05-27-2013, 01:15 PM
User Info
I thought it would be a nice idea for people to recommend TV shows - past and present - that they think may be of interest to other people on here.

So, go ahead and post what and why.

----------------------

I don't watch much TV, but I did find that I liked a couple of recent shows that other friends mentioned to me. Here they are:

1) Sherlock -- As a lifelong fan of the Sherlock Holmes books, I was a little skeptical about a 'new take' on the series. However, this series is really very, very good. The script writing is smart, the acting is good and the cinematography is excellent. I like the fact that they put in a bunch of details that a Holmes fan will identify. Still, if you haven't read the books, you won't really notice them.

2) Doc Martin -- This is another take on the 'brilliant professional who is otherwise clueless' cliche (think 'House' and 'Bones'). However, unlike Bones (for example) the story is tighter, more whimsical, and the actors can actually act. The scenes are amazingly beautiful, the story is mostly interesting, and only occasionally slips into the realm of 'stupid'. It isn't deep, but is a pleasant way to pass the time.

Both these are available for instant viewing on Netflix.

37 1,731
 05-27-2013, 01:25 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
Doc Martin sounds very fascinating to me and I had never heard of it, thank you.

All of my TV watching has been relegated to what I can find online, be it through Netflix or other means.

I have certainly been caught up in the Arrested Development craze with Netflix releasing a whole new season at once, and I must say if you like the series, you would love the newest season. Lots of detail and hidden gems.

35 1,732
 05-27-2013, 01:34 PM
User Info
I've heard people talking about it but I only recently got into Sons of Anarchy and it's great. Tons of action, drama, and a lot of twists. Early seasons are on both Netflix and Amazon Prime.

10 2,062
 05-27-2013, 01:35 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
PBS's Downton Abbey.

Also, if some of the old PBS Masterpiece series are available on line (I don't really know how Netflix or the like work), then give them a try. Ones that come to mind are I Claudius and Brideshead Revisited. There are others, as well.

I agree with you about enjoying the British series, Sherlock but probably got less out of it than you as you are a big Sherlock Holmes fan. Along those lines, have you ever seen the British Sherlock Holmes series (also shown on PBS) starring the late Jeremy Brett? If not, you might want to consider them if they are available.

2 11,211
 05-27-2013, 04:41 PM
  • njpaddy
  • Central New Jersey
User Info
I don't watch too much tv. Except for movies on TCM, there's very little on that I enjoy watching. I am looking forward to the second season of Longmire which premieres tonight on A&E. It's a slightly different cop show about a sheriff in Wyoming. It reminds me a bit of Jesse Stone. The other show I like is New Tricks. I've been renting the older ones from Netflix and a PBS station is running newer ones from last year.

0 204
 05-27-2013, 05:19 PM
User Info
Freddy,

Yep, I've seen all the Jeremy Brett 'Sherlock Holmes' episodes. To me, he is Sherlock Holmes. He was pretty amazing in that role.

A bit of trivia: Jeremy Brett played 'Freddie' in the movie 'My Fair Lady'......he's the guy who sang 'On the street where you live'.

37 1,731
 05-27-2013, 05:52 PM
User Info
(05-27-2013, 01:35 PM)freddy Wrote: PBS's Downton Abbey.

We watch that as well

(05-27-2013, 04:41 PM)njpaddy Wrote: I am looking forward to the second season of Longmire which premieres tonight on A&E.

We will be watching tonight.

I really only sit here and have whatever my wife watches as background while I surf. I really can't get into much of today's type of TV shows. I'd rather watch Andy Griffith, The Honeymooners .......NASCAR and Chopped.
For some reason, I do watch Surviver.

31 1,800
 05-27-2013, 06:20 PM
  • freddy
User Info
(05-27-2013, 05:19 PM)yohannrjm Wrote: Freddy,

Yep, I've seen all the Jeremy Brett 'Sherlock Holmes' episodes. To me, he is Sherlock Holmes. He was pretty amazing in that role.

A bit of trivia: Jeremy Brett played 'Freddie' in the movie 'My Fair Lady'......he's the guy who sang 'On the street where you live'.

I knew that. It's just that even though I saw him in MFL first I so associate him with SH (and he is Sherlock to me, as well) that when MFL comes on the TV I am always taken aback when I see him in the role of Freddy. Rolleyes

2 11,211
 05-27-2013, 06:54 PM
User Info
(05-27-2013, 01:35 PM)freddy Wrote: PBS's Downton Abbey.

Also, if some of the old PBS Masterpiece series are available on line (I don't really know how Netflix or the like work), then give them a try. Ones that come to mind are I Claudius and Brideshead Revisited. There are others, as well.

