05-29-2013, 05:09 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Today at one of the local antique stores I saw a DE razor I have never seen before. It was an open comb two piece with a bakelite handle pressed to a comb via a metal cuff and a top plate with engraving

"Hallmark
Made in USA"

in the lower right corner. It was claimed to be NOS and it looked pretty good, but some minor plating bubbling was evident on the bottom plate. Top plate looked new and shiny. I did not have enough cash on me to grab it (place doesn't take credit cards) and so I decided to learn a bit about it before I spend the money since the impulse buy was thwarted.

Does anyone know about these? I have not been able to find anything about this razor. It looks like it may be a good shaver and it's a vintage OC, what can be bad? It looks like no Gillette I've ever seen, so it's not a re-branded Gillette. I was able to see only one reference here (B&B). The one I saw was in much better shape and the handle was black. I may buy it tomorrow and give it a shave, but if anyone has any info before then, please let me know.

25 1,705
 05-30-2013, 01:06 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
1) Any Pics

2) I had not heard of it before.

3) How much do they want for it?

4) And where is the Store located?

1 819
 05-31-2013, 04:24 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(05-30-2013, 01:06 PM)Grumpy Wrote: 1) Any Pics

2) I had not heard of it before.

3) How much do they want for it?

4) And where is the Store located?

No pics as I did not have my camera on me. See the pics in my link. The razor I saw is identical, but is in new condition and has a black handle instead of white.

I've never seen one before either.

They are asking $15 for it.

The store is in Northampton, Massachusetts.

I may buy it to try. Very curious and it's an OC that looks like it could be a good shaver. Just wanted to see if anyone knew anything about it.

25 1,705
 05-31-2013, 05:39 AM
User Info
i'd go for it as it sound like a nice addition to a rotation.

5 410
 05-31-2013, 06:47 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(05-31-2013, 05:39 AM)Johnus Wrote: i'd go for it as it sound like a nice addition to a rotation.

I am thinking the same thing. I'll be in that neck of the woods later today and will pick it up most likely. If I do I'll give it go tomorrow and report on how it works. It may be the best razor in the world, for all we know. I am sure someone made that for Hallmark, but not sure who. It says Made in USA, and it does not look like Gillette at all, so I am a bit stumped at to who else may have made it. What other DE razor manufacturers were there? This looks like an item from 50's-60's perhaps. Really not sure.

25 1,705
 06-01-2013, 07:05 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I bought the razor and shaved with it this morning. It's an awesome shaver! I would liken in to a Joris or Cadet/RazoRock open comb. Aggressive, but not crazy. More aggressive than New, but very smooth. I loaded a fresh 7 O'clock green blade and got a fantastic BBS. These blades are not my favorites, but they are a good mild blade and I saw the razor was going to be on the efficient side, so I went with a milder blade. Great results! Very comfortable and very close shave. The balance of this razor is towards the head because of light plastic handle. Kind of like a Joris with a horn handle. It works as the head is fairly heavy and does a good job of keeping the blade to the skin just by its own weight. No pressure needed at all. The handle is very comfortable and does not slip at all. The size and shave of the handle are excellent. all in all, a great razor!

Here are some pictures:

[Image: haO3PmR.jpg]

[Image: OSUTRHK.jpg]

[Image: fIZWu0a.jpg]

[Image: oJsTKUN.jpg]

[Image: dCgPrq5.jpg]

[Image: mYcsCGw.jpg]

[Image: fSVFYxz.jpg]

[Image: dgN101l.jpg]

[Image: RkWVTtX.jpg]

[Image: StFtaF0.jpg]

[Image: 57KPV0n.jpg]