05-25-2013, 05:08 PM
User Info
On Memorial Day I will be getting together with my brother-in-law (BIL) for the first time in awhile. He's my wife's younger brother & he's a classical musician (double bass). His birthday was earlier this month & he expressed an interest in how I shave to my wife when she was probing him for ideas for b'day presents.

What you see below is what I'll be taking to him. I'm not sure if he'll take the whole lot as I understand it can be a bit overwhelming. I definitely have some razors & brushes for him along with quite a variety of soaps & creams. I figure he can sniff them all and I'll just take back any that he doesn't care for. I'm looking forward to showing him how to go about a proper traditional shave & I hope he takes to it.

[Image: gC5MOgF.jpg]

So if you were completely new would you find this to be too much or would you be really excited to try it all out?

31 7,912
 05-25-2013, 05:21 PM
User Info
A great gift, Brian. Knowing what I know now, I would be excited to experience variety, but as a novice, I would probably prefer a few choices. For instance, I might give him the Muhle, the two-band brush, Gillette, 1912, an Italian soft soap, Vergulde soap and the Godrej cream. Of course, the blade sampler and Krampert's have to be included.

Also depends on his personality; maybe he is adventuresome and likes to jump into new things. Maybe your wife knows of scents he particularly likes or dislikes...

Maybe he would like the whole kit and caboodle. A great gift, no matter how you slice it. Keep us posted what you end up doing and how he takes to traditional wetshaving.

47 1,270
 05-25-2013, 05:28 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
The only thing I would hold up on at this time is the wooden handled brush and the SE razor. Everything else would make a good way to get started.

I see a few things there that I don't use or like but I did not know that before I tried them.

Why didn't you include a jar of MdC? BiggrinBiggrin

173 23,488
 05-25-2013, 05:40 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I would be excited about it if it were me. However, I would make sure you stress to use the noob friendliest products first. I would suggest the DE with an Astra, the RazoRock Fresco, and the Krampert's.

45 3,955
 05-25-2013, 05:42 PM
User Info
That does seem like a lot to take in all at once. It may be easier if he were to receive just a couple of options of each (two brushes, two creams, two soaps and the soap stick, etc.). You know him, we don't. You may have just the right amount of gear for him, but I would assume that proceeding a bit slower is the best way to keep him interested.

Sent from my Transformer using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

6 327
 05-25-2013, 05:47 PM
User Info
Thanks for the tips guys. If he was coming to my place, then I'd be better able to determine what he'd like. Unfortunately, I'll be driving an hour to visit with him so I figured I should take more as I can then whittle it down with him while introducing the basics.

Johnny, you know I have to give him a SE to try. Winky

My simple setup for him would be the Muhle Black Fibre, Knack w/ assorted blades, 1912 w/ blades, Cella, RR Fresco, & KFBR. He does travel a lot as he's in 3 symphonies in multiple states so the DVH stick may also be quite handy.

31 7,912
 05-25-2013, 06:00 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I would also suggest the Leisure Guy Gourmet Shaving Book. I think all newbies could benefit from reading that book.

45 3,955
 05-25-2013, 06:13 PM
User Info
IMO, It looks great, but I would just give him one DE razor right now. You can always send him more or drop another off at a later date. I think more than one razor would confuse things and being more flexible, the DE blade is more forgiving. It also gets him to get his technique down.

You might want to point him towards Mantics channel on the Youtube. The videos seemed to help me starting out.

18 567
 05-25-2013, 06:47 PM
User Info
The personal lesson will go a long way, and I see why bringing the supplies with you on the trip makes sense. Best wishes!

47 1,270
 05-25-2013, 08:36 PM
User Info
I agree with what's been written. With your guidance and explanations he should be able to choose wisely what to start with. Too many choices will only lead to chaos at the beginning. Later you can load him up.

You might be able to give him the HFT with the caveat to wait a month or so before trying it. He has the internet, yes? So he can join in here and contact you at both of your leisure for guidance as he progresses.

32 6,308
 05-26-2013, 08:24 AM
User Info
I would give him the badger brush with the black handle, one shave soap, Cella, one shave cream, Godrej, the DE razor, the bag of blades. If he truly gets interested in wet shaving, he can get more stuff from you.

I gave a niece's husband a DE and soap and brush and bowl for Christmas. Still untouched. I gave my neighbor a DE and blades. He used it once. I'm glad I didn't give them the whole enchilada.

21 1,472
 05-26-2013, 09:19 AM
User Info
(05-26-2013, 08:24 AM)lindyhop66 Wrote: I would give him the badger brush with the black handle, one shave soap, Cella, one shave cream, Godrej, the DE razor, the bag of blades. If he truly gets interested in wet shaving, he can get more stuff from you.

I gave a niece's husband a DE and soap and brush and bowl for Christmas. Still untouched. I gave my neighbor a DE and blades. He used it once. I'm glad I didn't give them the whole enchilada.

I understand your hesitation, but the bonus here is that he expressed interest to us without my suggestion. He's only seen my Facebook shaving posts. So he's already taken the initial step. I just get to help him acquire the tools necessary. Biggrin

31 7,912
 05-26-2013, 09:40 AM
User Info
Well, that's a different matter then. What a magnanimous gifting! He will not have to experience an Acquistion Disorder for a while.

21 1,472
 05-26-2013, 11:31 AM
User Info
Good luck on the conversion, Brian!Biggrin

75 20,883
 05-26-2013, 05:28 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Very nice Brian. I know you will keep him grounded. Can't wait to meet him on here... Tell him I said HAPPY SHAVES !!! from a Rock & Roll bass guitar player to a Classical Bassist. We hold down the bottom. Without us the rest would sound like Jibba Jabba....lol

5 1,151
 05-26-2013, 08:15 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Wow, Brian ... that's one lucky BIL!

102 17,662
 05-26-2013, 09:23 PM
User Info
That is very generous of you Brian, I am sure he will be very excited to see that package!

63 2,128
 05-27-2013, 09:16 AM
User Info
Wow!!!

Let us know your BILs reaction.

0 64
 05-27-2013, 12:56 PM
User Info
How did it go?

For future reference, I think it would depend on how excited the person is. It could be like an awesome Christmas or a little confusing.

9 2,988
 05-27-2013, 08:09 PM
User Info
Well, I didn't come home with any of it. He didn't seem overwhelmed at all. He is quite cerebral and no matter how much I go on about something he's still going to develop his own way.

He's been using a Dollar Shave Club 2-bladed cartridge so at least he isn't coming from a 3+ blade thingy. Also, he already uses Kiss My Face shave cream. I showed him how to lather it with a brush and he was floored with how much lather can be created.

I hope that he will stop by here and share how things are coming along. If not, then I'll be sure to update everyone.

Thanks for all your comments and support.

31 7,912