I agree with you about enjoying the British series, Sherlock but probably got less out of it than you as you are a big Sherlock Holmes fan. Along those lines, have you ever seen the British Sherlock Holmes series (also shown on PBS) starring the late Jeremy Brett? If not, you might want to consider them if they are available.

We're watching it now on Amazon Prime.

So for one of my favorite, Justified. Raylon has a way about him that just warms my heart Wink

2 546
 05-27-2013, 08:13 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I'm sure my tastes will vary wildly from many here, being a big sci-fi/fantasy nut..current shows I watch are.

Doctor Who
Bates Motel
Mad Men
Defiance
Warehouse 13
Game of Thrones
Big Bang Theory

I also watch many specialty programs and documentaries on various channels like PBS, History, Discovery, Animal Planet, National Geo, etc...although, sadly, even those channels are succumbing to the reality show epidemic. I watch stuff on Netflix as well, currently I am catching up on Eureka episodes and will soon start watching the new season of Arrested Development. It will most likely take me forever, as I only actually watch about 8 hours of programming per week, having to split my free time between the tube and reading, the latter of which always wins out if I have to choose.

31 1,510
 05-28-2013, 01:55 AM
User Info
Yohann,when you say "Doc Martin" do you mean the British show about a grumpy Doctor who has a phobia about blood,but who is really a very good doctor,because if you are,it's shot in Cornwall,which is probably the most beautiful English county.I like it a lot.And regarding Jeremy Brett,as you say he IS Sherlock Holmes,his facial expressions and little "ticks" as he ponders his thoughts are priceless.Sadly Jeremy Brett had a bit of a "breakdown" when his wife died,he was also a terrible smoker and suffered with a bad heart,you can see the effects of his heart medication throughout the Holme's series,his face keeps going from slim to being rather chubby at different times.

If I had to pick my favourite show there is only ONE WINNER,The Soprano's,everything about it from the perfect casting,to the script,the humour,right down to the brilliant theme tune,the opening credits (for Gods sake) are better than most British rubbish.I can't stand the likes of Downton Abbey,you Americans think us Brits all live like that,we don't,now you must excuse me,the underfootman has burned my toast again,I need to give him a jolly good "thrashing",bloody workshy commoner,and then the maid needs a good "seeing" to,there's just no rest for us "good eggs".
Sam.(not Geordie,their awful people)

0 79
 05-28-2013, 08:20 AM
  • freddy
User Info
Sam, in no way do I think that all people from the U.K. live like those on Downton Abbey and I doubt that most Americans think like that. Downton Abbey is nothing more than good entertainment. While I agree with you that there is plenty of rubbish on British telly (can you say East Enders or Coronation Street?), overall I think British television is generally more interesting than much of the rubbish we get on this side of the pond. I was once invited to a casual dinner at the height of The Sopranos popularity. After dinner, everyone sat down to watch it. Never having seen it, I was curious. I was bored out of my socks and that is the only episode I ever saw. Does every Englishman think the Sopranos represents every American? I certainly hope not. Many of your British comedies are so much better than what we get here in the States but that isn't always true. I have enjoyed To The Manor Born, Rising Damp, Are You Being Served, and many others. However, when the cast of Are You Being Served was transferred out to a farm the show became dreadful. Obviously, not everyone will agree with me and that is as it should be. I cannot imagine thinking that all British people think that Americans are as they are portrayed on the television any more than I would think that all Americans think everyone in Britain is just like Hyacinth Bucket ("that's Bouquet").

And now, I'm off to have the butler draw my bath. 24

2 11,211
 05-28-2013, 08:39 AM
User Info
Freddy,your CLEARLY an advocate of British "telly", Rising damp is a classic,Leonard Rossiter was an absolute master (though I hated his Politics)but to me the funniest comedy of all time is again American,Seinfeld.

0 79
 05-28-2013, 09:13 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Yohann, we seem to have a quite a few things in common...

I think the "new" BBC version of Sherlock Holmes is (very) well written and as you say, there's lots of nice little details in there... Being a "Londoner" (& someone who passed by 221B Baker Street almost daily for seven years) I do find the use of 187 North Gower Street as 221B Baker Street a visual assault on my eyes, though I think they did a decent job of the layout and décor of the flat inside...

Already this year I've (re)watched all Sherlock Holmes TV episodes & TV films starring Jeremy Brett twice, in my opinion he is "Sherlock", he just nails the character perfectly, plus overall Granada TV did an excellent job with the shows...

At the weekend I re-watched three Sherlock Holmes films starring Basil Rathbone, while his performance of Sherlock is pretty good, I find the portrayal of (bumbling) Dr Watson to be a bit grating (annoying), nothing against Nigel Bruce's performance as he plays the part very well... Though I do like The Hound of the Baskervilles (1939 film), correct time setting, location, etc, greatly helps me enjoy this version...

