05-22-2013, 01:32 AM
User Info
Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I'd like to get some input on the following matter:

On weekdays when time is short I shave with a Feather all stainless DE razor (first version) loaded with feather blades. Very mild (perhaps a bit too mild for my taste) shaver, very good results.

When I have time (weekends) I shave with my Iwasaki-kamisori, not so well known perhaps but here is a picture. Demands a lot of respect and a steady, slow hand but results are excellent and nicks rare. Couldn't use it on a daily basis though, for that it's a bit too rough on my skin.

Due to my job I live in 2 places, 4000 miles apart and I didn't want to shift my Feather DE every time (travelling once a month with carryon luggage so a DE even when not loaded, always gives me grief with airport security). I'm looking to purchase a new all stainless DE. After looking at a couple of brands/models I'm hesitating between the Ikon OSS and the Tradere OC. Never used an OC before in my life but want to give it a try.

Aesthetically I have a small preference for the ikon because I like a matte/brushed finish and the Tradere head is shiny but I wonder if the dual bar/comb head on the ikon is really useful or if it will effectively turn my DE into an SE, which I absolutely don't want..

Am I correct in thinking that quality between both brands is at the same high level? Do you see any real added value in the dual head on the ikon? Is the Tradere OC not too harsh on the skin? Is the ikon oc side less aggressive than the Tradere (I'm looking for a DE that's more aggressive than my Feather but a bit less than the Iwasaki)? How about blade insertion/removal, equally easy with both? Last but not least: which would you get, pricing not being a factor?

Thanks for your insights!

0 3
 05-22-2013, 02:02 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Welcome to the Nook!

The quality of both razors are top notch. The Tradere wins in my book as far as overall quality.

No doubt you will find much more than I could write if you visit the Stainless Shootout.. Samjax has done an amazing job with the details and the additional feedback from others comments rounds it all out.

I had the OSS and have been a huge iKon fan since the first prototypes, but it's the older iKon products I prefer. I sold the OSS. The SB side was way too mild for me and I found myself using just the OC side. Plus I was not loving the sintered construction.

I've used all three Tradere models and kept only the first Generation Open Comb. It gives me an amazing shave and no irritation. The SB version was way to aggressive for me; a real wild ride. That said, others love it.

I think you will find the iKon OSS and any of the Tradere's will spread across the gap between your Iwasaki and Feather as far as aggression. Each one (and I am thinking all five options.. two sides of the OSS and three Tradere options) is just slightly different and if I had to put them in order least aggression to most.. OSS SB, Tradere Gen II OC, OSS OC, Tradere Gen I OC, Tradere SB. But YMMV.

As far as loading then.. Each is as easy as the next.

The handles on the Tradere are head and shoulders above the iKon. And, the Tradere's are made here in the US!!

33 914
 05-22-2013, 03:13 AM
User Info
Tradere razors offer superior craftsmanship compared to the newer sintered stainless steel iKon offerings if you ask me. However, with that being said, I'm not sure the Tradere is the way to go for you, the blade sits flat like with the 2011 R41, and you may or may not have trouble getting on with it.

[Image: p1391451272-5.jpg]

0 652
 05-22-2013, 03:16 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
My advice would be to purchase the iKon Deluxe Open Comb.

It is an effective razor, not mild and not too aggressive.

I owned the first generation Tradere OC and SB. I sold both as neither I could master. Both were fussy in terms of angle and provided me with uncomfortable results.

Forget about the OSS. It is too mild and you'll end up using one side and not the other.

I own the Feather D1 and am among the few that can achieve a decent shave with it, but I more regularly use the Feather AC (folding and non folding) and Joris, so I do prefer a more aggressive razor. Both of these options work best for me if I have time or two days growth, whereas the iKon is so carefree I could probably shave twice a day with it if I needed to (I have a very coarse, omni directional growth that provides me with my 5 o'clock shadow by midday...)

91 17,884
 05-22-2013, 03:18 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(05-22-2013, 03:13 AM)Sodapopjones Wrote: Tradere razors offer superior craftsmanship compared to the newer sintered stainless steel iKon offerings if you ask me. However, with that being said, I'm not sure the Tradere is the way to go for you, the blade sits flat like with the 2011 R41, and you may or may not have trouble getting on with it.

[Image: p1391451272-5.jpg]

I've own both version of the R41 - 2011 (untamed) and the more recent tamed version. While the 2011 did demand extra attention, I can happily shave with either, I can't say the same for the first generation Tradere OC or SB...

91 17,884
 05-22-2013, 03:39 AM
User Info
I would 2nd the Ikon Open Comb Deluxe - great shaver with no real negatives. The only razor I prefer to it is the Above The Tie Stainless with the M plate.

47 1,114
 05-22-2013, 04:24 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I agree on the iKon OC Deluxe.

100 12,450
 05-22-2013, 02:43 PM
User Info
Many thanks to all! Your advice is much appreciated. I just placed an order for the iKon OC Deluxe. Agree that the Tradere looks a lot more refined, the picture posted above is simply breathtaking (and the steel's not sintered) but in the end I'm looking for a workhouse razor and as was mentioned in another post, the iKon has a bit of an industrial look to it which I like very much. Will certainly let you know how imho the iKon compares to my current Feather D1.

For the leisurely weekend shave I'll stay with my Kamisori though.

0 3
 05-24-2013, 09:14 PM
User Info
.....after congratulating myself for exercising restraint and sound judgment because I limited myself to one razor...I finally cracked and ordered the Tradere OC and the R41 (2013 tuned-down version) too. We'll see. Comparison coming up in one month or so. Luckily my wife doesn't care how I spend my money.

0 3
 05-25-2013, 01:11 PM
User Info
Wow so much for that question. Biggrin

0 652