05-30-2013, 03:47 PM
  • vpayne
  • Missouri
User Info
Members,
Any downside to considering pure badger if looking for strong backbone? Is it a waste of money?
Vic

32 362
 05-30-2013, 03:52 PM
User Info
I have only had one pure badger brush and the scritch was uncomfortable to me. With a badger brush, what you have is what you have. They don't really break in or get softer as time goes on.

I am not a fan, but it doesn't mean that you will not like it.

18 567
 05-30-2013, 04:07 PM
User Info
Yes, you need to be able to tolerate prickly tips. I wonder if anyone has tried bleaching the tips of a pure or black badger knot to make the softer? Or maybe they have clipped tops.

31 7,912
 05-30-2013, 04:10 PM
User Info
Vic, it depends on what you want in the tips for your face feel. If you like some scritch and prickle, pure badger might be up your alley. If you are really after a badger with backbone on a budget (my presumption since you asked about pure badger), take a look at Wet Shaving Products Prince in two-band, The Golden Nib Finest badger, and Frank Shaving Finest badger (through Ian Tang on eBay). I think WSP has the highest quality hair and densest knot for a bit more than the other two. TGN and FS Finest are similar IMO and offer a lot of bang for the buck. To beat these three in the two-band game means spending at least twice as much, IMHO.

EDIT: Forgot to add Vintage Blades Finest. I am very impressed with the 22mm one I have now.

47 1,270
 05-30-2013, 04:46 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
The only real criticism of Pure is a more scratchy sensation compared to other grades. Although another may be aesthetics as it looks different to the more commonly converted 3 band. Re-sale is also an issue as they are not as popular (currently). I've offered the AC (pictured below) a few times on the BST and never any takers...

I have owned a few Pure badgers. They work well, have strong backbone, not overly dense (allowing for good flow through), but do not have soft tips. They are really the only badger IMO that truly has a break in period as mine seem to have softened over time. (Of course I might just have become accustomed to the feel, as the ends don't split like boar, but it has been my experience that the knot as a whole, rather than the action of individual hairs, become less stiff and more forgiving with use). My advice would be to acquire a quality Pure badger, avoid the cheapest versions that may have trimmed or cut hairs as these will be the most scratchy. If you have sensitive skin or wish to avoid an exfoliating sensation, Pure may not be the best choice, unless you choose a high quality one (no cut ends) with a decent loft.

I still own a wood handle Acca Kappa in Pure that I use to use regularly and a giant Simpsons Samson. The Simpsons actually feels quite soft, more akin to Best.

Is it price or hair characteristics that draws your attention?

[Image: YFtXJs7.png]
Acca Kappa (Pure)

[Image: ed2qr4p.png]
Pure vs Super

91 17,811
 05-30-2013, 05:18 PM
User Info
I have a pure badger restore from TGN and it is one of my favorite brushes. It is not too scritchy at all, really, has good backbone and all an around enjoyable brush. I believe it is a 22mm set around 50mm.

31 1,800
 05-31-2013, 07:20 AM
  • vpayne
  • Missouri
User Info
Thanks to everyone for the input.

32 362
 06-01-2013, 04:49 AM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
Pures can certainly be more prickly than midgrade or silvertip brushes. I find them well-suited to bowl lathering, but they can be effective face latherers too. Personally, I will apply the lather from the bowl or face lather using a painting motion and have no issues with a scratchy feeling.

0 1,136
 06-06-2013, 11:30 AM
User Info
I think black badger is actually a better grade of hair. IMO.

Full disclosure: don't really like either tbh.

Oh, and black badger has more backbone. Probably the most backbone of any grade of hair. 2nd most is probably the grade of hair Shavemac uses in D01 2 band.

9 2,988
 06-06-2013, 12:05 PM
  • vpayne
  • Missouri
User Info
Thanks Lee, I haven't given black badger much thought because I have one & it is kinda soft and prickly. I may give another one a try.

32 362
 06-06-2013, 02:06 PM
User Info
(06-06-2013, 12:05 PM)vpayne Wrote: Thanks Lee, I haven't given black badger much thought because I have one & it is kinda soft and prickly. I may give another one a try.

I have a pure badger and mixed badger knot for testing purposes and they're pretty darned prickly. The mixed is worse. Dry feel puts the black badger about the same as pure in prickle with greater backbone.

