04-11-2012, 11:48 PM
User Info
This review is for Krampert's Finest Acadian Spice Bay Rum aftershave. I like the bay rum scent and was looking for a good bay rum. Brian Krampert sent me a sample, which I have been using for my daily shaves for the last week.

The sample came in a brown plastic bottle with a flip-top cap. This dispenses the aftershave in a regulated manner and is convenient to open and close. There is oil in the aftershave that separates out and floats to the top. There is also a little sediment at the bottom of the bottle, so this aftershave should be shaken well before using. Tiny bits of reddish sediment are then suspended in the aftershave, but vanish once it is applied to the skin.

Scent:

The scent is a warm, spicy, bay rum, without the strong clove note found in some bay rum aftershaves. There are those women who dislike smell of cloves, so this can be quite important. It seems to be a pure, high quality bay rum aroma. The scent lasts for about 30-45 minutes - not too strong, not too light, just right as far as I am concerned. This stuff smells fantastic!

Skincare:

Krampert's Finest has remarkably good skincare. It leaves my face sticky immediately after it is applied. The stickiness completely disappears after about 10-20 seconds, though, and leaves my face feeling great. I have somewhat oily skin, and appreciate that Krampert's moisturizes without the greasy feel left by some aftershave balms.

When testing this aftershave, I deliberately used a blade that gives me close but somewhat irritating shaves (Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum black label). If anything will make an aftershave sting, it is an irritating shave. Kind of an unfair test, but I wanted to see how good the skincare really was. It was really good. Although this is an alcohol-based aftershave, there was no stinging or burning at all. For my shave this evening, I switched to a Timor blade. It gives me even closer shaves, but with only very minor irritation. Using Krampert's afterward eliminated that wee bit of irritation and made an excellent shave one that was fantastic. This is why I turned to traditional wetshaving!

I used Krampert's after shaving with Mike's Natural soap, an Arko shave stick and Art of Shaving cream. Different soaps can contribute (or not) in varying degrees to skincare, and I wanted to see how this aftershave worked with each one. On each occasion, my face felt very good afterwards. Once I tried using an alum block, and then rinsing my face with cold water before applying the aftershave. The skincare effect felt somewhat different due to the astringency of the alum block, but the two made a good combination. The Krampert's also stopped the minor stinging caused by the alum block.

Price/value for the money:

Brian cannot currently sell his aftershave outside of Maine, and sent my sample free of charge. For that reason, I cannot comment on the price or value for the money. If this aftershave were priced in the range of other high-end bay rums, I would consider it to be a very good bargain.

Would I buy again:

I did not buy the sample, but will buy the regular size when it becomes available. As I understand it, this aftershave will be reformulated to use a different alcohol so it can also be sold outside of Maine. This one is most definitely a keeper.

0 303
 04-12-2012, 03:27 AM
User Info
Great review & it mirrors my experiences as well.

31 7,914
 04-13-2012, 01:27 PM
User Info
Quick update... I completed the first reformulation today and if the rum contributes anything at all to the mix, my nose doesn't detect it, so the 1st reformulation with neutral spirits was a success. I washed off this mornings KF menthol (don't even ask about the menthol! Wink) and applied the new reformulation and I don't detect one scintilla of difference from the old bay rum; not in the bottle, not in the formulation, not after it dries, not in the protection or care for the skin. Everything that was written about the "real stuff" is the same for Reform' #1.

I put together another one (Reform #2) using pharmaceutical isopropyl today. It takes 2 weeks before it's ready and I won't/can't hurry the process. It takes time, that's the way it is.

But it looks very promising. If Reform' #2 works I'll go for the gusto with a production run or two.

So I am working on it.

BTW, everything is "off the shelf" with the reformulation with no regulated products, taxes, or anything else, so ATF can't possibly have a problem with it. So it could be as close as a month from availability. Of course I'll have teething problems, that's to be expected. One advantage to the reformulation is that I don't need to use Bitrex. For those who don't know, drinking alcohol needs to be made unfit for consumption (unless tax is charged) and Bitrex and Butanol added to the mix does that by federal regulation (I've been unable to obtain Butanol unless I buy a railcar of it). Bitrex is the bitterest substance known to man. By adding it to the BR your lady would get a terrible taste in her mouth if she kissed you on the cheek. The reformulation with over the pharmaceutical counter alcohol removes the need for Bitrex and makes me really happy too. I hated to so much as open the lid on the Bitrex jar and wash thoroughly afterwards. It required that I wear gas mask type breathing protection, not dusk mask, gas mask. No More Bitrex... Yay! BTW, I had to weigh it out to the 1/70,000th of an ounce. It's that potent.

