05-31-2013, 07:15 AM
User Info
Ok.. I need help deciding on a new high end DE Razor. I've been using a merkur 37c slant for almost a year and really enjoy it but wanna see if there's something even better! I have sensitive skin but only in one spot on both sides of my neck (Grain Change). What do you guys suggest? I'm thinking either ATT Atlas (M Plate), Ikon Cadet or Tradere. Would entertain an Open Comb if it wasn't too aggressive.... Though I'd like something that's a step up from my Slant... But still smooth and efficient.... Any thoughts guy's? Thanks for your insight...

0 11
 05-31-2013, 07:26 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
First off welcome to TSN. I have the ATT Titan H which is fairly aggressive. On the other end is the Titan or Atlas M (mild head) I would go with the Atlas or Titan R head which is for regular beards.
Also the iKon open comb which is a very nice shaver and I consider it middle of the road. The iKon closed comb is actually more aggressive and I don't recommend that for you. Another option is the Weber polished stainless which is considered mild-average and is priced at only $70 for a US made razor. In any event if you select any razor especially a quality piece and don't like it you can always sell it and recoup most of your money.

100 12,448
 05-31-2013, 07:31 AM
User Info
The ATT M Plate is great, and I would categorize it as moderate, not mild. I'm actually going to sell my R plate as I get a BBS quite easily with the M plate.

Also, the precision machining on this one is beautiful, a step above what Ikon does.

47 1,114
 05-31-2013, 07:36 AM
User Info
(05-31-2013, 07:26 AM)slantman Wrote: First off welcome to TSN. I have the ATT Titan H which is fairly aggressive. On the other end is the Titan or Atlas M (mild head) I would go with the Atlas or Titan R head which is for regular beards.
Also the iKon open comb which is a very nice shaver and I consider it middle of the road. The iKon closed comb is actually more aggressive and I don't recommend that for you. Another option is the Weber polished stainless which is considered mild-average and is priced at only $70 for a US made razor. In any event if you select any razor especially a quality piece and don't like it you can always sell it and recoup most of your money.

Hmm.. I actually have considered a weber.. With bulldog handle..

(05-31-2013, 07:31 AM)david1201 Wrote: The ATT M Plate is great, and I would categorize it as moderate, not mild. I'm actually going to sell my R plate as I get a BBS quite easily with the M plate.

Also, the precision machining on this one is beautiful, a step above what Ikon does.

That's what I've heard.. ATT is a top notch quality.. I'm loving the look and I'm trying to decide between M and R.... : /

0 11
 05-31-2013, 07:54 AM
User Info
All of the razors you are considering are very nice.
i am very partial to the Weber DLC, but the Polished Head one might be a very economical and great option. i don't it will be more aggressive/effective than your Slant, but it is a "step-up" in quality! Good luck.

75 20,883
 05-31-2013, 08:00 AM
User Info
I have not tried the ATT, but I am partial to the Weber Polished bulldog handle. Just an all-around classic razor. I would say its just about medium aggressiveness. If I was to go higher end than that, I've also been a fan of the iKons and I'm glad that he brought back the OC bulldog model.

I've only tried the first generation Tradere OC and I couldn't find the right angle with it. However, I've read that that has been rectified and is no longer an issue. That one is more unique, handle-wise, but I tend to like that fat, squat bulldog handles.

72 1,407
 05-31-2013, 08:26 AM
User Info
The Weber I sold. The Tradere SB is my finest DE.

6 808
 05-31-2013, 09:50 AM
  • Frans
  • Netherlands
User Info
Hello, I have the Weber, which a a super razor for me. But it is not an open comb. Maybe the 2013 Mühle??
Good luck.

Frans

0 69
 05-31-2013, 11:11 AM
User Info
I'm sold on the Weber. For $70 it is a steal. I get close, smooth shaves with mine. Probably closer to mild than moderate but it gets the job done for,me with ease.

41 471
 05-31-2013, 12:58 PM
User Info
Have you considered a Merkur Vision? It's a amazing razor for various reasons and with someone who hasn't really found their preference, an adjustable is a great tool as you can obviously adjust the razor to meet your needs. As for resell value, that is one of the few razors that I've seen where the resell value is very good on average.

You could go with the Futur also, however, I've had both and I feel that the Vision is well worth the extra money.

3 53
 05-31-2013, 12:58 PM
User Info
Thanks for the inputs guys!

0 11
 05-31-2013, 01:36 PM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
iKon OC - good razor - you can swap out plates for around $35 if and when you choose to do so - giving you an OSS or the SB. All shave differently. The OC will be "milder" than your Slant. The OSS milder yet. The SB will provide you more aggression. The combo of OC, SB and your Slant, would be a pretty nice package.

