05-27-2013, 01:40 AM
User Info
Hi lads,Geordie sam here,back in the sixties (I was born 1960) we would sometimes have outbreaks at school of head lice (or "dickies" as we used to call them) our mothers would RUSH to the chemist's shop to buy a bar of Durbak soap(I remember it was brown,and had a strong smell) we would then be subjected to VIGOROUS hair washing,followed by a thorough hair combing session with a fine tooth comb.
Ah,happy days.
Geordie Sam.

0 79
 05-27-2013, 04:25 AM
User Info
You are about 10 years older than I am, but we had to suffer through those in the 70's as well. A kid in my second grade class caught them and I'm sure everyone had the same fun. His curly red hair was gone the next day as well.

I don't remember the soap, but it was a tar like medicinal smelling bit of awfulness.

18 569
 05-27-2013, 09:05 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Unfortuntely, lice and primary (elementary) schools just seem to go hand in hand. It seemed like the school nurses in the various schools I taught in (in two different cities more than two thousand miles apart) were checking for head lice on an almost daily basis.

2 11,211
 05-27-2013, 09:12 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Head lice and ring worm, those were the days.

173 23,553
 05-27-2013, 05:19 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
in the "reaaaall old" days, it was kerosene...I managed to get through the school daze
without the "remedy", which in my time was the famous "A-200" (also for the "older set" who weren't overly picky about whom they chose to cavort with) Nono...and it also went into the washer with one's clothes and bedding. it smelled like kero/turpentine/pine cleaner..
hmmmm....kinda like my aftershave ! Babeando

(poor choice of terms edit)
(always use "preview post" and count to ten)

0 1,291