05-31-2013, 11:25 AM
User Info
Today I finally took delivery of my first Morris & Forndran shave brush. I wanted to share each step of my ordering process so people may know what to expect when ordering from Mr. Lee Sabini.

With the help of Ravi (Agravic) I was finally able to get in touch with Lee. Several months ago I sent quite a few emails which all went unanswered. However, I noticed the steady stream of new M&F's making their way to Ravi so I messages him some questions & he pointed me the right way.

I sent my first email to Lee on Aprill 22nd. We had about 3-4 emails back & forth pretty quickly. We decided on handle style & material as well as knot type & dimensions and finally proce. Things went quiet for a few days while I got my funds ready. Then on the 26th I confirmed payment details & paid. Lee confirmed payment & said that my brush would ship on Wednesday (May 1st).

Then things went silent, as if I was on the dark side of the moon. I waited & waited all with a shipped date of May 1st in my mind. On May 9th i sent an email inquiring about travking info which went unasnwered so I continued to practice patience. As time went by I started thinking it should be here by now. I've received a brush from China quicker than this. I sent my next email inquiring as to the fate of my brush on May 24th. Lee replied quickly this time informing me only that my brush was shipped & he had a tracking # for me the next day (25th).

Of course all I ever got with the tracking # from USPS was "Pre-Shipment info" until yesterday when it hit Nashville. So I went to my PO as they opened this morning to get my first M&F, a Butterscotch L7 Blonde Badger 24/50.

Packaging was a simple padded envelope. The brush was well wrapped in extra bubble wrap.

Please note the shipped date...
[Image: KzbhOAv.jpg]
Yep, that's why I was waiting so long. It didn't ship on May 1st, but 3 weeks later on the 22nd. So shipping from England to Middle Tennessee took only 9 days. So shipping just over a week. Getting it shipped 3 weeks longer than expected. I have no problem waiting but I would have appreciated more accurate info so that I don't think my brush is lost in the post.

After all the waiting here she is...

[Image: gaLnVeD.jpg]

[Image: N8eWOYt.jpg]

[Image: 8Lbugrq.jpg]

I can't wait to do some test lathers tonight & have her maiden voyage in the morning.

I don't mean this post to be negative in any way. I just wanted to share my experience so others can see how long this process can take & why. Lee was always very kind and helpful in all of his emails.

31 7,914
 05-31-2013, 11:30 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
The L7 looks beautiful in butterscotch, Brian!

I'm confident you will enjoy this brush ... I look forward to hearing your thoughts in the next few days. Smile

102 17,669
 05-31-2013, 11:37 AM
User Info
It's a beauty!

31 1,800
 05-31-2013, 11:51 AM
User Info
That's a beauty alright!

7 1,179
 05-31-2013, 12:12 PM
User Info
Beautiful brush.

I've seen a similar one somewhere, but can't put my finger on it......oh right, I own an identical handle and spec'd one. Wink

Actually, mine is up for use tomorrow for a week.

I look forward to reading your thoughts on the brush performance.

You are in for a treat.

8 2,718
 05-31-2013, 06:49 PM
User Info
Beautiful M&F Brian, they really are wonderful brushes and I am sure you will enjoy yours. They are worth the wait...

63 2,128
 05-31-2013, 07:18 PM
User Info
First impressions now that I can really inspect it some. I'm about to test lather it so still no thoughts on performance or feel really just yet.

Handle: great weight to it and of course the wonderful ergonomics which the M7 profile provides. It's a bit smaller than I anticipated. My Scarlett Elite7 pictures with it above is a similar sized knot with a more substantial handle. So while this currently feels small in hand I am sure that I'll quickly get accustomed to it.

Knot: There is a small glue bump noticed. It is what it is. Not my favorite, but not a deal breaker either. This brush will have more scritch to it than my WSP knots just by all of the all black inclusions throughout the knot. I hope they don't bring too much prickle for my face.

31 7,914
 05-31-2013, 08:22 PM
User Info
Some prebloom shots before the test lathers, some of the lather produced, and a *7 family photo. Tonight's events feature the new BDF Mistero.

A splash of Butterscotch!
[Image: YyfCQ79.jpg]

PreBloom
[Image: nuOtGzL.jpg]

Latherliscious
[Image: gvHg638.jpg]

PostBloom
[Image: 9zbuZEd.jpg]

My *7 Family (Elite7 XL, Lee7, Elite7)
[Image: sdOAcjG.jpg]

[Image: 0lECWAq.jpg]

[Image: 27PUtAW.jpg]

31 7,914
 05-31-2013, 08:56 PM
User Info
Great looking brush, Brian! i hope you enjoy it!

