04-11-2012, 07:18 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I never thought I would like lavender soap. My wife didn't think she'd like the smell on me. We were both wrong.

I ordered a lavender sample from Mystic Water soap, just because the scent is so pervasive among traditional shaving products, I thought I should find out what it was like. Well, I like it a lot.

Here's where you come in. It's the only lavender I've smelled, and I'm trying to decide what lavender soap/cream to add to my stable.

Lines I'm considering:
  • RazoRock King Louis
  • RazorRock Chianti Lavender
  • Mystic Water Wild Lavender
  • Speick cream or soap.
  • ??? You tell me.

If you know what Mystic Waters Wild Lavender smells like, and know one of the ones above, how do they compare? If you aren't familiar, it's a spicy, herbal scent. The flowery notes are there, but they don't dominate.

What are your favorite lavenders?

I feel like I did when I was picking a boar brush. I have choice paralysis!

10 1,858
 04-11-2012, 07:19 PM
User Info
My favorite Lavender is TOBS.

2 697
 04-11-2012, 07:30 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Im a lavender lover.I like most soaps/creams with lavender smell.

The ones that I do like a lot are :

1.T&H Lavender shaving cream.
2.Tabula Rasa Dark Lavender
3.Martin de Candre scent.

I know that are other excellent lavender soaps/creams out there,like the AoS lavender or the Castle forbes one (both smell the same,or I cant noticed any differences),the Cyril R. Salter/T&H shaving soap (sweet,fresh lavender scent),the Dr. Selby one (bitter-sweet herbal scent) or the TOBS soap (more on the sweeter side of lavender).
Speick its an herbal scent and spicy,but far from lavender,I would say,even when it has some lavender oil on it (If I can remember well).

86 7,123
 04-11-2012, 07:33 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
(04-11-2012, 07:30 PM)Teiste Wrote: Im a lavender lover.I like most soaps/creams with lavender smell.

The ones that I do like a lot are :

1.T&H Lavender shaving cream.
2.Tabula Rasa Dark Lavender
3.Martin de Candre scent.

I know that are other excellent lavender soaps/creams out there,like the AoS lavender or the Castle forbes one (both smell the same,or I cant noticed any differences),the Cyril R. Salter/T&H shaving soap (sweet,fresh lavender scent),the Dr. Selby one (bitter-sweet herbal scent) or the TOBS soap (more on the sweeter side of lavender).
Speick its an herbal scent and spicy,but far from lavender,I would say,even when it has some lavender oil on it (If I can remember well).

How do your top three compare to the T&H Lavender? I was not a fan of the T&H but am interested in others as well.

35 1,732
 04-11-2012, 07:33 PM
User Info
I have never tried the ones you listed, however, I love thee AoS Lavender. But, of course, like everything else, YMMV.

1 223
 04-11-2012, 07:48 PM
User Info
I tried TOBS lavender soap and T&H lavender cream. TOBS lavender is a pleasing smell, run of the mill. But T&H lavender cream is a different monster and is an absolute masterpiece. It has vibes of clean soap, burnt sugar and lavender, a winner combination IMO. It has the best smell amongst all the creams and soaps I have (nearly 50 at the moment) and it is pure joy for me to shave with it, since it also has a protective, moist and rich lather.

4 365
 04-12-2012, 01:21 AM
User Info
My vote for best lavender based scent goes to Czech & Speake's Oxford & Cambridge. Thumbup

15 75
 04-12-2012, 05:22 AM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
AOS Lavender soap is great, so is RazoRock Chianti Lavender.

7 1,018
 04-12-2012, 07:14 AM
  • Edson
  • Artisan Razor Restorer
  • Oregon
User Info
AOS Lavender is a lighter lavender scent, but the soap is top notch.

C&S O&C is a stronger lavender and the same soap base as AOS - fantastic!

DR Harris lavender is also light on scent, but an excellent performer. I prefer DRH soaps to GFT, TOBS or Trufitt.

Martin de Candre is a eucalyptus type lavender with a slight medicinal scent. I personally love the scent and the performance is fantastic as well.

Castle Forbes has an excellent lavender scent and is one of the best creams out there. I prefer it to all other English creams.

Tabula Rasa Dark Lavender is also fantastic and one of my absolute favorite creams. Though this one has a very different texture than most anything out there.

11 185
 04-12-2012, 07:45 AM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Some great and very tempting suggestions so far. Unfortunately I think some of the most interesting are outside my budget for the moment.

CF and Tabula Rasa are definitely on my "must try" list, but not for this order. Sad

10 1,858
 04-12-2012, 07:53 AM
User Info
I just bought a tub of CF lavender and I absolutely love it! Smells amazing and performance is top notch, my only regret is that I waited so long to get this great cream! It looks like an expensive cream, but you get a 200ml tub, that's well over 6 ounces! It's a lot of cream, and you don't use much per shave. In a large rotation this could last a very long time.

15 222
 04-12-2012, 08:08 AM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Reviews convinced me of the relative value of the CF cream a while ago. Simple mathematics are my bane this time. Smile

10 1,858
 04-12-2012, 09:56 AM
User Info
I've only tried the AOS lavender and have PdP lavender bath soap. if PdP's shaving soap smells like their bath soaps, I'd have to give the nod to the PdP lavender.

40 5,830
 04-12-2012, 09:59 AM
User Info
(04-12-2012, 09:56 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: I've only tried the AOS lavender and have PdP lavender bath soap. if PdP's shaving soap smells like their bath soaps, I'd have to give the nod to the PdP lavender.

Pre de Provence does not smell like lavender, at all. Not sure what it smells like but it is a good shave soap.

EDIT: I found somewhere that it is lightly scented with sage.

15 222
 04-12-2012, 10:06 AM
User Info
(04-12-2012, 09:59 AM)reyrascon Wrote:
(04-12-2012, 09:56 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: I've only tried the AOS lavender and have PdP lavender bath soap. if PdP's shaving soap smells like their bath soaps, I'd have to give the nod to the PdP lavender.

Pre de Provence does not smell like lavender, at all. Not sure what it smells like but it is a good shave soap.

EDIT: I found somewhere that it is lightly scented with sage.

well, whatever their lavender bath soap is scented with, is what I like...be it sage or lavender.

the AOS lavender scent is too mild for me.

40 5,830
 04-12-2012, 10:49 AM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
After much agonizing, I decided to go ahead and get a travel size CF to test. It's less economical in cost per mL, but it fits in the budget and will make a good justification if I like it.

10 1,858
 04-12-2012, 10:57 AM
User Info
I noticed this with Taylors Rose shave cream, perhap it is true with lavender ones out there. I could not see anything that said rose in the Taylors product. Only Parfum.

Do the labels on these lavender products say contains natural lavender or is it a perfume scent they add to the standard formula.

5 273
 04-12-2012, 10:59 AM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Depends on the manufacturer, I'm guessing. Quite a few of the RazoRock products specifically mention essential oils of lavender, for instance.

10 1,858
 04-13-2012, 01:11 PM
User Info
I Like The TOBS & CF Lavender Never used the ones you listed.

0 68
 04-13-2012, 05:07 PM
User Info
Eric,
If you think Michelle's lavender was nice, you should try her Bayrum. It is intoxicating! i can not seem to put it down! Enjoy your C&F cream.

75 20,883