05-27-2013, 08:22 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I had an Omega 24mm boar knot from TGN kicking around for a while looking for a handle. I kind of forgot about it, but then I came across a handle on ebay that I liked. It was clear and not very expensive and I bought it. It was a Fuller pure badger brush with the original knot still intact, but as usual with those old badger knots, it was not very good and shed like crazy. So, off with it! I had no problems removing the knot and enlarging the hole to about 27mm for the 24mm Omega knot with the plastic "bucket". The trouble started when I was fitting the knot to the handle. Enlarging the hole made the walls of the handle thin and I cracked the handle trying to fit the knot. I was upset, but then I just decided to roll with it and not waste the handle. This is a brush for myself, I thought, and so what if it has a crack in it. So, I continued and got it done. After the knot was epoxied in, the whole handle was stabilized and is now solid as a rock. However, it is not what I call a perfect restore Smile Still, this brush is awesome and I really like using it. It has a very comfortable shape and it's clear! I love that and although I've done a bunch of Lucite handles for others, it is a first one for me. I love it. Crack (and another flaw that is internal stress fracture or something) give the brush character and this was never going to be a den queen anyway. The knot is the usual Omega awesomeness. Getting broken in real fast and having shaved with it twice already I really love this brush. Flaws and all.

Here are the pictures (or it didn't happen):

[Image: jftEVrk.jpg]

[Image: vGnt6Xd.jpg]

[Image: 8vsxBqL.jpg]

[Image: gEl9F0q.jpg]

[Image: VNXIfU1.jpg]

[Image: 0yaj0Sd.jpg]

[Image: WLo4UKp.jpg]

[Image: DSFdTI1.jpg]

[Image: A8qDpeE.jpg]

[Image: tq1fsQJ.jpg]

[Image: Febicij.jpg]

25 1,705
 05-27-2013, 08:58 AM
User Info
(05-27-2013, 08:22 AM)vferdman Wrote: I had an Omega 24mm boar knot from TGN kicking around for a while looking for a handle. I kind of forgot about it, but then I came across a handle on ebay that I liked. It was clear and not very expensive and I bought it. It was a Fuller pure badger brush with the original knot still intact, but as usual with those old badger knots, it was not very good and shed like crazy. So, off with it! I had no problems removing the knot and enlarging the hole to about 27mm for the 24mm Omega knot with the plastic "bucket". The trouble started when I was fitting the knot to the handle. Enlarging the hole made the walls of the handle thin and I cracked the handle trying to fit the knot. I was upset, but then I just decided to roll with it and not waste the handle. This is a brush for myself, I thought, and so what if it has a crack in it. So, I continued and got it done. After the knot was epoxied in, the whole handle was stabilized and is now solid as a rock. However, it is not what I call a perfect restore Smile Still, this brush is awesome and I really like using it. It has a very comfortable shape and it's clear! I love that and although I've done a bunch of Lucite handles for others, it is a first one for me. I love it. Crack (and another flaw that is internal stress fracture or something) give the brush character and this was never going to be a den queen anyway. The knot is the usual Omega awesomeness. Getting broken in real fast and having shaved with it twice already I really love this brush. Flaws and all.

Here are the pictures (or it didn't happen):

[Image: jftEVrk.jpg]

[Image: vGnt6Xd.jpg]

[Image: 8vsxBqL.jpg]

[Image: gEl9F0q.jpg]

[Image: VNXIfU1.jpg]

[Image: 0yaj0Sd.jpg]

[Image: WLo4UKp.jpg]

[Image: DSFdTI1.jpg]

[Image: A8qDpeE.jpg]

[Image: tq1fsQJ.jpg]

[Image: Febicij.jpg]

Excellent! Excellent work indeed.

I too have one that is not perfect, but after I restored it I don't want to part with it. I call it my scraps brush because it was made with leftovers in the shop.

Enjoy your Ugly Duckling!

1 2,827
 05-27-2013, 09:14 AM
User Info
Nice job!

0 64
 05-28-2013, 11:18 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi

I like the way you continued and made the handle work, nicely done! Clap

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 05-28-2013, 05:34 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(05-28-2013, 11:18 AM)mikeperry Wrote: Hi

I like the way you continued and made the handle work, nicely done! Clap

Take care, Mike

Mike, when the handle cracked in my hands as I was fitting the knot, I kind of cringed, but managed to maintain calm enough to put the work down and go for a nice breath of fresh air. When I came back I decided to just roll with it. I really like the handle and chances of finding another one are slim, so I just went with the cracked handle. I figured it's my personal brush and it is functionally and structurally 100% sound, so why waste the handle? I am glad I made that decision. The brush is turning into a real nice piece of gear, warts and all.

25 1,705
 05-28-2013, 09:51 PM
User Info
I kind of like it cracked, its a rat rod brush Biggrin

Gives me an idea....

0 652
 05-29-2013, 09:35 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(05-28-2013, 05:34 PM)vferdman Wrote: Mike, when the handle cracked in my hands as I was fitting the knot, I kind of cringed, but managed to maintain calm enough to put the work down and go for a nice breath of fresh air. When I came back I decided to just roll with it. I really like the handle and chances of finding another one are slim, so I just went with the cracked handle. I figured it's my personal brush and it is functionally and structurally 100% sound, so why waste the handle? I am glad I made that decision. The brush is turning into a real nice piece of gear, warts and all.

Hi

Unfortunately I know that feeling all too well, but we do tend to learn valuable lessons from our mistakes, mishaps...

I think you ended up making some wise choices, the finished article speaks for itself, a job well done Thumbsup

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 05-29-2013, 01:24 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(05-29-2013, 09:35 AM)mikeperry Wrote: Hi

Unfortunately I know that feeling all too well, but we do tend to learn valuable lessons from our mistakes, mishaps...

I think you ended up making some wise choices, the finished article speaks for itself, a job well done Thumbsup

Take care, Mike

Wow! now I don't feel that bad (actually, I didn't feel all that bad as the brush came out great). This is my only clear handled brush and I really like it. I may get more... Thing is I have more than enough brushes already. I wonder if us brush makers should start trading our creations with each other. I have some awesome badgers I made. In fact, all but two of my badgers are my own restores or made from scratch. I seem to prefer boars at the moment, but my badgers are amazing! I may start a thread about it. What do you think, Mike? Do you have some brushes you made that you would trade for other members'? It could even be a non-permanent trade. A sort of show-and-shave. I'd be happy to loan most of my restores for a chance to try others'. Interesting idea...

25 1,705
 05-30-2013, 10:02 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(05-29-2013, 01:24 PM)vferdman Wrote: Wow! now I don't feel that bad (actually, I didn't feel all that bad as the brush came out great). This is my only clear handled brush and I really like it. I may get more... Thing is I have more than enough brushes already. I wonder if us brush makers should start trading our creations with each other. I have some awesome badgers I made. In fact, all but two of my badgers are my own restores or made from scratch. I seem to prefer boars at the moment, but my badgers are amazing! I may start a thread about it. What do you think, Mike? Do you have some brushes you made that you would trade for other members'? It could even be a non-permanent trade. A sort of show-and-shave. I'd be happy to loan most of my restores for a chance to try others'. Interesting idea...

Hi

I've only restored, re-knotted, etc a few shaving brushes, I haven't made a shaving brush from scratch...

I'm more than happy to loan out any of shaving brushes (as long as I feel comfortable with the person involved).

Take care, Mike

23 1,872