05-20-2013, 06:13 PM
User Info
I'm starting this thread because of a thread I read in 'The Parlor'. That one got a bit contentious, which was unfortunate.

First, as we all say in this hobby: YMMV! Nothing in this hobby of our works equally well (or equally badly) for everyone. Every guy on here could disagree with every other guy and they could all be right. This is because only you have your face, and only you know what's best for it.

Traditional wetshaving (as I think of it) is about the prep, the brush, the shaving soap or cream, the razor and blade, or the straight, and the aftershave ritual. I choose to shave every day, and I choose to enjoy it. It doesn't take long, but I like doing a good job.

I also choose to use more traditional stuff for each part of my shave. I could use a cartridge razor and shave foam, but I never liked the shaves I got when I used them, so I switched.

However, some guys like their shave foam and multi-blade cartridge razors. Their experience is as valid as mine. I also think that their point of view should be welcome here.

I had a friend who had a thick growth of facial hair, and he swore by his electric razor. When I tried electric razors, it always felt like I was torturing myself. However, his experience was different.

--------------

So what have electric razors and cartridges got to do with traditional wetshaving?

When I think of traditional wetshaving, I also focus more on the 'traditional' than the shaving. To me, my routine (and my interactions with guys on the forums, for the most part) conjures up a time when people enjoyed speaking to each other, exchanging views, and pleasantries , and when they were just more polite and concerned about their fellow man. For the most part, that's what I encounter on here. Yes, even from the guys who use cartridge razors! Wink

So, to me traditional wetshaving is about the stuff I use in my shave, but it's also about the wetshaving community.......you guys!

Everyone's views should be (and are) valid. We all appreciate the different points of view on here. Just remember that being a traditional wetshaver also extends to our interpersonal relationships, and we'll all get along and enjoy the debates.Biggrin

37 1,731
 05-20-2013, 06:24 PM
User Info
Very eloquently worded, Yohann! The true meaning of life; acceptance and compassion. i doubt the Buddha could have said it any better!Biggrin

82 21,014
 05-20-2013, 06:29 PM
User Info
Thank, Celestino.

Actually, now that I've reread the post, I think it might be more appropriate elsewhere. I started to write about cartridge razors, and then the post took on a life of its own. Blush

37 1,731
 05-20-2013, 07:01 PM
  • RedRocks
  • Four-Corners, USA
User Info
Thank you Yohann.

I'm not really sure what is meant by 'traditional shaving'. DE, SE, Straight, sharpened clamshells??? I was not impressed the first few times I used DE 40+- years ago. For me, Trac II is still one of my favorites - along with a 40's Tech, late 50's Fat Boy, a 60's Slim, and a 70's Black Beauty. Oh, and don't forget my 80's Braun electric.

It's all between me & the guy in the mirror Confused

~Frank

18 271
 05-20-2013, 07:29 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
Being around various forums since 08 I think attitudes towards carts has matured as the forums have grown and wet shaving has become more popular. Used to be you couldn't go a day without reading confessionals or angry rants about Gillette or cartridges.

Growth, security and tolerance of carts has been the result of the maturation and expansion of the hobby whereas bitter sectarianism, insecurity and intolerance could be found at the beginning or toddler years of the hobby. Smile

15 541
 05-20-2013, 09:04 PM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
Nothing wrong with using cartridges. I used them for about 15 years until I switched and didn't have a complaint about the shave aside from how much they cost.
While I don't plan on using it again I still have my Sensor handle from my teenage years.

2 515
 05-20-2013, 10:06 PM
User Info
Whatever floats someones boat. Of course it's YMMV.

I simply can't use them and get the shaves I can from a blade. Carts give me ingrowns if I get a close shave.

32 6,378
 05-21-2013, 01:37 AM
User Info
I honestly don't care what people shave with anymore, it doesn't make you any less of a person if you use a Fusion or a Straight for that matter. Spend your money how you want, more often than not, you get burned out on the online wet shaving scene due to people forcing their opinion down your throat.

0 652
 05-21-2013, 01:39 AM
User Info
I use my Gillette Fusion on an Edwin Jagger Bulbous Lined handle or an Edwin Jagger Chatsworth Barley Chrome handle twice a week.

Yes ! If used with a can of shaving gel, they do cause ingrown hair on my skin.
Yes ! If I shave every day with a Fusion and want BBS, I get a very irritated skin after the shave, even when I use perfect PREP and PRE shave products and perfect after shave products.

