05-21-2013, 02:23 PM
User Info
So I finally broke down and bought 2 MDC Unscented 200 gram soaps in the glass jar.

I plan on doing one thing in my shaving life the simple way - by using only one soap, yes only one soap.

But why limit yourself to just one soap, when you can get so many other fine soaps, you probably will ask me Tongue

My reply: I have so far avoided soaps, because they tend to dry out my skin more so than when I use regular shaving cream. But a friend send me a free 50 gram travel version of the MDC unscented shaving soap, and this soap does not dry out my skin like other soaps tend to.

I tried it in combination with some of my shaving creams, dipping the brush in the MDC soap and applying some cream directly to my face with my fingers and I got an excellent lather out of it each time.

So I ordered two 200 gram pots of the unscented MDC and will use it in combination with my creams for a great mix Cool

Can I expect the soap to last for long ?
I hope 200 gram MDC will provide me with enough soap for 150 shaves......

I own 60-70 shaving creams, but for once in my life I will keep it simple and only use one soap, the unscented MDC Biggrin

I know MWF, Canali, DR Harris and others make great soaps, but I feel with MDC that I have started at the very top Thumbup

What do you guys think Tongue

22 5,078
 05-21-2013, 03:33 PM
User Info
I would say that 2 200g jars would last at least two years, probably closer 2 1/2 years.

72 1,407
 05-21-2013, 03:37 PM
  • ohpaos
  • United States
User Info
I know of a very heavy-soap loader getting 110 shaves from a 200g pot, so I think you can easily get 150+ shaves.

I'm happy to conduct more rigorous testing for you. Just send the extra pot & I'll report the results here. You're welcome. Biggrin

2 36
 05-21-2013, 03:53 PM
User Info
Claus,
I am a heavy loader (20-30s) using my MdC. I received it on January 4, 2013 and since then I have logged exactly 79 shaves as well as 4 test lathers. Below is a fairly recent picture showing how much soap is gone. That picture was about 3 weeks ago but my usage on this pot has slowed down as I also enjoy using the Fougere version. So I would say that this picture still represents over 70 uses from someone who loads this soap heavily. As you are super lathering it, I doubt that you'll load for as long as I do and thus you could easily get 2-3 times the lifespan.

[Image: mZvCIbV.jpg]

(05-21-2013, 03:37 PM)ohpaos Wrote: I know of a very heavy-soap loader getting 110 shaves from a 200g pot, so I think you can easily get 150+ shaves.

I'm happy to conduct more rigorous testing for you. Just send the extra pot & I'll report the results here. You're welcome. Biggrin

Wow, I'm a heavy loader with almost 80 uses on my pot and there is no way that it will be gone in only 30 more uses. I'm pretty sure that I'll top 150 uses even with loading for 20-30s each time.

31 7,914
 05-21-2013, 04:35 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I want to get one of those pots so I can have any number of uses cause right now I don't have any MdC.

1 819
 05-21-2013, 05:18 PM
User Info
I did a few tests with my jar last year.

I used an average of 0.8 to 1.285g per shave over the course of a few week long tests where I measured amounts used. the 0.8 was with about an 8-10 sec load time. the 1.285 was with about a 15 sec load time.

I much prefer the 15 to even 20sec load for MdC. with my numbers and a daily 3 pass shave of thick and luxurious lather with a layer on face during clean up, a 200g jar would last me about 160 shaves. this was with a mix of boar, badger, face and bowl lathering.

As a general rule, I Face Lather MdC 90% of the time now

no point in trying to make it last forever. use it and enjoy it, that's what it's for.

8 2,718