05-26-2013, 08:11 PM
User Info
Ok does pre shave even help ever time ive tried
it doesnt seem to add any benefit

4 101
 05-26-2013, 08:34 PM
User Info
I personally don't use pre-shave anything besides tap water after trying a few oils. When I started out a few years ago, I thought the preshave oil would provide a helpful buffering layer to help prevent post shave irritation. I know several do enjoy a preshave product and hope they post here for you.

FWIW, my post-shave routine of Thayer's and/or Krampert's plus unrefined shea butter keeps my skin quite happy.

47 1,270
 05-26-2013, 09:01 PM
User Info
It depends on the oil. Some oils are extremely slick and allow for a much smoother shave, some do little at all. The shaving cream/soap that you use is also a factor. A good oil can make an average lather ultra slick, but won't add much to a lather that is already quite slick. Think of preshave oil as a booster product, something to use as needed, but not necessarily with every shave.

Sent from my Transformer using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

6 327
 05-26-2013, 10:51 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
I tried several but landed on Shave Secret available at Wal Mart for under $5. It is a part of my daily routine. I only use a few drops (4) and massage it well into my beard. I haven't shaved without it in a long time. I find it helps to soften my beard and also helps with glide. The Shave Secret doesn't gum up my razor or leave a ring in the sink like other oils do. I highly recommend this product. Just remember less is more... Happy Shaves !!!

5 1,151
 05-27-2013, 06:52 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
For me pre-shave oil (I make my own 2/3 Olive oil 1/3 Castor oil and some Menthol crystals) rubbed in my beard before I use a hot towel really seems to make a difference. However, on the shaves when I skip the hot towel I also skip the oil. Sometimes for a quick touch-up eg. A spot I missed. I will use a little oil on the spot before using a razor.

57 917
 05-27-2013, 04:26 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I tried it when I started wet shaving again. I found it destroyed shaving soap lather and did nothing for my beard or the shave. I tried it later with shaving cream and found the two more compatible, but still no help with slickness or softening of the beard. I stopped using it and use Proraso pre-shave or Floid pre-shave, they both provide cushioning and help set up the beard.

16 542
 05-28-2013, 02:01 PM
User Info
I tried some Simpsons recently and thought it added a lot of slickness to the shave. Very thin oil and probably not something I want to use everyday but the right formula does seem to have its benefits. I may experiment with making my own.

41 471