The problem with most pure or black badger offerings is that the knot maker usually just chops off the stray hairs that don't fit instead of forming it to shape properly. Hence a really really prickly feel.

9 2,988
 06-06-2013, 04:00 PM
  • vpayne
  • Missouri
User Info
I think I will stick with the Shavemac D01 2 band. It is expensive but I don't see an alternative.

32 362
 06-06-2013, 10:16 PM
  • tezza
  • Los Angeles
User Info
(05-30-2013, 04:07 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Yes, you need to be able to tolerate prickly tips. I wonder if anyone has tried bleaching the tips of a pure or black badger knot to make the softer? Or maybe they have clipped tops.

I had a pure badger brush. It was a lather monster! Explosions of lather! But it was too scratchy for me, even using painting strokes. The tips were clipped to shape, and I tried to distress them but could not. Then it occurred to me bleaching might be the way to go to fray the clipped tips - the way over-bleached human hair frays and splits so I got some Loreal blue powder bleach and some 40 volume peroxide and bleached-out the tips. I treated it 3 times- and YES, it works!!! Just don't saturate further down the shaft than you have to because the bleach will soften the shaft and you'll lose your backbone. It doesn't have to be exact, just keep the bleach on the tips. Works like a charm!

1 27
 06-06-2013, 11:43 PM
User Info
You might be better off with one of the Owners Club Boars. They have the tips that are (for the most part) not trimmed and the hair will split. It feels great on your skin and whips up the soap like a champ.

Softer and Stronger than the Pure Badger. Smile

1 622
 06-07-2013, 10:16 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
For similar scrub to a pure but with less scritch try the Semogue Owner's Club 2-band badger or for even less scritch the SOC LE2012 mixed. I can't stand pure, the SOC 2-band was just beyond my comfort level and the LE2012 is tolerable and improving with each use. The backbone of these two brushes is higher than anything else I have ever tried, including a couple of pure badgers (Vulfix and VdH) that were immediate rejects because of the irritation they caused.

127 2,375
 06-07-2013, 04:51 PM
  • turtle
  • Lost in the lather
User Info
I traveled for 3 months last year. I took two brushes with me and one was a Simpsons pure badger Beaufort B4 (the other a Duke 1 best).

I took shave sticks, MWF and Cella soaps and face lathered for every shave.

I found that I enjoy using the pure badger brush but I ended up using the Duke 1 about 2 to 1. when I returned I sold both brushes as I felt neither were what I was after in a travel brush.

[Image: 3_month_travel_dopp_zps0e326099.jpg]

6 132
 06-07-2013, 05:40 PM
User Info
Huge pure fan here, I have an Eagle G2 and a Shavemac 173 with a 26/50 knot in pure as well. I suppose I'm the exception but I like to feel my brush against my face.

2 44
 06-08-2013, 06:35 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
Vic, pure badger doesn't have tapered tips like best, silvertip, and two-banded badger, which is why it can be harsh to the skin.

I lather in a bowl and I favored stiff pure badger brushes for some time. They didn't bloom into amorphous blobs when lathering and they had good flow-through because they didn't require dense knots for backbone. They lathered very efficiently and they caused no discomfort when applying the lather.

Pure badger brushes by Rooney have the tips lightly frayed to soften them. They are softer than many other pure badger brushes, but not as soft as best, silvertip, or two-banded badger.

- Murray

4 1,150
 06-12-2013, 09:36 AM
User Info
If you want strong backbone, they don't get much stronger than a boar brush. Boars have very strong backbones, soft tips, and in terms of costs, are probably the best values available in brushes.

2 102
 06-12-2013, 11:43 PM
User Info
Unless you are strictly using creams and want more density for lathering than I would highly recommend a Semogue Owners Club Boar. It will have plenty of backbone for you and that particular brush will have softer tips than the pure badger. And I don't usually concern myself with price as long as its for something useful but the Semogue OC Boar is inexpensive! Get some Penhaligons After Shave Balm or a Puck of Penhaligons Tallow from Phil at Bullgoose with the money your not wasting on a Badger Brush.

Semogue OC Boar + Penhaligons Tallow Puck = Absolute Perfection

1 622