05-30-2013, 03:30 PM
User Info
Hi All,

Forgive me if these are common sense, but I had two questions about Blades:
  • Is it better (or necessary) to flip a DE Blade between Shaves? Currently, I've been keeping my DE Blade facing the same way (wax dots up) on every use. Is it better if I "rotate" the Blade between uses, so it lasts longer? (kinda like Rotating the Tires?) Or does it not matter?

• Does the number of days between a shave affect the longevity of a Blade? I would think that someone who has to shave every day, would have less facial hair to cut *per shave* than someone who has 2-3 days worth of hair to remove.

As a result would the Blade last longer for the person who shaves every day? (i.e., more # of Shaves per Blade?)

Thanks!

3 270
 05-30-2013, 03:58 PM
User Info
Ken, just my opinion, but that's way over thinking this thing. I stick a blade in, use it a few times and discard.

Life is too short. Wink

I'm not so sure the length of hair has much to do with density.

2 546
 05-30-2013, 04:58 PM
  • RedRocks
  • Four-Corners, USA
User Info
No need to flip the blade (IMO).

I have fairly slow growing, light whisker growth so I shave 2~3 times per week. I get 6 shaves over about 3 weeks on an Iridium Super.

~Frank

18 271
 05-30-2013, 05:07 PM
User Info
No need to worry about flipping the blade. Most will be good for 3-5 shaves depending on your hair type, how many passes you do and how often you shave. Smile

75 20,883
 05-30-2013, 09:35 PM
User Info
Hi All,

Thanks for the advice. Biggrin

Yah, I was just wondering if it was necessary on the Blade Flipping. Smile

In regards to Amount of Time inbetween Shaves (so you have to hack off more Beard per Shave), I was asking because the Gillette 7 'O Clock (Yellow) Blades I've been trying, feels like it's losing it's sharpness by the 3rd Shave/Use, but I've been letting my beard grow a bit between shaves (2 - 3 days), since I don't need to shave every day for work.

I just read about how so many people get 5+ Shaves per Blade (on most good Blades), so I was wondering.

Thanks.

3 270
 05-31-2013, 02:44 AM
User Info
Blades are different for different people. A lot of guys like the 7 o'clock yellow, but they are my least favorite of the 7 o'clocks. I have a box of 5 left and won't be replacing them.

Personally, I don't bother using any blade (except Single Edge blades) past 4 shaves, even though I know I could. I am certain I could get 5-6 out of Polsilvers, and 7 o'clock blue or blacks if I wanted, but other people may not.

The 2-3 day time between shaves will have nothing to do with how many uses you get out of it.

31 1,800
 05-31-2013, 03:30 AM
User Info
Anecdotally, I don't think the length between shaves makes a difference. Hard to determine with several variables changing between those two scenarios: beard density, effect of sitting out on the blade, ease of stubble reduction (I find taking off longer growth easier since the hairs are more flexible).

47 1,270
 05-31-2013, 09:22 AM
User Info
Thank you, Bowhnter, kentclark! Smile

OK, good to know that these things shouldn't really affect the duration of a blade.

On a side note, Bowhnter, do you know any store that still sells the 7 'O Clock Blues? I read in a previous thread that they were discontinued, but many enjoy those the most of the 7 series.

Thanks!

3 270
 05-31-2013, 01:24 PM
User Info
The Blues are solid blades in my experience, but I found the Blacks a bit sharper and the longest lasting DE blade I tried (12-14 shaves per blade). Haven't looked for Blues in a while but the Blacks were available through Shoebox Shave Shop and eBay.

47 1,270
 05-31-2013, 01:40 PM
User Info
(05-31-2013, 09:22 AM)shave_knight Wrote: On a side note, Bowhnter, do you know any store that still sells the 7 'O Clock Blues? I read in a previous thread that they were discontinued, but many enjoy those the most of the 7 series.

Thanks!

I think Bullgoose shaving has them still?

31 1,800
 05-31-2013, 03:15 PM
User Info
Thanks jm. Smile

(05-31-2013, 01:24 PM)kentclark Wrote: The Blues are solid blades in my experience, but I found the Blacks a bit sharper and the longest lasting DE blade I tried (12-14 shaves per blade). Haven't looked for Blues in a while but the Blacks were available through Shoebox Shave Shop and eBay.

@ kentclark: Oh wow, so the 7 'O Clock Blacks are even better? I'll have to give them a try. Thanks.

(05-31-2013, 01:40 PM)Bowhnter Wrote:
(05-31-2013, 09:22 AM)shave_knight Wrote: On a side note, Bowhnter, do you know any store that still sells the 7 'O Clock Blues? I read in a previous thread that they were discontinued, but many enjoy those the most of the 7 series.

Thanks!

I think Bullgoose shaving has them still?

Thanks Bowhnter. Great news. Smile

3 270
 06-04-2013, 05:15 AM
  • Dalejr
  • Nova Scotia, Canada
User Info
Hand stropping would be better to extend blade life.

1 49