05-26-2013, 02:40 PM
User Info
Hi lads,Geordie Sam here,It's beef Vindaloo for me tonight (monday)
a bit of diced stewing steak,sealed in a hot pan with a little oil,
a couple of chopped onions,a bit of garlic,a tin of chopped tomatoes,some Vindaloo paste (from a jar,I don't know how to make my own)shove it in a casserole dish for about 90 minutes gas mark 4,and Bob's your uncle,hopefully a very "spicey hot" Indian curry,served with a plate of brown Basmati rice, and maybe a couple of "cold one's" to wash it down,thank God for the British Empire.
Geordie Sam.
ps.you Americans should eat more curry,It's BLOODY lovely.

0 79
 05-26-2013, 02:48 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I do eat curry and quite like it. In fact, when I'm in Scotland, I probably eat Indian food more than any other. While I'll probably get the terms wrong, I'm particularly fond of lamb saag over pilau rice and also enjoy dipping some nan in the saag, as well. Yum. Smile

2 11,211
 05-26-2013, 03:16 PM
User Info
(05-26-2013, 02:48 PM)freddy Wrote: I do eat curry and quite like it. In fact, when I'm in Scotland, I probably eat Indian food more than any other. While I'll probably get the terms wrong, I'm particularly fond of lamb saag over pilau rice and also enjoy dipping some nan in the saag, as well. Yum. Smile
Freddy,surely you've tried the famous Haggis and chips,with a FRIED Mars bar in batter for a pudding,that's what "that lot" live on.Winky
Sam.

0 79
 05-26-2013, 04:48 PM
  • freddy
User Info
First of all, no, the Scots do not live on it. (I love my sweets but the thought of a fried Mars bar is enough to put me over the top. [Image: sick.gif] )

Now Haggis neeps and tatties is a very different story. I LOVE 'em and my friend has to make that meal for me at least once or twice while I visit. Of course, it definitely has to be washed down with a wee dram or, my preference, an Irn-Bru! Aaaaa

(And, Sam, you would not believe the teasing I take from the other administrators and moderators because I do love Haggis. Rolleyes )

2 11,211
 05-26-2013, 06:17 PM
User Info
Love the curry here in Houston. Sounds tasty, Sam.

47 1,270
 05-26-2013, 07:04 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Well call me crazy but how would someone want to eat Haggis when you have Jambalaya, Crawfish Pie, and File' Gumbo.... C'MON MAN!!! Don't get me wrong. I would love to visit Scotland with the fine castles, lassies, and Nessie of course, but I never heard of anyone going to Scotland for the food...

5 1,151
 05-26-2013, 09:59 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Faheem's not far from where I live; taxi drivers go there late at night. Best curry I have ever had, especially the tandoori. Cheap too. Better than balti from Brick Lane in the East End (London)

0 1,620
 05-26-2013, 11:04 PM
User Info
It's been many years since I've had curry. What's the attraction?

I cook with spices, just not curry which IMO is someone elses idea of what spices I should use. What am I missing?

32 6,308
 05-26-2013, 11:15 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
(05-26-2013, 11:04 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: It's been many years since I've had curry. What's the attraction?

I cook with spices, just not curry which IMO is someone elses idea of what spices I should use. What am I missing?

Not a curry guy either... Tastes like the sweepings off the stable floor mixed with red pepper if you ask me and I'm pretty open minded...lol

5 1,151
 05-26-2013, 11:57 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(05-26-2013, 07:04 PM)savagejoerude Wrote: Well call me crazy but how would someone want to eat Haggis when you have Jambalaya, Crawfish Pie, and File' Gumbo.... C'MON MAN!!! Don't get me wrong. I would love to visit Scotland with the fine castles, lassies, and Nessie of course, but I never heard of anyone going to Scotland for the food...

Emmmmmmmmmm Good.

173 23,486
 05-27-2013, 12:54 AM
User Info
I'm with Freddy on this,a good Haggis is very tasty indeed,(just DON'T look at the ingredients)but I like it sliced and crisply fried in a touch of oil with a couple of fried eggs. Irn-bru (to those who don't know,pronounced iron brew) is a fruit flavoured fizzy soft drink,which I bet hardly anyone outside of the UK has had,but I love it also.
Sam.

0 79
 05-27-2013, 08:00 AM
  • freddy
User Info
(05-26-2013, 07:04 PM)savagejoerude Wrote: Well call me crazy but how would someone want to eat Haggis when you have Jambalaya, Crawfish Pie, and File' Gumbo.... C'MON MAN!!! Don't get me wrong. I would love to visit Scotland with the fine castles, lassies, and Nessie of course, but I never heard of anyone going to Scotland for the food...

Now you have. Wink

2 11,211