05-21-2013, 02:43 PM
User Info
Hi lads,Geordie Sam here,back in the early seventies my father who was a docker (longshoreman) came out of a pub down on the docks late one night,fell over due to the effects of too many bottles of "dog" and broke his ankle,he staggered home (3 miles) went to bed,got up the next day,(he NEVER took a day off), walked the 3 miles back to work,where he and a pal concockted a "story" about how a badly slung hoist had crashed into him and broke his ankle,to cut a long story short,6 months later he got a cheque through the post for £3000,which probably in todays money is about £15000 or $23000,he slipped his mate a few quid,and me and my brother had a fantastic Christmas,as ever. People were made of different stuff back then.My father died in 2005, his name was Stan.I still miss him badly.I like to keep his memory alive as often as I can.
Geordie Sam.

0 79
 05-21-2013, 04:32 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
A "Story" said from "The Heart", with convection and with a touch of the truth, can be a Merry Ole Tale indeed.

1 819
 05-21-2013, 07:36 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
LOL, love this story, funny. Stan sounded like a guy with heart. Smile

15 541
 05-21-2013, 07:38 PM
User Info
A heartwarming worker's compensation fraud story? Hmm

31 7,914
 05-21-2013, 08:50 PM
  • RobE
  • NY USA
User Info
A different breed? No. We're the same breed, but they lived in tougher times. We can only look back in admiration, and sometimes even awe... at the lives our forebears lived. No doubt your dad toughed it out... and whatever the nature of his 'broken bone' really was... I'm left in (almost) disbelief, of your story of his incident. Not that I doubt something happened...

I had a broken ankle when I was a young teenager. It was set in a cast and I needed crutches to walk and it took months to heal. There's no way he could have walked or worked (on two feet) with a significantly broken ankle, but I enjoyed the story and can appreciate a sons admiration for the strength and accomplishments of his dad. Sounds like a Paul Bunyan story. I'm sure there's a lot of truth in it. Maybe a sprain or a bone bruise. A seriously broken ankle? No way!

17 290
 05-22-2013, 01:12 AM
User Info
RobE,thanks for your response,(which I find rather disingenuous) but what your doing is liken yourself to someone else who you have never met,and also who's strength of character and determination you know nothing about.
Of course there are different levels of a broken bone,as there are different levels of peoples own tolerences to pain,how else do you explain that some people can put up with torture for instance,while some "cave" at the first bit of discomfort.
I would like Sharpspine's (brian) expert opinion on this please.
Sam.
ps Paul Bunyan?,was that him played for the Green Bay Packers.?

0 79
 05-22-2013, 08:00 AM
User Info
I am certainly no expert when it comes to broken bones. If I even suspect someone in my office has a break, then I refer them immediately for medical consultation, diagnosis, & appropriate treatment. Therefore, I cannot comment further on the requested information.

31 7,914
 05-22-2013, 08:16 AM
  • RobE
  • NY USA
User Info
Sam, There was nothing disingenuous about my post, but certainly, it's disingenuous of you to thank me for it, (but wait)...

Let me start again... by apologizing. I'm sorry to have cast aspersions on your story. It wasn't my place no matter my own experience. The Paul Bunyan comment? He was a mythical, larger-than-life figure (almost like our parents can appear to us when we're young), whose variety of accomplishments were of the impossible.

So that's how I picked-up on your own tall tale. That it was real, I have no doubt. How severe the break? I did have doubt... and so posted.

Again, my apologies. I'm sorry to have 'said' anything. I should know better (by now), not to post on forums, after I've quaffed a few... It always seems to get me in trouble.

17 290
 05-22-2013, 08:48 AM
User Info
RobE,no one knows more than ME about being too quick with a response.Anyway back to the case in hand. There are different levels of breaks,maybe yours was more serious,and if that's the case it's only right and proper you should question my story.
I CERTAINLY did not take offence at your post,that's why I put a "gag" about Paul Bunyan at the end.
As Shakespeare put it "let us remain as friends".
Geordie Sam.

0 79