05-26-2013, 06:53 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Howdy Fellas, Sav here with some interesting conclusions to my affection with Single Edge razors. For the last several months with a good bit of help from The 2 Brians and a few other fellas who have given me inspiration I must profess my great affection for razors Single Edge. There are lost of things going for a Single Edge. Here are a few that are on my mind at the moment:

Having once been a 36 hour shaver, with SE's I can safely shave every day now without irritation.
I have also become proficient in the use of the vaunted OCMM and it now sits squarely in my razor rotation.
I've found I like SS blades best.
I've decided that my ALL TIME favorite razor EVER is the Gem J-Bar lather catcher that was given to me by Brian Krampert. By far the oldest razor in my collection.
No question that the SE razor provides a much smoother shave than DE. As Brian Sharp notes the blade is stiffer than a DE blade and less prone to oscillation hence less wobble = less irritation. Sounds pretty scientific if you ask me. But I agree with his hypothesis.

Shaving with SE's has taken care of most of the problems I had with classic wet shaving. For me SE razors are the "Cat's Meow"... What began as sort of an experiment has become THE backbone of my shaving ritual.
At one point I had 14 DE's. I'm down to 4. I kept 3 for sentimental reasons and only 1 gets to see any real action. I have made up for the loss with 10 SE's added to my collection. There has only been one SE that just didn't work for me. No worries, there are plenty that do fit the bill. I do have a few more that I'm sure will make it into my nook.

I guess the main reason for this post is to let newbies know that there is a whole world beyond DE razors. If you are having troubles with irritation then perhaps SE's are for you. You can get a great starter SE for $15 or so. I recommend a GEM Featherweight. A mild razor that is easy to find and shaves great. If you feel so inclined don't hesitate to PM me or ask your questions here. Us LOSERS are a close bunch. Always there to lend a hand. I'm betting you would very likely get a reply from Mr. Krampert himself who is always ready to help a noob along. As my avatar caption reads, "If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!" HAPPY SHAVES !!!

5 1,151
 05-26-2013, 07:35 PM
User Info
Sav, this post makes me smile big. Biggrin Everything you say about not getting the shaves you thought you would from DEs & how SEs allowed you the irritation free daily shaves is the same situation I came from & why I don't have a single DE left that sees any use. Like you I have a couple that ill always keep as they belonged to family members since passed.

My big smile is just the result of how happy I am that someone else has benefited from SEs like I did. I just hope that your discovery period was shorter than mine (I think it was!).

Besides, if nothing else I have to enjoy a post that mentions backbone! Laughing1

31 7,912
 05-26-2013, 07:53 PM
User Info
Sav, great post and glad you took the time to post of your success for others to follow. I think a SE razor is a great way for any person to experience traditional wetshaving and really do think everyone should at least give them a try.

I might throw my hat in for a GEM 1912, Junior or Clog Pruf to be the first to try. My favorites are those three as well as the OCMM, Flying Wing and 1924.

Now you should give injectors a spin if you haven't already. Start with an Schick E type.

An interesting trend we see with many who try SE razors: the DE razors start disappearing. I just have a few including a 2011 R41, Old Type, Single Ring, Olaf, vintage Coles slant, Krona and Fatboy remaining.

I also owe thanks to the B(rian) Team for helping me get started on SE razors and for much else in the world of traditional wetshaving.

47 1,270
 05-26-2013, 08:21 PM
User Info
10 SE razors now... you HAVE been busy! Nice read.

One question though, which razor didn't make it for you? I'm just curious. We're all adults here and we all know about YMMV. Interestingly enough SJRs favorite razor was my bane, that's why he received it. I wanted to love it, but it wasn't possible.

Yup, I'll always find time to help folks if I can. I prefer to do it on these pages so that others merely reading and not participating in the thread can also benefit. I'm not averse to a PM though.

FWIW, most of my DE razors have been mothballed and some more should be. I keep out 2 pre-'21 Gillettes, a Muhle '11 R41, a Slim that doesn't see much use anymore, and 2 other vintage '21+ Gillettes that likewise don't see much use. I probably ought to start to sell some off.

32 6,308
 05-26-2013, 10:44 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
@ Sharp Spine. After I read your post about backbone it really made sense to me. Just the feel of that thicker blade moving across your skin is different. I found I could handle daily shaves out of having to shave 4 days in a row. With a DE I would look like I came from the zombie apocalypse. Not so. My face was as smooth on day 4 as it was on day 1. I was sure I was getting better shaves but that's what really sold me for life on SE's...

@ Kent Clark I too have a Krona and Fat Boy as well as a Star DE put back. The only DE I still use is a NDC Tech head on my UFO Goliath handle. It's the only DE that can get me as close as the SE's.

@ Shadows Dad the only SE that didn't work for me is the G-Bar. I really wanted to love it because it looks so cool. Just couldn't make it happen. Even though the Featherweight has the same head and I get great shaves with it. Go figure..lol No worries though Sensi, I PIF'ed it to a fellow at work. He likes it... My daughter and her husband are coming to town from Tennessee next week and I'll have an entire week to covert my Son in law to wet shaving. If he likes it, I'll be on the bay looking for another Featherweight. My daughter said she wants to try too. I may be out of 2 razors by the time they leave... (I keep a stock of VdH and Burma Shave brushes for anyone I set on the path. I'm running low on give away razors. I have to stock up again..lol).
ALSO still waiting for the FROSTBITE to become available. Looking forward to that FREEZE down here in NOLA that's just what I need.. I hope I didn't miss a post about it's release here. I've been pretty busy lately...

5 1,151
 05-26-2013, 10:59 PM
User Info
SJR, I can make the G-Bar work, but I prefer the FW also. The G-Bar just seems to always be slipping because of it's roundish knurling.

The new Frostbite will be available on June 1. At this time I don't know how many retailers will sign on. There is one however with it already in stock and chomping at the bit to release it.

32 6,308
 05-27-2013, 04:50 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I too would like to thank ShadowsDad and SharpSpine. I mentioned in a post that I was using a Cobra and it was suggested I try other SEs. I also find them to give a superior shave. I have three now and a couple more on the way. There is a downside to this as now I have another RAD (already coping with DEs, straights and shavettes). SadTongue

16 542
 05-28-2013, 12:54 PM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
(05-26-2013, 10:44 PM)savagejoerude Wrote: @ Shadows Dad the only SE that didn't work for me is the G-Bar. I really wanted to love it because it looks so cool. Just couldn't make it happen. Even though the Featherweight has the same head and I get great shaves with it. Go figure..lol No worries though Sensi, I PIF'ed it to a fellow at work. He likes it... My daughter and her husband are coming to town from Tennessee next week and I'll have an entire week to covert my Son in law to wet shaving. If he likes it, I'll be on the bay looking for another Featherweight. My daughter said she wants to try too. I may be out of 2 razors by the time they leave... (I keep a stock of VdH and Burma Shave brushes for anyone I set on the path. I'm running low on give away razors. I have to stock up again..lol).
Exactly my experience as well! I REALLY wanted to love the G-bar too because it looks so nice, but the FW works so much better for me that I never use my G-bar. It's one of just a few razors
that I keep that I don't actually use.

0 911
 05-28-2013, 01:40 PM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
FW works somehow better then G-bar for me also. Both still good

11 861