05-25-2013, 06:33 AM
User Info
The last two weeks I have tried an experiment with a Feather blade. If you have ever read any of my comments on Feather blades you know I have had very little fondness for them. Two shaves with a blade are simply unacceptable for me. The third shave has always been a miserable experience.

I could not understand why they wouldn't last longer for me since I only shave 50 to 70 percent of my face I thought they should last 30 to 50 percent longer for me. DIDN'T HAPPEN!

Well my GF had a bottle of generic "Best Choice" Baby oil sitting on her sink and since she had no problem commandeering my Thayers Alcohol free Rose witch hazel, I didn't think she would mind if I borrowed a few drops of her baby oil Wink

So after every DE shave I cleaned the razor and blade like normal but wiped the edge of the Feather blade with my finger covered with the baby oil. Third shave just like the second! Fourth shave just the same Idea Fifth Woo Hoo ! The sixth I noticed a slight drop in sharpness but still better than some new blades I use.

I have no idea what the heck made it work. Was it the oil? Was it the act of wiping the blade with my finger? Or was it just a better blade than normal? I will be trying a fresh Feather this coming week to see if it was just an anomalous blade but I have high hopes.

Will it displace my Russian blades as my favorites? Probably not because I don't have to carry around another item when I travel with them but it's nice to know I have another good possible option Biggrin

6 1,224
 05-25-2013, 07:19 AM
User Info
no way I'm cleaning my Feather blades with baby oil and my finger.

I give it 2 weeks before you get a good slice from it. Confused

for $0.30 each, I didn't mind if they only last 2 or 3 shaves. you are probably spending more in baby oil and time trying to extend their life.

I found they would only last 2-3, 3 pass shaves in my slim and some other razors, but would easily go 5-6 in my Feather AS-D1 or other milder razors.

but maybe that's just me. Undecided

8 2,718
 05-25-2013, 07:40 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Wonder what would happen if you just applied a small amount of that baby oil to your face before you lathered.

173 23,553
 05-25-2013, 07:52 AM
User Info
Good luck with the experiment, Eric! Smile

75 20,883
 05-25-2013, 10:02 AM
User Info
(05-25-2013, 07:19 AM)Bruce Wrote: no way I'm cleaning my Feather blades with baby oil and my finger.

I give it 2 weeks before you get a good slice from it. Confused

for $0.30 each, I didn't mind if they only last 2 or 3 shaves. you are probably spending more in baby oil and time trying to extend their life.

I found they would only last 2-3, 3 pass shaves in my slim and some other razors, but would easily go 5-6 in my Feather AS-D1 or other milder razors.

but maybe that's just me. Undecided
I sometimes forget that sharp edges can be intimidating. I have razor blades in my hand almost every day along with cut glass with edges that are much sharper than the razor blades. So while I have a healthy respect for sharp edges I don't feel intimidated as long as I am in control of said edges. I do think a healthy respect for that edge is a must!

(05-25-2013, 07:40 AM)Johnny Wrote: Wonder what would happen if you just applied a small amount of that baby oil to your face before you lathered.
That may be something to try,Johnny ! I have a new bottle of Loyd's Shaving oil which I used for one shave with good effect with my lone Straight razor shave of the year. Maybe I can give that a go as well.

I think this experiment is fueled by the fact that my favorite blades are produced by Gillette in Russia and I get nervous about how long they will continue to manufacture these. I also Like Crystal and the Gillette Super Thin. But the Crystal I only like in the Fatip and the Super thins only in the Progress and Fatip.

(05-25-2013, 07:52 AM)celestino Wrote: Good luck with the experiment, Eric! Smile

Thank you my friend! Biggrin

6 1,224
 05-25-2013, 10:03 PM
User Info
Quote:I think this experiment is fueled by the fact that my favorite blades are produced by Gillette in Russia and I get nervous about how long they will continue to manufacture these.

