05-20-2013, 05:56 PM
User Info
First off, let me start by saying that I'm a pretty big fan of Clubman Pinaud products. I've mentioned my fondness for the original scent, and have recently fallen in love with the Special Reserve. Take a look at my medicine cabinet and you can see it is well stocked with Clubman Pinaud aftershaves:

[Image: oofRAr4.jpg]

Okay, so I recently ordered some samples from Gary's Sample Shop, and included in that was Alt-Innsbruck, Floid Blue, a couple of Bay Rums, and Pinaud Lilac Vegetal.

I have been really looking forward to trying the Veg - the fact that it seems like people either love it or hate really made it intriguing to me. This morning a splashed some on...

I tend to gravitate towards old school, classic scents when it comes to aftershaves. That has caused my wife, on more than a few occasions, to tell me I smell like an old man. Well, as soon as i splashed the Veg on I had to agree- it def has an old person scent- and not necessarily an old man smell. After a few hours the "basenote" started coming through, and I began to smell like... Playdough. And although one might think it would be awesome to smell like Playdough, it actually started to make me a bit nauseous. After more than 14 hours after the initial application, I still catch whiffs of it.

Does anyone else think the Veg smells like Playdough? I'm curious to know if others picked up on that, or if I just have an off-kilter sniffer.

2 234
 05-20-2013, 06:26 PM
User Info
Hee hee! Playdough! Biggrin
Good one.
i have never tried it and, now, this has solidified my decision never to do so!Biggrin

75 20,883
 05-20-2013, 06:36 PM
User Info
Be honest. It smells like you tinkled your pants. But on the other hand it tends to last longer than there other products!

5 410
 05-20-2013, 06:45 PM
User Info
I don't remember what Playdough smelled like. But I bought a vintage bottle of Lilac Vegetal on eBay and used it just once. My wife said, "Ugh - you smell like pot pourri," and held her nose. So that was the end of that.

183 12,002
 05-20-2013, 07:15 PM
  • RobE
  • NY USA
User Info
Oh no, not playdoh. Playdough (playdoh) smells good! I haven't worn the Veg in years, nor have I played with or smelled Play Doh in years. But... I'm absolutely... positively, certain that these two 'aromas' bear no similarities to each other.

edit: but then again, I guess my olfactory memory must be faulty, since a number of you guys do smell Play-Doh. I'll accept your collective word. Smile

17 290
 05-20-2013, 08:03 PM
User Info
Yes! I, too, detect the Play-Doh, note.

However, I've always considered it a middle note. It is detectable to me for a couple of hours then I smell dark flowers....sort of. The Veg is hard to describe.

It usually goes something like this for me...

First minutes after initial application----Urea note

30 minutes to an hour flowers start to come through with a strong Play-Doh type note.

After that, tart flowers. Yes, that's it...dark, tart flowers.

All of it becomes undetectable to me after about 4 hours. My SWMBO has changed her mind on it and doesn't like it now so I wear it less.

My face feels really good after using it too. I can't explain it. There is no lanolin or glycerin or any other skin care ingredients in it, yet my face does feel good afterwards.

The only thing that makes my face feel better is Frostbite after using Mike's or MWF.

1 283
 05-21-2013, 09:48 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
I will say the scent is strong and different. I personally do not find it offensive. It is in my regular rotation of splashes.

1 3,507
 05-21-2013, 04:30 PM
User Info
Lance, I'm glad I'm not the only one who smells play-doh. I honestly smelled it all day and even faintly when I woke this morning. After my morning shower, I doused myself with Osage Rub in an effort to forget the veg.

2 234
 05-22-2013, 09:22 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Never been a Veg fan and maybe this explains why. Never cared much for playdoh either.

173 23,486
 05-23-2013, 02:32 AM
User Info
Masters Lilac Vegetal is the best IMO. I love when my barber splashes the heck out of my neck with the stuff! Booster's Lilac is a close second.

0 652
 05-24-2013, 12:29 PM
User Info
Maybe I'll PIF the sample. Would anyone be interested?

2 234
 05-26-2013, 02:19 AM
User Info
If you guys want Lilac that is more of what you would expect I would suggest eBarbershop's version. It really does smell like Lilacs.

The Veg, as much as I like it, is a good scent, but in all honesty doesn't remind me of Lilacs too much.

1 283
 05-29-2013, 12:14 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I like Pinaud Products and have several of them.

