05-26-2013, 02:20 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
There has been great deal of discussion about synthetic brushes lately. Gary, has posted great reviews about the brushes. The better brushes price wise approach the cost a decent badger. Are they really worth the money? Secondly at the price point of a badger are they equal or better?

1 3,507
 05-26-2013, 04:56 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
That's a good question Howler. One I'd be interested in hearing answers from some of our members like Tieste who have vast experience in both. It is hard to imagine one of the new synthetics being on par, or better, than a Simpsons Commodore X2 for example and they are in the same ball park on price.

45 3,955
 05-26-2013, 08:53 PM
User Info
Brad, i have quite a few of the Frank Shaving synthetics and they were very inexpensive. i really like them for what they can do and how inexpensive they are! i could easily use mine as the only brushes, if i had to, but good thing i don't have to!Biggrin
You should be able to buy a synthetic for under $20. Most of mine were around there. Very soft bristles and make tons of lather!
i wouldn't say they were as nice a good badger brush, but for their price and their ability to do what a brush should do, they are hard to beat.
Good luck.

75 20,883
 05-26-2013, 11:38 PM
  • Elbe
  • Wolfsburg, Germany
User Info
(05-26-2013, 02:20 PM)Howler Wrote: The better brushes price wise approach the cost a decent badger. Are they really worth the money? Secondly at the price point of a badger are they equal or better?

In my opinion the cheaper synthetics can't compete with a decent badger brush. The new Kent may be a good brush for travelling, but I wouldn't use it on a regular basis. It's cheap, yes, but that's all.

The new Mühle Silvertip fibres however are a class of their own. I have them in 21, 23 and 25mm and the big one is the best brush I have. If I could use one brush only it would be the 25mm Mühle STF, no doubt at all.

While I like smaller badger brushes in the size 20-22 mm I find this size too small with synthetics. OK for a travelling brush, but not for a regular usage. So the 21mm Mühle will have to go.

The 23mm is the sweet spot for a price conscious customer. But prices aren't that high that that is an object, so I think, the 25mm is the one to chose.

Is it as good as a decent badger brush? No, it blows the badger out of the water! It's better! Extremely soft tips, nice backbone, very nice face feel, lathers extremely good. Dries much faster than a badger, so you can use a huge synthie for travelling, too. The only thing where a badger is still superior is heat retention. But not a big difference. And the whole brush is of high quality.

You have to dig *very* deep in your pockets to pay for a badger brush capable to compete with a 25mm Mühle STF V2. IMHO the usual suspects Colonel, Duke 2, Chubby 1 and so will come out of this competition as second winners only.

Bagders in China (even in Manchuria) are optimistic, that the pressure on their population will go down considerably in the future.

0 229
 05-27-2013, 03:24 AM
User Info
I really disliked the face feel of the V1 Mühle silvertip fibre... There was a springiness to it that made it uncomfortable to face lather with in circular motions...
Unless that has changed with V2 or will change in the future those brushes are not for me... No matter how great they do in terms of lather creation etc...
YMMV

31 1,554
 05-27-2013, 03:31 AM
  • Elbe
  • Wolfsburg, Germany
User Info
I had the V1 Mühle in 23mm and sold it rather quickly again. Exactly due to the characteristic you describe. So, I was reluctant to buy the V2. This characteristic is gone now.

0 229
 05-27-2013, 04:35 AM
User Info
Which synthetics models are better for face lathering?

3 285
 05-27-2013, 07:04 AM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
I have a V2 Mühle 21mm and it is a very good performer. I think the 23mm would be the sweet spot for me, so I may sell the 21 and get a 23 at some point, but it is a nice addition to my collection. Very soft, and it does whip up nice lather.

Advantages: doesn't need to be soaked and dries quickly.
Disadvantages: requires different technique since the bristles don't hold water. Unless/until you get the technique dialed in, you won't get optimal results.

Great travel brush.

52 785
 05-27-2013, 05:36 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
To recommend a synthetic brush, I would need to know what characteristics you are looking for. I don't think you can buy a synthetic that is a stiff as a boar brush. If you want some scratch when you face lather, Muhle v-1 or a TGN knot, maybe. I have a 22mm TGN just like the v-1. My latest TGN knot is in between the Muhle v-1 and v-2, not quite as soft as a v-2, but a great all around knot. This TGN knot is a great value. If you want a very soft brush with good backbone and every other important brush characteristic, Muhle v-2 in 23mm or 25mm. Hands down a brush to compete with the best out there. I have not tried the Kent or new Omega synthetics, but they may suit your needs depending on what you are looking for.

