05-20-2013, 08:49 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
I recently purchased a 1460 Semogue. A week before I bought a 620. I have a few low end boars like an old Burma Shave I've been having for 20+ years. I've opened a few new Burma Shaves and have since PIFed them. I have an Omega 10066. And of course the old VdH. The 620 was GREAT out of the box. The Omega, all the Burma Shaves, and the VdH all performed pretty good right out of the box. Not so the 1460. I've been trying to break it in but it just doesn't hold enough lather. I always have to re-load to finish shaving. I've used it with creams, croaps, hard soaps, and a stick. (The stick was the worst). I'm really puzzled by this brushes behavior. I began looking at the brush closely and the knot looks like it was sort of trimmed. It's not symmetrical like the knots on my other brushes (Except the VdH. It looks a bit trimmed too but at least it makes and holds tons of lather).

My question is, has anyone else ever had a Semogue boar act in the same manner? This brush really ticks me off. The 620 was/is SO AWESOME. I really expected the 1460 to be at least as good as the Omega was out of the box. (The Omega NOW is a truly GREAT brush since it broke in). A new $4 Burma-Shave works better than the 1460...SAD!!!

Is it possible there are some knock-offs out there? IDK. I'm going to keep trying to get it broken in. Perhaps it will work better then.... As it stands right now, I wouldn't even give it away.....

5 1,151
 05-20-2013, 08:53 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I'm surprised your having trouble with yours mine is wonderful. I can't ever remember having any problems with flow through or loading enough for multiple passes. How many shaves in are you? Have you been soaking it before shaving?

45 3,955
 05-20-2013, 10:22 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Always soak it for at least 10 minutes. Most times even more...While I shower..at least 15-18 minutes.. I'm in at least 10 shaves... I've been using it every other shave trying/hoping it will improve...

5 1,151
 05-20-2013, 11:06 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Maybe try soaking for less time. Maybe only a few minutes and see what happens. It really shouldn't matter how long your soaking it for though but it's worth a shot.

45 3,955
 05-21-2013, 06:44 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(05-20-2013, 11:06 PM)tgutc Wrote: Maybe try soaking for less time. Maybe only a few minutes and see what happens. It really shouldn't matter how long your soaking it for though but it's worth a shot.
In addition try cleaning the brush in a solution of Borax and water. If borax is not available use household vinegar and water.

57 917
 05-21-2013, 09:43 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
I'm also surprised with your difficulties with the 1460. I really enjoy the brush and its performance top notch for myself. Sorry to hear that. Semogues do take time to break-in.

1 3,507
 05-21-2013, 11:37 AM
User Info
Let it dry for a couple day's in between uses. the hairs might split more allowing the brush to soften up and bloom out some more. This is what I did with my Semogue 1520.

Clayton

6 617
 05-21-2013, 02:05 PM
User Info
SJR, there was a thread maybe 6 months ago (that's a guess) where folks noticed their boars actually destroyed the lather with extended soaking time. You might try to find it with a search.

As already written, I'd try soaking it for a minute only.

32 6,309
 05-21-2013, 02:10 PM
User Info
Does your lather have lanolin, perhaps? I use arko to break in my boars. It helps the split ends arrive faster and profusely.

3 285
 05-21-2013, 02:22 PM
User Info
(05-21-2013, 02:05 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: SJR, there was a thread maybe 6 months ago (that's a guess) where folks noticed their boars actually destroyed the lather with extended soaking time. You might try to find it with a search.

As already written, I'd try soaking it for a minute only.

I just get mine good and wet and then shake out the excess water. Being that I share a bathroom I have to pack my shaving gear in every morning so I don't have the time to let things soak.

Clayton

6 617
 05-21-2013, 06:37 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Thanks Gents. I'll try starting dry. I will also give it a bath in vinegar as suggested. I just was expecting more of this brush out of the box. I understand they need to be broken in and I've done that with several boars. Thanks for the advice and I'll be reporting back on the results...

5 1,151
 05-22-2013, 06:44 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I used my 1460 this morning and soaked it for around a minute, then shook it out and loaded on my Knize Ten for around 25 seconds or so, just till the froth spilled out of the bowl. Then I face lathered. I did notice that the bristles are stiffer than my other brushes, but other than that I had a GREAT shave.

This is my 6th shave with it. It had a horrid stench when I first got it...good golly..I wanted to hurl when I first lathered it...I even gave it an oxy-clean soak , but the stink hung on til just this last shave. For me it shaves just like my 1470 and if i didn't know i'd say it was the same brush.

One thing I did when it was brand new was to swirl it on a towel when damp...It helped to loosed the bristles and made a world of difference in the very next shave...

Good Luck...and send me a PM if you want to sell it...lol

68 1,416
 05-23-2013, 12:26 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Well, I have two 1460's and they both perform great. Now, here is how I start to break in every boar I've purchased, no matter what the brand.

1. Soak brush (water level up to the color banding) in warm water for about 15 minutes.

2. Fill palm with shampoo and start working the brush in the shampoo until it lathers up. Move the brush side to side so the shampoo can work its way into the bristles.

3. Rinse well in warm water then repeat step 2.

4. After the final rinse, shake the brush out well then hang it bristles down to dry for two days.

5. Start using the brush with your favorite soap/cream

To truly break in a Semogue, especially a small one like the 1460, takes about 20-30 shaves.

I've heard all the pros and cons about to soak, not to soak, or how long to soak. I soak all by boars for a minimum of 15 minutes and sometimes as long as 25 minutes before putting the brush to soap. Now, I do not shake my brushes when I take them out of the soak. I let them drip naturally then just give them a couple of gentle up and down movements, then start to lather.

We all have our different ways of doing things and I have been doing it my way for longer than most on here are old.

173 23,504
 06-15-2013, 07:37 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Well after a month of alternating my 1460 every other shave it seems to be coming on.... It's not my favorite brush but if it continues to improve it could be in the top 3.... That's a good thing. I was a little disappointed in this brush. Not so much anymore.....

5 1,151
 06-16-2013, 02:53 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Glad to hear it!

45 3,955
 06-16-2013, 05:01 AM
User Info
(06-16-2013, 02:53 AM)tgutc Wrote: Glad to hear it!

+1

I'm a boar brush fan, both Omega and Semogue. Like Johnny, I haven't had a boar yet that didn't require some extensive break-in period, including my 1460.

Despite the break-in period, the broken in boar brushes are so soft against my face, work tremendously in both the bowl and on my face, that the break in period is well worth it.

The "Best" grade knot will continue to soften and soon enough will become a remarkable brush.

3 452
 06-16-2013, 10:25 AM
User Info
Great news Sav! My 620 was also perfect right out of the box and became the best brush I own very quickly. My SOC took a good long while and improved slowly. Then one day it just exploded, I figured maybe letting it dry out thoroughly may have split the hairs further since I had let it sit for a week or two before trying it again. Now it's great but still takes a backseat to the cheap little 620.

6 1,224