* Holy cow, Eric, i can't believe you don't have enough blades stocked up for a few life-times! Biggrin

75 20,883
 05-29-2013, 08:59 PM
User Info
Interesting. I don't use DE Feathers for exactly the same reason; 2 shaves and it's trash. I'm curious to read more.

FWIW, SE feathers give me about 10 shaves. I don't know if it's a different grind, or the lack of flexing (stiffer blade) makes the difference.

32 6,311
 05-30-2013, 04:23 PM
User Info
(05-25-2013, 10:03 PM)celestino Wrote: * Holy cow, Eric, i can't believe you don't have enough blades stocked up for a few life-times! Biggrin

Maybe that would be easier Biggrin

(05-29-2013, 08:59 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Interesting. I don't use DE Feathers for exactly the same reason; 2 shaves and it's trash. I'm curious to read more.

FWIW, SE feathers give me about 10 shaves. I don't know if it's a different grind, or the lack of flexing (stiffer blade) makes the difference.

Well so far so good on blade two. I,\'m past the dreaded 3rd shave. I can only surmise that the edge of these blades are more subject to corrosion. I hardly feel my finger is doing much stropping. Is it worth it? I can't say for sure. It takes very little effort.

Now I wonder how many shaves I can get out of a Polsilver SI or Gillette Silver Blue Blush

6 1,224
 05-31-2013, 02:20 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Not sure which is more of an oddity..

You wiping the edge of blade with your finger.. a Feather to boot. Or your third shave experience with the Feathers. Most folks hate the first two shaves while the blade settles down. You prefer the two hairy-scary shaves. hmm..maybe that explains why you like to wipe the blade with your finger??

2424A6A6

What-ever works !!

33 914
 05-31-2013, 06:34 PM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
The oil could be preventing corrosion that dulls blades. Could be your tap water is especially harsh and was corroding your blades until you started applying oil. Just a theory. How about cleaning your blades with baby oil saturating a cotton swab. Much safer.

2 334
 06-04-2013, 06:56 PM
User Info
(05-31-2013, 02:20 AM)MikekiM Wrote: Not sure which is more of an oddity..

You wiping the edge of blade with your finger.. a Feather to boot. Or your third shave experience with the Feathers. Most folks hate the first two shaves while the blade settles down. You prefer the two hairy-scary shaves. hmm..maybe that explains why you like to wipe the blade with your finger??

2424A6A6

What-ever works !!

Biggrin for me the third shave is like shaving with a Derby in the tugging department. While my old leather can handle an aggressive blade and razor it just doesn't react well to tugging. Leaves my face feeling awful .

(05-31-2013, 06:34 PM)Blue line Wrote: The oil could be preventing corrosion that dulls blades. Could be your tap water is especially harsh and was corroding your blades until you started applying oil. Just a theory. How about cleaning your blades with baby oil saturating a cotton swab. Much safer.

I think you may be on to something with the corrosion. Although I get a week of shaves from a few other brands without care.

I appreciate the concern for my fingers ! But I wipe silicone and butyl off of razor edges constantly and the glass is much more unforgiving. Sharp edges are simply a fact of life in my profession and one had to learn to respect them.

6 1,224
 06-09-2013, 02:30 PM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
You have more courage than me, for trying this. I could guarantee there would be blood all over my bathroom if I tried this.

15 970
 06-09-2013, 02:36 PM
User Info
what about olive oil?

4 101
 06-09-2013, 06:36 PM
User Info
(06-09-2013, 02:30 PM)tsimmns Wrote: You have more courage than me, for trying this. I could guarantee there would be blood all over my bathroom if I tried this.
It's kind of like handling a firearm or climbing around at great heights. I would never recommend any of them if you are not 100 percent comfortable with it!

(06-09-2013, 02:36 PM)Karl Wrote: what about olive oil?

That might work? But I just don't know. The baby oil was there in front of me so I gave it a whirl. I got 5 great shaves with this last blade so I feel it is worth the effort if my favorite blades get discontinued.

