

Johnny, not so nicely said Tongue

Hans, nicely said Euro

23 1,872
 04-11-2012, 07:27 AM
User Info
Very good. This is one of the things I love about wet shaving - that there is a lot of science involved, but also a whole lot of art.

184 12,003
 04-11-2012, 07:51 AM
User Info
Amen!

1 223
 04-11-2012, 08:06 AM
  • MrGuy
  • Black Hills of SD
User Info
Good stuff! I try to push the same point with my videos, I hope I've been able to. One of my biggest pet peeves in the various forums is when a guy says something works great for him only to be followed up with a bunch of "Oh no, never do that. It doesn't work". When I started in with the Micromatics, even the SE guys (who were few and far between at the time) made a fuss saying no one gets a good shave from those, the best thing to do is throw them awayDodgy
Great words, Hans. Great re-posting, JohnnyBiggrin

1 73
 04-11-2012, 09:43 AM
User Info
Clap

Nicely said Hans!

Dittos Andy! Why do folks think they are the one and only? Especially in shaving and southern BBQ there are so many different ways of doing things; and they all work. Well, for someone anyway... even method shaving. Biggrin

32 6,309
 04-11-2012, 11:49 AM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
I think this is a good article. I've seen in posts sometimes people saying "Please don't use the YMMV cop-out...". I don't think anyone cops out - it truly is YMMV as you say. You can love a certain brush, I may absolutely despise it. Not that neither of us know what we're talking about. It's just some things work for me that don't work for you and vice versa.

0 353
 04-11-2012, 12:01 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Very well written and thought provoking.

I been noticing more so as I age the facial features I have resemble my dad. But for the first time in my life I seen a picture of grandfather on my mom's dad. There is part of facial features from him too. It is great to have these features that make my face.

1 3,507
 04-11-2012, 01:31 PM
User Info
Very nice information, Johnny! Even though it is someone else's, it is still great to share. Thanks.

75 20,883
 04-11-2012, 01:47 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Thanks Hans and Johnny.

Perfectly stated, folks. Remember, if there were only One True Way then there would be only one shave soap or cream or stick (but not all three), one razor, one blade (or one razor, period, if it was a straight), one brush, etc. Because of our various preferences, I am still learning and that is part of the fun of wet shaving.

2 11,211
 04-11-2012, 02:03 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Well put Johnny (and Hans).

35 2,703
 04-11-2012, 04:45 PM
User Info
I declare that MMM (or M Cubed)!

MMM (or M Cubed) = My Mileage Meanders

1 2,827
 04-11-2012, 05:55 PM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
Great post Hans and Johnny.

It took me a while to really dial in my lather making process and now I don't tweak it much because it doesn't need much tweaking.

7 1,018
 04-11-2012, 07:41 PM
User Info
Glad to see Johnny didn't actually write this. My first thought was if he's been wet shaving for 50+ years and is only 95% of the way to figuring out what works, I am screwed. 242424

129 6,685
 04-11-2012, 08:31 PM
User Info
Good article. Thanks for sharing it.

I agree that what works for one may not work for another. I've been DE and SE wet shaving for 3 months and have tried a lot of razors and blades and soaps and creams, etc. At first very few razors worked for me and very few blades. Now it seems even after so little time, I've gotten to a good place in the learning curve. I seem to be able to shave with any razor or blade. I can even lather MWF now, in cold water. My lather may not be the best lather in the world...but it works for me.

21 1,477
 04-12-2012, 03:07 AM
  • Java
  • Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
User Info
"....he can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke
The same cigarrettes as me
I can't get no satisfaction "

People have been making fun of that attitude for decades.(probably centuries) Why is it still so prevalent? I know it must irritate new folks when they ask what the "best" of something is, and few of us can agree on it. Well said, Hans, and thank you Johnny, for sharing it.

0 270
 04-12-2012, 03:35 AM
User Info
Honestly, the "best" is usually "what works for you". Which admittedly is NOT the simple answer most newcomers are looking for...

On the other hand, the fact that my mileage - as well as yours - may and will vary is what makes wetshaving such an interesting and rewarding experience.

3 3,580
 04-12-2012, 05:15 AM
  • Leon
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Thanks for the article, Johnny.

"Whatever works best for you" could have been also another title.

We can't never say that our method is the greatest ever. It is great for our own purpose, at least that's what we think.

That's why its always interesting and amuzing to see some videos of fellow members. We can always find a new detail or adopt a slightly different tecnique to see if it works better.

4 313