04-11-2012, 09:01 AM
  • MrGuy
  • Black Hills of SD
User Info
I live near one of the largest motorcycle rallies in the world, Sturgis, South Dakota, so it's almost a given that I've been riding motorcycles longer than I've legally been allowed to. Who else enjoys a good ride? What/where is your favorite ride? Right now I have a 1979 BMW R-65 and a 2007 Yamaha V-Max. I prefer to ride the Beemer most of the time, but it's kind of a work in progress, so the V-Max gets out more often. I've been spoiled living in the Black Hills, we have such a great selection of all kinds of roads locally, and even more outstanding options if you like day long rides. Smooth, straight roads. Intricate, more technical twisting and turning hilly roads. My favorite route gets me out to the Badlands of South Dakota, I get the annual park pass every year and get a great value from it. My favorite all time individual ride was about 3 and a half years ago, I went solo on an Iron Butt challenge ride. 1561 miles in 34 hours and 10 minutes. All but the last few hours were cold, windy, and wet. Even hit some hail outside of Sidney, Nebraska. It was a huge challenge, both physically and mentally, but one that I would do again in a second. My avatar pic is from one of the only shots I got on the whole ride, fighting the weather kind of put the camera out of my mind. I was on the V-Max for that ride. My motto was "1500 miles, 3 gallons at a time". (The V-Max is not well known as a "touring" bike, but some guys make it work.)
I'll give a tip in closing, save your old drier sheets. When it's time to clean the bike, dip them in some water, wring out the excess and use the sheet to wipe off the bugs. Very little effort is required and it's safe for all surfaces, paint, chrome, plastics. Not only does it remove bugs with just a couple of wipes, but I also used that trick to get tar off my brother's truck once. It took a little more elbow grease, but much easier than anything else we tried.

1 73
 04-11-2012, 09:22 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Andy,

You sir live in one of my favorite parts of the country. I no longer own a bike, but my all time favorite road trip about 10-years ago was to the Badlands and the Black Hills on a week long journey, on my BMW R100.

173 23,553
 04-11-2012, 06:16 PM
  • MrGuy
  • Black Hills of SD
User Info
Glad you enjoyed the area, Johnny! Nice choice of bike tooSmile The hills are a very nice place indeed. Not the kind of place where the benefits are right up close and obvious, but if you're willing to look around and enjoy what it has it's hard to beat. Beautiful scenery, all kinds of outdoors activity, antique stores where the shave gear is plentifulBiggrin

1 73
 04-12-2012, 09:55 AM
  • Java
  • Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
User Info
Andy; I fell in love with the first R65LS I ever saw, and I've loved them every since. I was about 21 years old when they were first made. I remember all of my riding buddies thinking I was nuts for wanting such a "little" bike when I had just bought a brand new Honda CB900four. I never actually got an R65, but wanting one has shaped the rest of my riding career. I bought one big Honda after another up through the '96 CB900rr, then I started realizing how seldom I actually used all that juice. Then began a succession of smaller and smaller bikes. I'm between bikes right now, and I'm leaning towards the 250 Ninja for my next one. My riding philosophy has become "it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than to ride a fast bike slow". I'd still like to find a nice R65LS, though. Anyway, I too pretty much live in God's Country for motorcycle roads, in the mountains of north Georgia. My favorite road (during "off peak" hours) is a section of US129 through Deal's Gap a couple of hours north of me. (see http://www.tailofthedragon.com) Y'all ought to come visit some time.

0 271
 04-12-2012, 05:48 PM
  • MrGuy
  • Black Hills of SD
User Info
Looks like some great riding out there, Tom! Some of the maps in your link look a lot like my area. I know exactly what you mean about picking roads based on "off-peak". I have to stay away from some of the best roads during rally time. Too many people riding beyond their skill level makes for some hairy rides. You're right about the bike choice as well, bigger does not always equal better. I hope you are able to find a nice BMW some daySmile

1 73
 04-14-2012, 10:36 AM
  • England
User Info
Life long biker here Andy, Been on two wheels since the '70's. In fact I don't own a car. I'm on the bike all year round. Riding a Hog at the mo 883 custom sport ,a 350 Royal Enfield Bullet , NX650 Honda, couple of air heads. My lads ride and my 79 year old father is still out on his hog nearly every day weather permitting. I love bikes Biggrin
Now Sturgis, South Dakota is a place I would love to visit during bike week. Keep riding my man it keeps ya youngCool

0 110
 04-14-2012, 09:26 PM
  • MrGuy
  • Black Hills of SD
User Info
That's great, John! Sadly, the weather here restricts riding some of the year. There have been a few times I rode to work with the intention of going back home over lunch to change from the bike to the car. Well, things get busy sometimes, it's easy to forget how you made it to work sometimes, and sometimes you get to ride home in the snowTongue It's nice to hear about your Dad still riding. I love running into the "old guard" while on rides. They have some of the best stories. I hope I can be one of those guys some day. I also hope you get to make it to Sturgis some time, and you are correct. The only time any one would really want to visit is during the rallyWink

1 73
 04-15-2012, 08:02 AM
  • England
User Info
I can imagine your winters can be quite grim :qmiedo:

Here is photo of myself and Dad taken during the " Ride Of Respect" ............left of photograpth.
It takes place in a town in Wiltshire which is very close to the RAF air base where the fallen are brought home. The ride generates a amount of cash for vets.

In true Brit fashion it was rainingBiggrin

0 110