What all of this means to you... When I was first testing my BR locally I gave a sample to a lady where it's retailed locally. After a week or so I returned and asked her how her husband liked it. She replied, "It's delicious.". She said it with a blush. I didn't press it. Todays KF BR would definitely not be delicious because of regulations that I was never happy with but tried to comply with. The refomulation will allow your lady to get as close as she wishes and still proclaim it delicious since it will no longer contain Bitrex.

In this case federal regulations backfired and will actually make for a better product and remove federal controls. (we need a flip 'em the bird smilie) Since the rum actually does nothing for the final product I'm considering removing the rum from all formulas and making it 100% non-rum based. I hope my excitement about all of this is evident. Frankly,I'm ecstatic! I'm retired and all of this was taking on nightmare visions, titanic in size, and it was hitting the iceberg!

I'll keep everyone posted. Right now it looks to be quite close. Light at the end of the tunnel and all that stuff. It's just a matter of time.

32 6,309
 04-13-2012, 01:33 PM
User Info
(04-13-2012, 01:27 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Quick update... I completed the first reformulation today and if the rum contributes anything at all to the mix, my nose doesn't detect it, so the 1st reformulation with neutral spirits was a success. I washed off this mornings KF menthol (don't even ask about the menthol! Wink) and applied the new reformulation and I don't detect one scintilla of difference from the old bay rum; not in the bottle, not in the formulation, not after it dries, not in the protection or care for the skin. Everything that was written about the "real stuff" is the same for Reform' #1.

I put together another one (Reform #2) using pharmaceutical isopropyl today. It takes 2 weeks before it's ready and I won't/can't hurry the process. It takes time, that's the way it is.

But it looks very promising. If Reform' #2 works I'll go for the gusto with a production run.

So I am working on it.

BTW, everything is "off the shelf" so ATF can't possibly have a problem with it. So it could be as close as a month from availability.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Babeando Babeando Aaaaa Babeando Babeando Bow Babeando Babeando Clap

31 7,914
 04-13-2012, 09:58 PM
User Info
(04-13-2012, 01:27 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Quick update... I completed the first reformulation today and if the rum contributes anything at all to the mix, my nose doesn't detect it, so the 1st reformulation with neutral spirits was a success. I washed off this mornings KF menthol (don't even ask about the menthol! Wink) and applied the new reformulation and I don't detect one scintilla of difference from the old bay rum; not in the bottle, not in the formulation, not after it dries, not in the protection or care for the skin. Everything that was written about the "real stuff" is the same for Reform' #1.

But it looks very promising. If Reform' #2 works I'll go for the gusto with a production run or two.

So I am working on it.

BTW, everything is "off the shelf" with the reformulation with no regulated products, taxes, or anything else, so ATF can't possibly have a problem with it. So it could be as close as a month from availability. Of course I'll have teething problems, that's to be expected. One advantage to the reformulation is that I don't need to use Bitrex. For those who don't know, drinking alcohol needs to be made unfit for consumption (unless tax is charged) and Bitrex and Butanol added to the mix does that by federal regulation (I've been unable to obtain Butanol unless I buy a railcar of it). Bitrex is the bitterest substance known to man. By adding it to the BR your lady would get a terrible taste in her mouth if she kissed you on the cheek. The reformulation with over the pharmaceutical counter alcohol removes the need for Bitrex and makes me really happy too. I hated to so much as open the lid on the Bitrex jar and wash thoroughly afterwards. It required that I wear gas mask type breathing protection, not dusk mask, gas mask. No More Bitrex... Yay! BTW, I had to weigh it out to the 1/70,000th of an ounce. It's that potent.

What all of this means to you... When I was first testing my BR locally I gave a sample to a lady where it's retailed locally. After a week or so I returned and asked her how her husband liked it. She replied, "It's delicious.". She said it with a blush. I didn't press it. Todays KF BR would definitely not be delicious because of regulations that I was never happy with but tried to comply with. The refomulation will allow your lady to get as close as she wishes and still proclaim it delicious since it will no longer contain Bitrex.

