05-24-2013, 08:06 AM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
Hi,

This is just something I thought about while reading forum postings...

OK. We all know the YMMV aspects of wetshaving, my favorite razor and blade may be your idea of torture and so on.

So here's my philosophical question that those of you who regularly shave other people could best answer.

Would you shave with different razor and blade combinations depending on the face you are shaving, or would the choice of equipment come down to the shaver's (your) preference? My gut reaction is that I would use what I like and unless there was a problem I would probably do the same for everyone. My take on shaving preferences is that it's very dictated by what works with your technique, not just your skin and beard.

0 911
 05-24-2013, 08:49 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
The last year and a half of my Dad's life (73-74) I shaved him. One of the most enjoyable things I have ever done. I chose what to use back then which was either Old Spice or Colgate Soap, Ever Ready Boar Brush, Double Duck Straight, and finished with either Old Spice or Mennen Skin Bracer. Sometimes I would use a little Talc if my Dad wanted it. Generally on Sunday mornings as he always wanted to look and feel his best on Sundays.

173 23,540
 05-24-2013, 09:23 AM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
(05-24-2013, 08:49 AM)Johnny Wrote: The last year and a half of my Dad's life (73-74) I shaved him. One of the most enjoyable things I have ever done. I chose what to use back then which was either Old Spice or Colgate Soap, Ever Ready Boar Brush, Double Duck Straight, and finished with either Old Spice or Mennen Skin Bracer. Sometimes I would use a little Talc if my Dad wanted it. Generally on Sunday mornings as he always wanted to look and feel his best on Sundays.

Johnny,

That's a touching story. It must have been special to do that for your Dad.

0 911
 05-24-2013, 09:37 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Other than my wedding and the birth of my children, the most enjoyable/rewarding thing I've ever done.

173 23,540
 05-24-2013, 11:27 AM
User Info
Interesting thread for me as I've had a similar experience to Johnny. My 83 yo father has lived with us for the last 3 years and my wife and I have both started wet shaving him these last few months. He has dementia and as this has worsened, he's less interested in shaving himself. He previously used an electric shaver for as long as I can remember. Wet shaving him felt initially, like some weird experiment.

His current set is a Semogue 830 Boar brush and a 1954 Gillette Flare tip. While I like these, they'll get little use in my rotation.

I love trying new soaps on him. Mostly finish with some Thayer's witchhazel and T&H Spanish Leather AS or Proraso ASL (I love the look on his face when he gets the fresh menthol hit from the Proraso).

I find this experience immensely enjoyable. My wife is very practical and probably less pedantic, often reaching for a double blade disposable cartridge. She does like using the brush and lathering things up though.

Interestingly, this process also nicely justifies many of my ADs and acts as a modified PIF system!

0 221
 05-24-2013, 11:41 AM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
Wow. You both have taken this thread far beyond the "musing" question that I originally posed. Thanks for sharing your touching stories.

So far my 85 yr old Dad is very vigorous and still plays golf nearly every day, so I'm very fortunate.

My original question was more in the vein of: "Without the feedback of feel, would you experiment with different setups?"

Shaving yourself, your face is the one "constant" that you can't swap out. Shaving others you are more like an artist with different canvasses.

0 911
 05-24-2013, 12:16 PM
User Info
Sorry to have gone off topic somewhat. Thanks for letting us indulge a little in your thread. Back to your question:

If you end up shaving different faces a lot, I reckon you would settle on a combo that works well for most - rather than what you may necessarily use yourself.

Interesting analogy you make with being an artist. There's definitely a feeling of being able to experiment.

0 221
 05-24-2013, 01:05 PM
User Info
Very interesting thread so far.

32 6,309
 05-24-2013, 05:14 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
I will slant my response to my experiences shaving an elder who was no longer shaving himself. I never shaved anyone else who could still shave themself.
one aspect of shaving another person, (my Dad, or yours) that I would take into consideration, is this: it is normal to experience some decline in the skin's ability to tolerate anything overly harsh...blades, razors, prep, aftershaves, etc. with advancing age
or whatever a medical condition, or even medication can dictate.

so, I deferred to my Dad's needs, and not my own preferrences.
he loved it when I cleaned up his beard borders and gave him a haircut.

0 1,291
 05-24-2013, 05:52 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
If I were going to shave anyone else it would be with a straight razor. To me it gives better feedback. Although I might use a Schick Injector.

173 23,540
 05-26-2013, 05:58 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
I hope someone is around to shave me when I can't do it myself anymore....

5 1,151