Tradere SB - exceptionally smooth - provides a "moderate" shave in terms of aggression. Extremely well built - final shave will be very much like your Slant. The new OC is a bit more aggressive than the SB and will also provide a very smooth shave. Since the SB shaves (in terms of final results) very much like the Slant, I would probably go straight to the OC for your purpose.

Weber - probably the best return for your dollar in regards to the SS category. It will provide a mild to mild/moderate shave in regards to aggression. Will be milder than your Slant and every bit as smooth, if not more so.

ATT - the M plate will provide you a very smooth and slightly moderate to moderate shave. Closeness will be close to the Slant. The R plate will shave closer than the Slant, but will require a bit more "technique" and lighter touch to perfect. Regarding the H plate, I would probably give it a pass for now. It requires even more "technique" and a very light touch. The ATT razors are all built very well and you can interchange the baseplates as you can with the iKon; they are however more expensive.

Since you already have a Slant, the recommendation of a nice adjustable is certainly a good one. I have the Mergress LH, Futur and Vision 2000 and I think that either the Mergress or Futur would be a great addition. It's really hard to go wrong with either one and they will provide you a plethora of shaving options depending upon your mood.

I have to include the 2013 Muhle R41 in the mix as well. It is exceptionally smooth and shaves very close. For the money, it is very hard to beat. While the SS razors are built better (not that you're likely to wear out the R41 anytime soon), none of them are able to clearly "outshave" the new R41.

We're not talking about tons of cash here...pick a few up at the right price off B/S/T and if you don't like something, you will generally have no trouble in selling or trading it. All of my experience with B/S/T at this site has been positive and I highly recommend it.

29 466
 06-01-2013, 02:36 PM
User Info
(05-31-2013, 01:36 PM)Samjax Wrote: iKon OC - good razor - you can swap out plates for around $35 if and when you choose to do do - giving you an OSS or the SB. All shave differently. The OC will be "milder" than your Slant. The OSS milder yet. The SB will provide you more aggression. The combo of OC, SB and your Slant, would be a pretty nice package.

Tradere SB - exceptionally smooth - provides a "moderate" shave in terms of aggression. Extremely well built - final shave will be very much like your Slant. The new OC is a bit more aggressive than the SB and will also provide a very smooth shave. Since the SB shaves (in terms of final results) very much like the Slant, I would probably go straight to the OC for your purpose.

Weber - probably the best return for your dollar in regards to the SS category. It will provide a mild to mild/moderate shave in regards to aggression. Will be milder than your Slant and every bit as smooth, if not more so.

ATT - the M plate will provide you a very smooth and slightly moderate to moderate shave. Closeness will be close to the Slant. The R plate will shave closer than the Slant, but will require a bit more "technique" and lighter touch to perfect. Regarding the H plate, I would probably give it a pass for now. It requires even more "technique" and a very light touch. The ATT razors are all built very well and you can interchange the baseplates as you can with the iKon; they are however more expensive.

Since you already have a Slant, the recommendation of a nice adjustable is certainly a good one. I have the Mergress LH, Futur and Vision 2000 and I think that either the Mergress or Futur would be a great addition. It's really hard to go wrong with either one and they will provide you a plethora of shaving options depending upon your mood.

I have to include the 2013 Muhle R41 in the mix as well. It is exceptionally smooth and shaves very close. For the money, it is very hard to beat. While the SS razors are built better (not that you're likely to wear out the R41 anytime soon), none of them are able to clearly "outshave" the new R41.

We're not talking about tons of cash here...pick a few up at the right price off B/S/T and if you don't like something, you will generally have no trouble in selling or trading it. All of my experience with B/S/T at this site has been positive and I highly recommend it.

Wow.. Thanks for such a detailed response! I've decided to get the Ikon OC with Bulldog Handle... And also at the last minute pulled the trigger on a Webber Polished with Bulldog handle as well.. Your advise and that of others lead me to those two razors.. My next purchase will be a Merkur Future .... Thanks again!

Billy

0 11
 06-01-2013, 03:30 PM
User Info
I've been trying to hold off on a Weber myself, for some reason my brain can't comprehend a decent SS razor for $70, but the wave handle is calling my name. I understand people love them, and I'm sure Billy, you're going to love yours!

0 652
 06-01-2013, 06:04 PM
User Info
(05-31-2013, 11:11 AM)AFG008 Wrote: I'm sold on the Weber. For $70 it is a steal. I get close, smooth shaves with mine. Probably closer to mild than moderate but it gets the job done for,me with ease.

I agree, the Weber is a steal. I had one before, and I sold it. I've since repurchased it now that I've come to realize how great it is. You can't go wrong with it.

67 349