05-29-2013, 08:41 PM
  • tezza
  • Los Angeles
User Info
I bought a razor on ebay a while back, it's a Grelot 42 5/8. I'd never seen one and was wondering if anyone knows this model. It's a much thinner gauge blank than the typical Grelot and it's made of chromoly steel. (possibly stainless) The spine is in fact very thin. It's a modest razor. P. Hospital with the later type of bell logo stamp so I think it's maybe a 60's razor or later. Came in a red Grelot box. Looks like a full hollow but its so thin, half hollow would look like full. Takes a really fine, narrow bevel. Anyway, it's a terrific shaver! When I first got it, I had to finish up my shaves with another razor because I couldn't get through the toughest spots with it but after a little refinement of my technique, it was shaving like crazy - mowing through the thickest parts of my beard, no problem. Just needed a flatter angle and a little bit of a scoop. I thought it was kind of a toy razor when I first unwrapped it and I figured, 'Oh well, at least I've got a nice vintage Grelot box.' but I've really developed some respect for it. Getting some really close shaves and it's becoming a favorite razor. Has anyone seen one of these before? I wonder why they don't turn up more often.

1 27
 05-30-2013, 12:45 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Can you post some pictures of this razor?

175 23,752
 05-30-2013, 05:24 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Tezza,
It's hard to tell what you have without a photo. The Le Grelot Hospital, however, is a coveted razor and a well regarded shaver, if honed properly, that is.

143 2,910
 05-30-2013, 07:33 AM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
A pic would be nice. I have an older 6/8 Grelot that's a good shaver but it's not thin.

12 743
 05-30-2013, 01:00 PM
  • tezza
  • Los Angeles
User Info
Yes, will post pics this evening, thanks!

1 27
 05-31-2013, 01:10 AM
  • tezza
  • Los Angeles
User Info
Here are some pics. Tried my best to get good coverage. Looking again at the grind of the blade, maybe it's not full or half, possibly 1/4? Hard to tell as the blade is narrower to begin with. You can see pitting on the chrome and there's a little rust on the shoulder but the cutting edge is clean. Also, I forgot to mention, the darn thing is magnetic!! Can you imagine, what's up with that?

Two other tangs (TI Sonnant and TI, Grelot style 11/16) for comparison, Grelot 42 on the right:
[Image: n6nWzUc.jpg]
Underside, Grelot 42 on the right again: [Image: 9bOecUB.jpg][Image: 7m9xasW.jpg][Image: xqgUNg6.jpg][Image: tL3wMwu.jpg][Image: mWYoyNT.jpg][Image: uxSPtoj.jpg][Image: paBt8CY.jpg]
Grelot 42 0n he top, TI 11/16 below: [Image: cXiYi2B.jpg]
TI 11/16 side by side:
[Image: O8ejhdP.jpg]

1 27
 05-31-2013, 03:51 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Tezza:
It's a bit hard to tell from these photos, but that looks like a half hollow. Overall, the razor appears to be in good shape. A little cleaning and polishing and you have yourself a fine razor. As I noted earlier, the Le Grelot Hospital is a coveted razor and a superb shaver. Enjoy it.

143 2,910
 06-01-2013, 02:56 AM
User Info
As Obie said, the Le Grelot razors a nice vintage blades. I've had several, and they've all been good shavers. most of them were quarter or half hollow ground. This one looks like a quarter hollow. They usually give a nice, smooth shave.

37 1,743
 06-01-2013, 10:24 PM
  • tezza
  • Los Angeles
User Info
I'm definitely enjoying it. Going to get some Maas and see what I can do to clean it up. Still curious how this razor comes to be chrome, magnetic, and so thin. I'm familiar with other Grelot models - and you see a fair number of them but I can't find any reference to one like this. Been Google-ing and did discover magnetic razors were a fad (and a marketing ploy) at one time. Saw some German-made magnetic ones but nothing about a Grelot 42. I wouldn't describe it as rare, but I do wonder why they don't turn up more often.

1 27