04-11-2012, 10:21 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I was being a wise guy and changed my successful prep of Mr. Glo, hot towel and Trumper's Coral Skin Food to a prep of KMF cream, the Lavender-Shea version to be specific.
I was inspired by the Barbasol prep thread. (No blame here, it's all my fault!)

I sit here at work with two days growth and a wicked rash on my neck. Nothing else has changed and I've never experienced this before so I attribute it to the KMF cream. Unfortunately, I can't pick out any specific ingredient(s) that made it happen.

How the heck am I gonna shave around this and/or deal with this growth?! Huh Confused
Thankfully, my work environment is very casual and I'll just get the "are you growing a beard?" question over and over. Very frustrating!

6 905
 04-11-2012, 11:31 AM
User Info
Ouch! I dared attempt using a Feather recently, and it showed my technique was not as good as I thought it was. You would have thought I was trying to kill myself, the amount of blood. Took three days before I could comfortably shave again. Good luck with the rash!

1 223
 04-11-2012, 11:43 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
'Dilution negates pollution.'
Rinse your kit thoroughly and let your face recover.
All will be well with time.
Half who try feathers feel empathy with the full face transplants in recent news.

2 3,171
 04-11-2012, 12:54 PM
User Info
EHV,
You might want to try unrefined Shea Butter to help alleviate the irritation. It works beautifully for such situations and leaves your skin very soft. i have been using it even before i started wet shaving and it is a great product. Just my opinion. i shave every day, and even when i get irritation, in the neck area, it is always gone by the next day and i attribute it to the Shea Butter. Make sure it is unrefined. Good luck.

75 20,883
 04-11-2012, 11:14 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
If I'm using a product or products that have served me well for years, I apply this old saying: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Sometimes those are good words to live by even though we get the urge to try different things.

Heal well my friend.

173 23,547
 04-12-2012, 03:36 AM
User Info
Ouch! Sounds bad!

KMF is supposed to be pretty non-allerginic, but I guess there's always a chance that you'd react badly to something in it.

Heal well, and just think of how much fun it's going to be when you tackle that beard. Biggrin

37 1,731
 04-12-2012, 04:38 AM
User Info
Have you tried any sunburn relief lotion with lidocaine?

18 569
 04-12-2012, 06:39 AM
User Info
I've used shea butter with good results. Bag Balm also works well. Apply them in the evening and the redness is pretty much gone in the morning. In the morning when I didn't want to feel greasy I've used witch hazel with a couple of drops of glycerine and had good results. Basically you want to get the moisture back into the irritated skin cells to help with the healing process.

Clayton

6 617
 04-12-2012, 07:10 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Bag Balm, now there's a product I have not used in a long time. We use to keep college baseball players during the summer months and that product was always in demand. Clayton is correct, it will knock out a rash almost overnight.

173 23,547
 04-12-2012, 07:13 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Ouch! I hope you are healed by now?

35 2,703
 04-12-2012, 07:21 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Thank you for all of the responses and the suggestions! All fantastic and will be tried in the future if needed.

Thankfully, I was able to get through a shave. I usually shave at night but I hit the area with multiple applications of witch hazel and Krampert's Finest Acadian Spice and......in the early AM, the rash was so minimal, I was happily able to shave!
Actually, after the shave, the areas were even better off.
A positive reaction to a careful DFS with products known to be mild to me and Brian's product comes through once again for me.

Years ago, I had a girlfriend that used Bag Balm for her lips. That stuff worked amazingly! I had forgotten about it.

6 905
 04-12-2012, 07:22 AM
User Info
(04-12-2012, 07:10 AM)Johnny Wrote: Bag Balm, now there's a product I have not used in a long time. We use to keep college baseball players during the summer months and that product was always in demand. Clayton is correct, it will knock out a rash almost overnight.
When I was an auto mechanic I used it to help heal my dry cracked, and cut hands. It works wonders.

Clayton

6 617