05-25-2013, 01:42 PM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
I read somewhere on there that face lathering with a boar brush wasn't the easiest thing because you might not get more than 2 passes out of it. I have been noticing this lately lathering Mikes with my Semogue 830. I can get one great lather and the 2nd pass lather is ok, and if I try and make a 3rd pass lather there is basically nothing. So I reload and start over and finish. Might I be doing something wrong or is this just usually how it is?

15 970
 05-25-2013, 01:49 PM
User Info
Semogue 830 is a dense brush, so it may consume a bit of lather, not making as much as other less dense brushes from the same amount of product.

I have had the same problem and in my case I solved it taking a bit more time charging the brush with product.

Also, I find useful to add some water between passes. Perhaps this is more useful with boar brushes, as boar does not have the same capability of retaining water that badger has. Other than that, I find my best boar brushes at least as good as my best badger brushes to face lather.

Hope that helps.

0 124
 05-25-2013, 01:51 PM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
I have the same issue it seems with the Semogue Owners Club brush. I mainly have used those two and a mighty midget before. I usually only use the mighty midget for face lathering cella or arko. I might try loading more product, although it seems I'm loading a lot already.

15 970
 05-25-2013, 02:07 PM
User Info
I find that to be true with new brushes. Boars that are broken in give me plenty of lather.

Boars are my favorite for face lathering.

Perhaps load more soap? And don't sweat going to the soap a second time while the boar is breaking in.

Do not give up experimenting until you lock in what works for you. You will be richly rewarded as boars are great for face lathering.

3 285
 05-25-2013, 02:19 PM
User Info
Make sure that you provide a good soaking before you start. That way the hairs have absorbed more water that will help reduce the lather you generate from being absorbed into the hairs.

1 2,827
 05-25-2013, 02:20 PM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
I always allow the brushes to soak while I am in the shower which is around 10 minutes

15 970
 05-25-2013, 02:44 PM
User Info
Tony, there was thread some time ago where it was discussed that a too long soak will actually destroy the lather as it sits for subsequent passes. A minute is more than enough.

I wet my boar and upend it for the bristles to "soak" the water they hold while I run water and get my other gear together. My brush "soaks" at most a minute. I use tiny boars and I have no problem with my standard 2 1/3 pass shave and most times I could easily get another full pass at least from my lather.

Another thing to check... are you loading long enough? Few lather problems aren't fixed by the use of more product.

Please let us know if any of our suggestions helped.

32 6,311
 05-25-2013, 02:45 PM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
Tonight I will post a video of my face lathering technique for critique.

15 970
 05-25-2013, 04:15 PM
User Info
During the break in period of my boar brushes I was a little dissapointed with the low volume of usable lather they would provide. It would usually allow two full passes, but leave a thin "lather" if i wanted to attempt to shave more. However, Once the brushes fully broke in, it was as if it was imbued with magic, holding epic amounts of lather.

Once fully broken in it is easy to attain 3 full passes, and at times i could even get 5 if i needed (but really, who needs five passes? oye, DO people ever need 5 passes? I just know because of curiousity). My SOC was the only brush i used for a very long time, and has only been beat out by my rover i picked up a few months ago. Now that i know better how the rover performs, you may have convinced me to try my SOC for a while again.

9 149
 05-25-2013, 04:26 PM
User Info
I have a SOC too and it is a superb brush!

0 179
 05-25-2013, 04:36 PM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
Oh it is a superb brush, it whips up some great lather in a bowl, but I just don't think it's made for face lathering.

15 970
 05-25-2013, 05:23 PM
User Info
(05-25-2013, 04:36 PM)tsimmns Wrote: Oh it is a superb brush, it whips up some great lather in a bowl, but I just don't think it's made for face lathering.

It lathers my whole face in very short order. But it took a good long while to break in enough to do that. Then one day it smacked me up side the head with more lather than I knew what to do with. The little 620 on the other hand worked right out of the box. I was beginning to have doubts about the SOC but it was worth the wait.

6 1,224
 05-25-2013, 05:28 PM
User Info
(05-25-2013, 04:36 PM)tsimmns Wrote: Oh it is a superb brush, it whips up some great lather in a bowl, but I just don't think it's made for face lathering.

It's fantastic for face lathering. It is just really dense and requires more product and water than many other brushes.

18 569
 05-25-2013, 05:52 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
All of my pigs are great face lathering brushes. And all hold enough lather to do three passed if I need to, but I never do.

Now unlike some, I am a soaker. Once got busy doing something for the wife and let a brush soak for over an hour and it worked great.

Now, I do not recommend an hour soak. I soak mine normally between 15-20 minutes.

173 23,555
 05-25-2013, 06:36 PM
User Info
(05-25-2013, 05:52 PM)Johnny Wrote: All of my pigs are great face lathering brushes. And all hold enough lather to do three passed if I need to, but I never do.

Now unlike some, I am a soaker. Once got busy doing something for the wife and let a brush soak for over an hour and it worked great.

Now, I do not recommend an hour soak. I soak mine normally between 15-20 minutes.

I don't soak. I run it under the tap while the basin is filling and dip the tips when I need to add some water. I really don't think it matters much either way as long as you are consistently building good lather that suits you and your shave. There are many paths that lead to the same destination. Take the one that makes you happy.

18 569
 05-25-2013, 06:44 PM
User Info
Several factors to consider: hardness of your water, how broken in your brush is and loading time. I almost always add a couple drops of water once or twice while loading and that helps my overall volume and slickness of lather for as many passes as I would like.

47 1,270
 05-26-2013, 05:32 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
What's wrong with just giving the brush an extra swirl in the soap? Nothing. There are no rules about these things. You want more lather? Make some more. Simple.

0 1,625
 05-27-2013, 01:00 PM
User Info
Smaller brushes hold less lather, but other than that, I haven't noticed OP's concern.

Nothing wrong with doing a swirl on the puck. It's probably what people did back in the day.

9 2,988
 05-27-2013, 01:27 PM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
Didn't get the video up and didn't shave this morning so hopefully will get it up soon. Would a Semogue 830 be noted as being a smaller brush and holding less lather? I used Cella yesterday morning and did the Marco method using a dripping wet brush to load and then moved to my face. I had enough for two good passes and the third pass lather was eh, not so great. I will keep trying to get this whole lathering thing down. Thanks to all for the suggestions and advice so far.

15 970
 05-28-2013, 02:15 AM
  • marcel
  • The Netherlands
User Info
(05-27-2013, 01:27 PM)tsimmns Wrote: Didn't get the video up and didn't shave this morning so hopefully will get it up soon. Would a Semogue 830 be noted as being a smaller brush and holding less lather? I used Cella yesterday morning and did the Marco method using a dripping wet brush to load and then moved to my face. I had enough for two good passes and the third pass lather was eh, not so great. I will keep trying to get this whole lathering thing down. Thanks to all for the suggestions and advice so far.

A Semogue 830 certainly isn't a small brush, I consider it a medium sized boar brush.

0 117