05-30-2013, 03:02 AM
User Info
......then I just bought a Vie-Long from Bullgoose, and thought, "Man $18 is dirt cheap!"

Biggrin

It's amazing how my perspective on shaving stuff has changed. Wink

37 1,731
 05-30-2013, 03:25 AM
User Info
If I had to go pay $4+ for a new Gillette cartridge, I am sure that I would still complain about it too.

18 567
 05-30-2013, 03:43 AM
User Info
BiggrinBiggrin

That's right fellows, traditional wet shaving changes our perspectives...

0 124
 05-30-2013, 03:48 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Went with the wife yesterday to Walgreen's to pick up a few things including some blades for her razor. I could not believe the price of those darn things.

173 23,481
 05-30-2013, 07:24 AM
User Info
I use a Gillette Fusion cart on my EJ Bulbous Lined chrome or my EJ Chatsworth Barley chrome handles twice a week.
I then hone the cart with my thumb and on a Razorpitt.

I have coarse beard for a Scandinavian.
I still get 8-10 comfortable facial shaves from one Fusion cart, so it's not that expensive, as long as you buy the carts at some reputable online resellers IMHO

I can shave my head 20-30 times with the same Fusion cart.
Still nice shaves.

DE blades and razors are far better, but more time consuming, so I only DE shave during late night evening shaves twice a week (I shave 4 times a week on average - I enjoy the stubbled look)

I agree - Fusion do give me an ingrown hair in the same spot, but my brush wips it open for easy removal.....I always shave using a brush and cream/soap.
Only very rarely do I use shaving gel and no brush......

(05-30-2013, 03:48 AM)Johnny Wrote: Went with the wife yesterday to Walgreen's to pick up a few things including some blades for her razor. I could not believe the price of those darn things.

Don't buy carts at malls - they overcharge heavily !

Buy them at reputable online stores for half the price !

22 5,038
 06-03-2013, 12:17 PM
  • Dalejr
  • Nova Scotia, Canada
User Info
I've spent thousands of dollars on DE stuff, more than I ever would have on carts but this hobby is way more fun.

1 49
 06-08-2013, 09:24 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
(05-30-2013, 03:48 AM)Johnny Wrote: Went with the wife yesterday to Walgreen's to pick up a few things including some blades for her razor. I could not believe the price of those darn things.

Johnny I'm surprised you haven't gotten your wife into shaving with a woman's DEHuh

15 970
 06-12-2013, 08:38 AM
User Info
(05-30-2013, 07:24 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: Don't buy carts at malls - they overcharge heavily !

Buy them at reputable online stores for half the price !

Better yet, don't buy carts. Tongue

0 64
 06-12-2013, 09:29 AM
User Info
I got started into wet shaving too because of the price of carts but more so because I wanted to play around with soaps and brushes. The DE came a little later. In the long run I think it kinda evens out unless you go with really fancy equipment.

2 102
 06-12-2013, 09:35 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
The price of carts was secondary for me - I just liked the shiny razors. Blush

35 2,703
 06-13-2013, 07:23 PM
User Info
Yeah, I got into this because of the price of carts too. But that's when shaving was a chore that I despised. This is enjoyable. I actually look forward to my daily shave. It's no longer a hated chore.

I don't have a lot of expensive individual pieces of shave gear. But in aggregate I've spent a lot. But I've slowed down greatly in purchasing things. Lately high end soaps, and those are few.

Johnny, just get her a Lady Gillette and give it to her as a B'day present or some such. That's what I did for my wife even though she told me she didn't want one. She actually secretly wanted one it turned out.

32 6,308
 06-14-2013, 01:44 AM
User Info
For me it was less the price as the unavailability of my "choosen" cart - I got lousy shaves with a Sensor and having borrowed a newer cart at one point I knew I wasn't going to get a better shave, so why pay more for the carts I could get? I still find carts - even online - very costly when compared to the number of shaves most guys seems to get out of them. Same goes for canned goo. And off course, carts and canned goo adds to the mountain of waste we leave behind for the next generation as well...

A good brush and a decent razor (be it straight, DBSR, SE or DE) lasts nearly forever, meaning both less waste and that they are practically free in the long run Biggrin

3 3,548