But as long as I use my Fusion on 2-3 days growth, I get very fine BBS shaves using 2 passes with no pressure. I have to rinse the cart often, in fact I rinse it all the time to avoid clogging the cart up.
AND I find that as long as I use my Fusion cart with a shaving cream and a brush, the ingrown hair issue is not there any more. Or the brush will rip the ingrown hair up in the open and it will be removed by the Fusion.

I far prefer to use one of my now 40+ DE razors, but I find that it takes me that extra 6-10 minutes to shave using a DE and 2 1/2 passes including touch ups.
Shaving should not be done in a hurry, so I save my DE shaves for the evening shaves, when I can add that extra 10 minutes into my shave Smile

So I see a benefit to using both a Fusion cart and a DE razor Smile

24 5,621
 05-21-2013, 04:11 AM
User Info
I like everyone's opinion and that is why we are here. Its anything to do about shaving and grooming in general. The only alternative shaving I personally don't like is electrics.

112 12,802
 05-21-2013, 09:34 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I have many razors of almost every type and I always use a DE and then a touch up with one of my Fusions...excellent on the neck and for across the cheek....and by the by with shaving cream or soap and warm water and a brush it is still WET Shaving....just another tool in the shaving arsenal.(and also used this way the cartridge lasts for months so cost isn,t even a factor)

6 1,974
 05-21-2013, 10:29 AM
  • Leo K.
  • Mankato MN
User Info
I still love my Gillette Sensor. It was my go-to for years.

1 750
 05-21-2013, 11:31 AM
User Info
I've enjoyed using my Sensor for the past month. Use what works for you the best. I've lucked out in that I can get a great shave using just about any razor, manual or electric.

Clayton

6 617
 05-21-2013, 12:36 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
One other point is that if you like Custom razors Joris/Plisson sells more Mach3 and Fusion than DE and almost every manufacturer including Muhle and Edwin Jagger offer dozens of high end cartridge razors ....so realistically you can have drug store to High end in every variety except SE which are not being produced any more.Check it out you will see quite a variety..perhaps in Europe DE isn,t as popular as cartridge.Opps forgot about Cobra Classic SE..!!!

6 1,974
 05-21-2013, 07:32 PM
User Info
I did save one of my Sensor handles, just in case. The whole cartridge with multi-blades doesn't work for me. I do have a package of the cheap store brand single blade disposables. Even if I were to use one, I'd still use a decent shave soap to lather up. YMMV, and different strokes for different folks. I don't think anyone needs to get sent off to "razor hell" simply because you do it differently. After all, maybe some who gets good results with a Fusion knows something about it that I don't.

1 346
 05-21-2013, 07:33 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
Well said, Yohann!
A lot of my choice has to do with time. I get up at 5:15 and am out of the house by ~5:45, so I am not going to wetshave in the mornings (except on the weekends).
So, I shave before bed a couple of nights a week. The other times, I shave in the car with my Brauns, or use a Mach 3 in the shower for a quick (and close) shave.
Of course, if I had my druthers, I'd always use straights/DEs, but I get precious little sleep as it is. You gotta go with what works for you.

59 827
 05-21-2013, 07:45 PM
  • diggity
  • Los Gatos, CA
User Info
A man speaking the truth! Every face is different indeed, and of course YMMV and all of that. I have been using Trac II blades and have been getting the best shaves I have ever had. But I know the guy above or below me might get the WORST shaves from these blades. At the end of the day, when you find something that works, stick with it and don't look back.

18 281
 05-21-2013, 10:35 PM
User Info
I use my Mach 3 or electric for quickie shaves once in a while too. But in regard to your post i think that a Cart or Electric shave forum may be a good idea. Traditional Wet shaving time period also had electrics and other shave related novelties but having a dedicated carts and electric forum may be more ideal. It will have one focus in mind and it can be visited on that particular interest....Most likely posting on the other non related forums the thread may be ignored or lost.

0 606
 05-22-2013, 05:25 PM
User Info
Trac II / Atra / Slim Twin handles and carts are used by yours truly when traveling or when deadlines at work take up too much time to allow for a leisurely shave.

1 2,827
 05-22-2013, 06:15 PM
User Info
Something that I did not know until I learned traditional wet shaving is that, just like wet shaving, electric shaving results are very dependent on prep and proper technique.

Done right, the electric shave is pretty darn good, but not as good to me as the traditional wet shave (TWS, since we have DFS and BBS?).

3 69