05-29-2013, 04:39 AM
User Info
As a newbie I'm wondering what are the positives of Tabac. I've never tried it and have only tried AOS sandalwood cream. Can you guys give me directions, opinions, etc...??

0 759
 05-29-2013, 07:16 AM
User Info
For a newbie, and you will notice in this WetShave saga, Tabac is very great and very easy to lather. Give it a try. You'll not regret!

13 1,313
 05-29-2013, 12:42 PM
User Info
EJM, there are so many really fantastic soaps that are just shy of being superlative. Tabac is one of them. That may seem like a left handed compliment to Tabac, but I don't mean it that way. The really fantastic products are just that and just miss being "the best" by a hair. That's very good indeed.

I could give you my list, but I won't. But Tabac is one of them.

Just keep your ear to the soap forum and the SOTD forum to see what folks are using.

Note: Disregard my SOTD (except Sunday shaves) since I'm using up my lowest performing soaps, and soaps I have no plan to replace for my "weekday" shaves.

32 6,308
 05-29-2013, 01:15 PM
User Info
Why not? Is it secret?Blush

(05-29-2013, 12:42 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I could give you my list, but I won't.

13 1,313
 05-29-2013, 02:02 PM
User Info
Tabac was one of my very first soaps and I really love the scent and the ease of use. I have various other soaps, sticks, and creams and I will use the Tabac every so often just because of the scent. I don't use it as often as I use to but it is one of the soaps that I will buy again once I use it up. I would hate to not have some on hand.

I just bought the refill puck to save money but for a few dollars more, the jar is nice to have.

0 123
 05-29-2013, 02:21 PM
User Info
Me!? Secret? That's too much! Wink

Well, no, but my list is just mine; I expect others to have their own lists. Too, I gave homework regarding the SOTD posts and the soap forum. You need to find your list, but you threw down the gauntlet... Biggrin The biggest reason was I didn't want to take the time to type it as I was busy at the time. Not so much now. Too, I'm no expert, I just know what I like and have tried. Quite frankly, I believe that we're in the golden age of shaving and the products available today are really quite good. The list of junk products is easier to type and it's quite small. Smaller still if you confine products used to reviewed products and those seen on the SOTD.

If I had more time to experiment this list would probably be much longer.

The superlative soaps, all catagories include soaps, creams, and croaps and I don't distinguish, in order 10 being best. Understand that the differences between these products and the following list are minute, so the differences between 10 and 9 are even more minute.

10) MdC
9) Klar Seifen, ABCBA, P.160

The "merely" fantastic, in no particular order. I haven't tried everything. Face goodness isn't quite up to the superlative list, and is lacking by a hair of being on that list. Prices are so much better though, most are ridiculously fantastic for the price:

Tabac soap, Provence Sante (verlain), Palmolive soap, Boots stick, Valobra almond and stick, 3P, Klar Kabinett, Speick, MWF, any RazoRock, any Proraso (includes Bigelow), WARS, Bond, Nivea, KMF.

The really good, generally they lack face goodness after the shave:

Arko stick (ridiculously inexpensive for the performance, after the shave face feel is totally lacking), Burmashave soap (vintage), Barbershop Pro (vintage; or should it be in the list above? It's awfully good.)

I hope that makes sense.

32 6,308
 05-29-2013, 02:25 PM
User Info
Tabac = polarizing scent with consistently great lathering abilities. While it won't be one that everyone keeps in their Nook, I do believe that it is one that everyone should try at least once.

31 7,912
 05-29-2013, 06:33 PM
User Info
Tabac is one of the easiest to lather soaps around. The scent is a love it or hate it kind of thing. I happen to like it a lot.

1 345
 05-30-2013, 04:52 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
(05-29-2013, 02:21 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Me!? Secret? That's too much! Wink

Well, no, but my list is just mine; I expect others to have their own lists. Too, I gave homework regarding the SOTD posts and the soap forum. You need to find your list, but you threw down the gauntlet... Biggrin The biggest reason was I didn't want to take the time to type it as I was busy at the time. Not so much now. Too, I'm no expert, I just know what I like and have tried. Quite frankly, I believe that we're in the golden age of shaving and the products available today are really quite good. The list of junk products is easier to type and it's quite small. Smaller still if you confine products used to reviewed products and those seen on the SOTD.

If I had more time to experiment this list would probably be much longer.

The superlative soaps, all catagories include soaps, creams, and croaps and I don't distinguish, in order 10 being best. Understand that the differences between these products and the following list are minute, so the differences between 10 and 9 are even more minute.

10) MdC
9) Klar Seifen, ABCBA, P.160

The "merely" fantastic, in no particular order. I haven't tried everything. Face goodness isn't quite up to the superlative list, and is lacking by a hair of being on that list. Prices are so much better though, most are ridiculously fantastic for the price:

Tabac soap, Provence Sante (verlain), Palmolive soap, Boots stick, Valobra almond and stick, 3P, Klar Kabinett, Speick, MWF, any RazoRock, any Proraso (includes Bigelow), WARS, Bond, Nivea, KMF.

The really good, generally they lack face goodness after the shave:

Arko stick (ridiculously inexpensive for the performance, after the shave face feel is totally lacking), Burmashave soap (vintage), Barbershop Pro (vintage; or should it be in the list above? It's awfully good.)

I hope that makes sense.

What is ABCBA?

1 738
 05-30-2013, 07:44 AM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
For some reason the soap (Tabac) doesn't work out real good for me. While I find it lathers great, I just don't get good protection from it and seem to get a lot of nicks when using it. The cream, that's good stuff, I really like using it.

12 743
 05-30-2013, 12:52 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I have to agree with ShadowsDad in that there are so many really fantastic soaps out there and that "everyone" has "A List" and you will need to make your own.

Now I too am using up my lowest performing soaps and the soaps I have no plan to replace for my "weekday" shaves.

But Holly Cow it will take a while to get through that stack.

1 819
 05-30-2013, 07:28 PM
User Info
ABCBA= Antica Barbieri Colla Bitter Almond (just plug that into google)

Grumpy, darn right it does. I've been working on 4 since last autumn and I have quite a ways to go before I'm finished with even one. But I see a window in th bottom of one and I'm almost down to a window in the bottom of another.

32 6,308
 06-03-2013, 04:46 PM
User Info
If I could have only two soaps, it would be a puck of Tabac and a puck of MWF. IMHO, these are the best of the best. Great lather and scent; smooth shaves.

Ed

19 697
 06-03-2013, 04:57 PM
User Info
Tabac is fantastic. It's even better if you love the smell. Biggrin
Thank God that I do love the smell.

2 805
 06-03-2013, 05:21 PM
User Info
Well, everyone should at least try Tabac once, it doesn't get much use from me these days, I actually like Walters performance better honestly.

But try it, and while you're at it, pickup a tub of Proraso green, its a right of passage, every wet shaver uses Proraso at least once in their life; some keep using it, like myself. Biggrin

0 652
 06-04-2013, 12:12 AM
User Info
I still haven't found a better lathering soap than Martin de Candre BiggrinHeartThumbup

22 5,043