16 542
 05-27-2013, 05:38 PM
  • Codfish
  • Product Tester
  • Connecticut Shoreline
User Info
(05-27-2013, 07:04 AM)greyhawk Wrote: I have a V2 Mühle 21mm and it is a very good performer...Disadvantages: requires different technique.... Unless/until you get the technique dialed in, you won't get optimal results...

Are you maybe overstating this? A good squeeze after wetting, and starting lathering less aggressively are all that are needed, IMO. No magic necessary.

0 254
 05-27-2013, 06:55 PM
User Info
Latherability with minimal product and fast dry time have been tops with the synthetics of recent memory. While the HIS synthetic hair is (I believe) the same as Muhle v2, something about the density, loft and knot construction give a better experience with the latter. Performance-wise, I think the v2 Muhle is up there with the top badgers in terms of face feel and bests them with ease of lathering.

German, I think the springiness of v1 is gone.

The TGN/VB/FS have more scrub to them and are also enjoyable in their own way.

To the OP, I think they are worthwhile if you are looking in that $50-100 range. I would recommend the v2 Muhle: at least 23mm, ideally 25mm. I highly doubt you will be disappointed.

47 1,270
 05-28-2013, 01:50 AM
User Info
All right... I will give it another try... A 23mm V-2 in faux horn is on its way...

31 1,554
 05-28-2013, 02:12 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
I've used the HIS, the Kent and the TGN synths... Only the TGN survived. I find it to be an awesome brush and could use it exclusively if need be.

Great for both bowl or face lathering. Soft tips, without the flop of the HIS. Firm fiber shafts without being springy and paint-brush like, as with the Kent.

I find no fault in the TGN knot.. none at all.

33 914
 05-28-2013, 04:50 AM
User Info
My experience with synthetic brushes is with the HIS, hjm black fibre and Frank Shaving brushes.

The HIS has interesting bristles but the implementation is poor: too dense, too high loft , too springy and way overpriced, IMO. I sold if after little use.

The hjm bristles are very good, soft and lathers very well but it was not dense enough to give enough backbone for facelathering, at least for me.

The Frank Shaving is actually very nice. Good backbone, very soft tips and it lathers a very well soaps and creams. I don't use it often as I enjoy the slight scrub I get from my badger brushes.

(05-28-2013, 02:12 AM)MikekiM Wrote: I've used the HIS, the Kent and the TGN synths... Only the TGN survived. I find it to be an awesome brush and could use it exclusively if need be.

Great for both bowl or face lathering. Soft tips, without the flop of the HIS. Firm fiber shafts without being springy and paint-brush like, as with the Kent.

I was wondering if the TGN knot is same as FS. I emailed TGN last year about this and they said "yes, very similar". The for a brush or a knot is the same, but with the knot option, you can set it at a loft to your liking and a nice handle.

6 808
 05-28-2013, 01:37 PM
User Info
(05-28-2013, 02:12 AM)MikekiM Wrote: I've used the HIS, the Kent and the TGN synths... Only the TGN survived. I find it to be an awesome brush and could use it exclusively if need be.

Me too Mike. Though I haven't tried the other brushes you mention. I do like the Muhle V2 synthetic also and after selling one whose handle simply wasn't working for me, I have one with a "normal" handle on it's way.

32 6,308
 05-29-2013, 05:59 PM
User Info
(05-28-2013, 01:50 AM)German Wrote: All right... I will give it another try... A 23mm V-2 in faux horn is on its way...

I look forward to your observations on the STF V-2.

BTW: I have a STF V-1 25 mm in faux horn and it looks really nice.

1 2,827
 05-29-2013, 06:03 PM
User Info
Thanks... I will report back once she made it across the pond...
(05-29-2013, 05:59 PM)GDCarrington Wrote:
(05-28-2013, 01:50 AM)German Wrote: All right... I will give it another try... A 23mm V-2 in faux horn is on its way...

I look forward to your observations on the STF V-2.

BTW: I have a STF V-1 25 mm in faux horn and it looks really nice.

31 1,554
 05-30-2013, 08:26 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Great information and discussion.

1 3,507