My against the grain passes are where my blade decisions rest. I have always used about a 30 degree slew of the razor(kind of like a slant razor but more pronounced) on this pass to eliminate tugging which is about the only thing that mechanically irritates my skin. With the Feathers this pass is really very pleasant and has the least amount of tugging I have experienced. The oil just keeps them up to speed for a work week for me.

I don't think I have a very dense beard it is just wiry on my neck. On my face any blade seems to do just fine at any angle. I just couldn't understand why since I only shave about half of the area most men do why the blades didn't last twice as long?

6 1,224
 06-14-2013, 03:54 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(05-25-2013, 06:33 AM)Nickadermis Wrote: The last two weeks I have tried an experiment with a Feather blade. If you have ever read any of my comments on Feather blades you know I have had very little fondness for them. Two shaves with a blade are simply unacceptable for me. The third shave has always been a miserable experience.

I could not understand why they wouldn't last longer for me since I only shave 50 to 70 percent of my face I thought they should last 30 to 50 percent longer for me. DIDN'T HAPPEN!

Well my GF had a bottle of generic "Best Choice" Baby oil sitting on her sink and since she had no problem commandeering my Thayers Alcohol free Rose witch hazel, I didn't think she would mind if I borrowed a few drops of her baby oil Wink

So after every DE shave I cleaned the razor and blade like normal but wiped the edge of the Feather blade with my finger covered with the baby oil. Third shave just like the second! Fourth shave just the same Idea Fifth Woo Hoo ! The sixth I noticed a slight drop in sharpness but still better than some new blades I use.

I have no idea what the heck made it work. Was it the oil? Was it the act of wiping the blade with my finger? Or was it just a better blade than normal? I will be trying a fresh Feather this coming week to see if it was just an anomalous blade but I have high hopes.

Will it displace my Russian blades as my favorites? Probably not because I don't have to carry around another item when I travel with them but it's nice to know I have another good possible option Biggrin
Hi, I'm a newbie here but less of one to wet shaving. My experience is almost exactly the same with Feathers. I have a on -the-heavy-side-of-average beard, (it's really how fast my beard grows that's a pain. I'd have to shave a second time a day if I was going out after work, depends,now I'm too old to care) but anyways I try this blade everyone is so crazy about and it's a little sharper...the first day, on pass two maybe three of the second day it's a deposit. In my blade bank. Now I have started trying baby oil as a pre-shave oil and it works great with my current favs, Gillette 7 O'clock yellows. But I'll never run my finger across any blade...even a Derby.

6 2,006
 06-20-2013, 01:56 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Two things in wet shaving I just don't get, Feathers and Simpsons. Good, but not that good. and in the case of Feathers, not good at all.

6 2,006
 06-20-2013, 04:29 PM
User Info
(06-20-2013, 01:56 PM)Mouser Wrote: Two things in wet shaving I just don't get, Feathers and Simpsons. Good, but not that good. and in the case of Feathers, not good at all.

I couldn't get into Feathers either. But I have to admit liking them now that I can get a weeks shaves from them. Always had good luck the first two shaves anyway but I'm too Scotch to go two and outBiggrin

I don't own a Simpsons brush but just from reading reviews by some folks here on the Nook who's reviews I trust, I have no doubts whatsoever that they are a quality product. I also admit to really adoring the Simpson "Milk Churn" brush, and may someday try to acquire one.

That's the great thing about this endeavor. So many choices available to us through some great online vendors. Biggrin

6 1,224
 06-20-2013, 10:41 PM
User Info
There is nothing better than a Feather, you just need to stick with it and eliminate trying different blades. I think that's because the feathers are the most unique double edge blade and present the biggest difference when comparing one to the next.

They are the sharpest and I have a hunch the leading edge is a bit thinner than the rest. I would imagine that has something to do with getting them so sharp, and something to do with the feathers not lasting as long as some of the others.

Remember what they say,,... "No pressure, just use the weight of the razor". Best way to achieve that is the sharpest blade.

1 622