75 20,883
 05-31-2013, 11:35 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Beautiful brush Brian!

45 3,955
 06-01-2013, 12:27 AM
User Info
Brian, the wait was worth it........ Enjoy great photographs

Charles U.K

0 2,339
 06-01-2013, 08:25 AM
User Info
Well good morning prickly scritch. It's been awhile since we've hung out. This Blonde Badger knot certainly has some prickle & scritch to it. The knot itself isn't loaded with backbone as it splays nicely. However, if it had twice as many all black inclusions & less splay, then I'd be pretty sure that this hair is very similar to the Semogue 2-band badger hair. Fortunately I was shaving 2 days of growth so it wasn't too rough for me out of the gate. I am hoping that the tips soften a good bit more though. I'm so used to good backbone & zero prickle from my WSP knots that I'm not sure that I'll want to use this one often if it stays this prickly. The handle felt great in hand with superb balance and weight. I love the look of it & I certainly hope that I can love the knot as well as I use it a bit more. I see quite a few more test lathers in its near future.

31 7,914
 06-01-2013, 09:02 AM
User Info
Thanks for sharing, Brian, and wish you the best with the break-in process.

47 1,270
 06-01-2013, 10:17 AM
User Info
Brian, i sure hope it softens up a bit for you. i think it may as the older one i have is very similar to my new WSP Stubby knots, but the lower loft of 48mm causes it to have a bit more "scrub/scritch".
Good luck.

75 20,883
 06-01-2013, 07:26 PM
User Info
Lots of test lathers tonight. There is zero doubt that this brush performs splendidly. I easily created gobs & gobs of lather. Needless to say I had quite a bit of fun. I mean, who doesn't love to see lather flying all around the bathroom, right?!

With this extra use I could really pay attention to how the tips felt on my hand and unfortunately I'm not seeing this one soften up much down the road but I will give it some time. I also noticed how small the handle felt in my hand. I think I'm just spoiled by my Elite7 handles which are either a bit bigger to a lot bigger.

31 7,914
 06-01-2013, 07:33 PM
User Info
^ it's my understanding the L7 comes in 2 different sizes....don't quote me on the sizes though, it may be 25mm and under for small

1 for the 24mm and under (smaller handle)
1 for the 25mm and over (larger handle)

Mine is the smaller sized handle and I've very happy with it, it may just take some time to get used to the smaller sized compared to your other handles.

8 2,718
 06-01-2013, 07:37 PM
User Info
Bruce, I'm sure you're quite right & I don't think the brush is too small to hold & work with. It's certainly no shavemac beehive. Winky

However, with my E7 brushes being a good bit bigger, I'm just more accustomed to this. I'll gladly get used to the handle size if I can get along with the knot.

Time will tell & I really hope these tips soften some. Darn this sensitive skin. Biggrin

31 7,914
 06-01-2013, 07:39 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(06-01-2013, 07:33 PM)Bruce Wrote: ^ it's my understanding the L7 comes in 2 different sizes....don't quote me on the sizes though, it may be 25mm and under for small

1 for the 24mm and under (smaller handle)
1 for the 25mm and over (larger handle)

Mine is the smaller sized handle and I've very happy with it, it may just take some time to get used to the smaller sized compared to your other handles.

That is correct. You can even ask Lee to stick a smaller knot in larger handle but it doesn't look as good as larger knots.

88 4,233
 06-02-2013, 03:56 AM
User Info
I had the same experience with my M&F 2 band. Beautiful imitation bone L7 handle with a 24/50mm knot. However, the tips were too scritchy for me and I eventually let her go because of that...
(06-01-2013, 07:26 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Lots of test lathers tonight. There is zero doubt that this brush performs splendidly. I easily created gobs & gobs of lather. Needless to say I had quite a bit of fun. I mean, who doesn't love to see lather flying all around the bathroom, right?!

With this extra use I could really pay attention to how the tips felt on my hand and unfortunately I'm not seeing this one soften up much down the road but I will give it some time. I also noticed how small the handle felt in my hand. I think I'm just spoiled by my Elite7 handles which are either a bit bigger to a lot bigger.

31 1,554