After cleaning up my Shave Stash, I found I had two bottles of the Lilac Vegetal so I started using up one of the bottles.

I want the Ole Time Scent so I like the product.

I noticed that it usually fades after a while and a little more quickly than some of the other Pinaud Products.

While the scent maybe Lilacs, I find that it smells a little like some old fashion toilet cleaner.

So I just call it my Toilet Water Cologne and smile while I put some on.

1 819
 05-30-2013, 11:49 AM
User Info
Toilet water- that's pretty funny. The barber I went to as a kid always splashed on Pinaud Clubman after a haircut, and he called it "French Oui Oui Water" (Wee-wee).

2 234
 11-16-2013, 10:25 AM
User Info
I got to try the Veg for the first time today -- they had it in stock at Christmas Tree Store (which is somehow owned by BB&Beyond and Harmon's Drug). I was able to get a little of the scent to squeeze out onto my hand.

I HATED IT WITH THE BURNING FIRE OF A THOUSAND SUNS.

It smelled exactly like a nursing home to me. Like age. Sickness. Death. Pee-pee Depends.

I couldn't get the smell out of my head. I washed my hands at two different stores. I came home and washed my whole face and hands again. I put some Prosaso Green on to try and reset. And yet I continued to get little whiffs of it off my fingers. It was like that Seinfeld episode with the car smell.

You guys can have this stuff. I like Clubman, and I'll try the other Pinauds. But this one is for freaks who should be locked up.

0 303
 11-21-2013, 06:44 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I can't say that it smells like Playdough to me. Out of the bottle it smells like Jay's Fluid or one of those pucks you'll see in a urinal. I find, however, that once it's on my face it smells quite pleasant with definite undertones of Lilacs. Interestingly, SWMBO likes the smell when I'm wearing it.

5 758
 11-23-2013, 07:07 AM
User Info
"I HATED IT WITH THE BURNING FIRE OF A THOUSAND SUNS."

Hahaha - Face Bannon, tell us how you really feel about it, lol

I will say that the Veg is a complex scent. Because I did smell many of the different scents everyone has mentioned, but the play doh scent def came thru the strongest and lasted the longest, for me.

2 234
 01-12-2015, 08:09 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(11-16-2013, 10:25 AM)Face Bannon Wrote: I got to try the Veg for the first time today -- they had it in stock at Christmas Tree Store (which is somehow owned by BB&Beyond and Harmon's Drug). I was able to get a little of the scent to squeeze out onto my hand.

It smelled exactly like a nursing home to me. Like age. Sickness. Death. Pee-pee Depends.

I couldn't get the smell out of my head. I washed my hands at two different stores. I came home and washed my whole face and hands again. I put some Prosaso Green on to try and reset. And yet I continued to get little whiffs of it off my fingers. It was like that Seinfeld episode with the car smell.

You guys can have this stuff. I like Clubman, and I'll try the other Pinauds. But this one is for freaks who should be locked up.

Just read this and literally laughed out loud in my office .. Laughing1

102 17,661
 01-12-2015, 09:22 AM
User Info
(11-16-2013, 10:25 AM)Face Bannon Wrote: I got to try the Veg for the first time today -- they had it in stock at Christmas Tree Store (which is somehow owned by BB&Beyond and Harmon's Drug). I was able to get a little of the scent to squeeze out onto my hand.

Lmbo, yeah that's one of the best responses i have ever read!

Sent from my Samsung Tablet using Tapatalk

1 1,975
 01-15-2015, 11:36 AM
  • kav
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I believe I posted my Vegetal story of shame? It was my first scent and rebellion against the family regime of Old Spice.
I didn't understand the difference between a As and EDT and poured a good 25% of the stuff on me to maintain the smell.
I succeeded in permanently eliminating any chance of dating
one girl and wound up in a 3 VS me fight with the football team; broke our star QBs arm and cost us the season and my wrestling and crosscountry letters.
I hate the stuff.
But, I must take exception to all these negative images of
'old lady purses' and Resthomes and Hospitals. Age is not a disease we acquire via contagion and Lilac/Lavender can be done right.
Flower pollen on a Neanderthaler's grave is the earliest known indication of ritual. It wasn't muskglands from a bison, Patchouli from that weird vegan cro magnon chick with dreadlocks or AXE from that Achuelian dude.

2 3,169