05-25-2013, 09:06 AM
User Info
Hi lads,Geordie Sam here,
38 years ago today ,as a 15 year old,me and a mate went by train from Newcastle to London a distance of about 250 miles,which to Americans is not very far, but to us Brits is like the other side of the World.
The reason for this adventure was to see Led Zeppelin,I was never the biggest fan of Zeppelin (The Who's my band) but it was just to say I had seen them.
Here is a review of the gig,Zep fans look away now.
It started off badly,faded a bit in the middle,and the least said about the end the better.As I said I was never their biggest fan,but this is an honest memory of that gig.A 20 minute organ solo,followed by a 20 minute drum solo followed by a 20 minute guitar solo,tedium isn't the word.I wish I hadn't bothered.
Geordie Sam.

0 79
 05-25-2013, 09:11 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Ah, but the girls looked good.Smile

The best musical experience of my lifetime was Woodstock in 1969. I can still vividly see it, hear it, and smell it.

173 23,493
 05-25-2013, 09:34 AM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
I have not seen Zep live, but have seen Robert Plant....and found the show a bit tedious...To their credit, Zep didn't exactly invent the overdone-solo thing, though they may have mastered it ! Biggrin
some of my friends have commented to me that Zep was not known for being in top form when they did live performances....and felt a bit let down when the tunes didn't sound like the studio stuff they were expecting. Sad
38 years ago...jeez, I am SOOOO OOOOOLLLDD Tongue!!

0 1,291
 05-25-2013, 02:16 PM
User Info
(05-25-2013, 09:11 AM)Johnny Wrote: Ah, but the girls looked good.Smile

The best musical experience of my lifetime was Woodstock in 1969. I can still vividly see it, hear it, and smell it.

Johnny,when I posted about "my Kennedy" moment you were there,now you mention you were at Woodstock,you have been to some seminal events in history,my hat is well and truly doffed my friend.
From a crazy Brit.
ps. can you remember The Who being on,it was about 3 in the morning when they got on stage,also Townshend hit Abbie Hoffman over the head with his SG,and sent him flying into the press pit below the front of the stage.Hoffman was in hospital for a good few days.

0 79
 05-25-2013, 02:17 PM
User Info
How is a solo like a sneeze?... You can tell it's coming but can't to anything about it.

3 285
 05-25-2013, 02:21 PM
User Info
(05-25-2013, 09:34 AM)OldDog23 Wrote: I have not seen Zep live, but have seen Robert Plant....and found the show a bit tedious...To their credit, Zep didn't exactly invent the overdone-solo thing, though they may have mastered it ! Biggrin
some of my friends have commented to me that Zep was not known for being in top form when they did live performances....and felt a bit let down when the tunes didn't sound like the studio stuff they were expecting. Sad
38 years ago...jeez, I am SOOOO OOOOOLLLDD Tongue!!
Steven,everything you have said is fact,Zeppelin were very sloppy live,I have heard countless bootlegs as well as seeing them.I like Robert Plant though,as a person he's a good lad.
Sam.

0 79
 05-25-2013, 04:59 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Sam, I heard them playing but was not watching at that time. I was busy doing "other" things.Biggrin

173 23,493
 05-26-2013, 02:33 AM
User Info
(05-25-2013, 04:59 PM)Johnny Wrote: Sam, I heard them playing but was not watching at that time. I was busy doing "other" things.Biggrin

You mean you prefered to be doing "other things" to watching the GREATEST band that ever walked this Earth,what could you POSSIBLY have been doing? the mind boggles.
A crazy Brit.

0 79