If you like (get) British humour, The Inbetweeners is brilliant. Warning: If you find foul language inappropriate, this show isn't for you.

The IT Crowd is worth a watch.

A couple of oldies, but both are well worth watching, The Good Life (1975 TV series) & Porridge (TV series).

Also House of Cards (UK TV series) is worth a viewing.

Red Dwarf

Any BBC Nature programme with Sir David Attenborough associated with it is pure gold (IMHO).

23 1,872
 05-28-2013, 09:20 AM
  • freddy
User Info
(05-28-2013, 08:39 AM)geordie sam Wrote: Freddy,your CLEARLY an advocate of British "telly", Rising damp is a classic,Leonard Rossiter was an absolute master (though I hated his Politics)but to me the funniest comedy of all time is again American,Seinfeld.

Seinfeld was truly dreadful; the worst America has to offer. I only lasted five minutes with that drivel. Once again, Sam, we'll just have to agree to disagree. Tongue

As for my being an advocate for British telly and you liking American programming, perhaps it's no more than the grass looking greener on the other side. Wink

2 11,211
 05-28-2013, 09:24 AM
  • freddy
User Info
Yohann, Mike mentioned The Good Life. Frankly, anything with Penelope Keith is great. If you can get it, try To The Manor Born, also starring Ms. Keith. Both were half hour British television comedies.

2 11,211
 05-28-2013, 09:26 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(05-28-2013, 08:20 AM)freddy Wrote: While I agree with you that there is plenty of rubbish on British telly (can you say East Enders or Coronation Street?)...

Freddy, my mum wants to speak with you, boy-o-boy are you in trouble Biggrin Tongue Biggrin

I think it would be (fairly) safe to say I could count on one hand the number of episodes my mum has missed since it began (over 50 years ago)...

True story, I now on occasion deliberately phone her just before 07:30pm (UK local time), just to wind her up and hear the sound of the telephone being put down on me as the opening music of Coronation Street starts to play in the background.

Now I'm off to the West wing of the house for tea and crumpets Biggrin

23 1,872
 05-28-2013, 09:32 AM
  • freddy
User Info
Well, Mike, between the two of us, I wonder who should run faster to get away from your mother. Laughing1

(05-28-2013, 09:26 AM)mikeperry Wrote:
(05-28-2013, 08:20 AM)freddy Wrote: While I agree with you that there is plenty of rubbish on British telly (can you say East Enders or Coronation Street?)...

Freddy, my mum wants to speak with you, boy-o-boy are you in trouble Biggrin Tongue Biggrin

I think it would be (fairly) safe to say I could count on one hand the number of episodes my mum has missed since it began (over 50 years ago)...

True story, I now on occasion deliberately phone her just before 07:30pm (UK local time), just to wind her up and hear the sound of the telephone being put down on me as the opening music of Coronation Street starts to play in the background.

Now I'm off to the West wing of the house for tea and crumpets Biggrin

2 11,211
 05-28-2013, 10:05 AM
User Info
1) Breaking Bad is perhaps my favorite show. It's is about a chemistry teacher who is diagnosed with lung cancer, and turns to producing meth as a way of securing his families financial future post-death. Although quite dark, the character development is quite good, and it is extremely well-written.

2). Shameless. Stars William H. Macy and Joan Cusack. Show is about an extremely close-knit defunctional family. Another well-written and entertaining show that always leaves me wanting more. The daughter, played by Emily Rossum, is both the glue holding the family together, and IMO, darn sexy too Smile

3). Nurse Jackie: staring Edie falco from the sopranos. She is a pill popping nurse and this is one of my and SWMBO favorite shows. If I could change one thing about it, the episodes would be an hour as opposed to 30 min.

4). Curb your enthusiasm. Larry David, creater/ producer of seinfeld stars in this show. He is both quite funny and quirky. SWMBO has often told me that I remind her of him. I don't know if that is a compliment tho Smile

5). Entourage. Based off of the life of mark wahlburg, this show is really well written. It's the story about a kid from NY who"makes it" as a successful actor, and all of his friends and older brother are with him for the ride.

I miss the Sopranos!

14 211
 05-28-2013, 10:33 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(05-28-2013, 10:05 AM)Kooze Wrote: 1) Breaking Bad is perhaps my favorite show. It's is about a chemistry teacher who is diagnosed with lung cancer, and turns to producing meth as a way of securing his families financial future post-death. Although quite dark, the character development is quite good, and it is extremely well-written.

I totally forgot about Breaking Bad! It's been 8 months since the last fresh episode, this lame tactic they're pulling by withholding the final 8 episodes for 11 months is BS..the episodes are done..they're just sitting on them. Angry

31 1,510