In this case federal regulations backfired and will actually make for a better product and remove federal controls. (we need a flip 'em the bird smilie) Since the rum actually does nothing for the final product I'm considering removing the rum from all formulas and making it 100% non-rum based. I hope my excitement about all of this is evident. Frankly,I'm ecstatic! I'm retired and all of this was taking on nightmare visions, titanic in size, and it was hitting the iceberg!

I'll keep everyone posted. Right now it looks to be quite close. Light at the end of the tunnel and all that stuff. It's just a matter of time.

YES!!! I've been jonesin' to try your mix for months. I can't wait.

9 1,199
 04-14-2012, 05:36 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
This is great stuff. I have the sample bottle and have been using it sparingly until regular production is available. Now I see it might sooner then later. This is great news.

100 12,445
 04-16-2012, 04:29 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
This is superior stuff. I've become so accustomed to using it every day. The thought of a shave without it.........Huh

I'm glad it's coming along Brian. I look forward to the day that I can use it with abandon!

6 905
 04-16-2012, 05:22 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I can echo all the praises on this fine product. I do not like Bay Rum, but I really like "this" Bay Rum. It really conditions your skin.

Thanks for that sample Brian. Will order a full bottle once your final reformulation is ready.

173 23,546
 04-18-2012, 10:44 AM
User Info

So I am working on it.

Boy, those hassles you have had to go through to reformulate are ridiculous!

The name of your aftershave caught my attention because I'm from Cajun (Acadian) country in South Louisiana. The native population here originated in Acadia Nova Scotia and migrated here in the 1700s.

In fact, the University of Louisiana is nicknamed the "Ragin' Cajuns."

0 282
 04-18-2012, 07:07 PM
User Info
(04-18-2012, 10:44 AM)CaliforniaCajun Wrote: The name of your aftershave caught my attention because I'm from Cajun (Acadian) country in South Louisiana. The native population here originated in Acadia Nova Scotia and migrated here in the 1700s.

In fact, the University of Louisiana is nicknamed the "Ragin' Cajuns."

You are the first to comment on that connection.

Yes, the Acadians were also on the Maine Coast. The area near and around Mt Desert Island is know as Acadia. That's where the Acadians were (in Maine) before they left to go to Louisiana. I think the British might have convinced them to leave through violence, but I don't remember that 100%.

Anyone familiar with the Maine coast knows we still have tall ships plying the waters (not many though) and it's sailing paradise. Maine has as much coastline as the rest of the states combined. There are municipal wharfs to tie to and plenty of sheltered waters. Basically the coast is still very much connected to the sea and caters to it.

I named it Acadian Spice to harken back to sail and the first use of bay rum, and Acadia is one of my favorite places on the planet. The mountains go down to the sea, and the smell of the pines and the salt water combine into an ambrosia that must be experienced to be believed. In fact, the only true fjord in the lower 48 is Somes Sound on Mt Desert Island (so I've heard). The entire island is quite magnificent, not just the national park. Heck, the maine coast is just fantastic. We've been here for over 30 years and I'm still quite in love with it, just in case you can't tell.

32 6,309
 04-18-2012, 08:34 PM
User Info
Brian -

Is what I received today in the SWT package the reformulation?

Mark

0 48
 04-18-2012, 08:46 PM
User Info
No, not the reformulation. That's the original formula.

32 6,309
 04-18-2012, 10:26 PM
User Info
(04-16-2012, 04:29 AM)EHV Wrote: This is superior stuff. I've become so accustomed to using it every day. The thought of a shave without it.........Huh

I agree 100 percent. It is very easy to get accustomed to this aftershave. After putting it on in the morning, I just feel so happy and relaxed. Smile

0 303
 04-28-2012, 11:04 AM
User Info
Update:

Reformulation is complete. I completed the final reformulation this morning and you won't have any complaints with this reformulation of the original. Just the opposite in fact.

One of the points about the bay rum has never been the scent directly from the bottle and if anything that might be even worse with the reformulation. One of the really neat things IMO was the way it morphs after being put on the skin. There is no change there. Same morphing effect as it hits the skin and dries.

Everything else is the same as the original formula, moisturizer package, scent, but one huge change is the removal of the Bitrex. I hated to add it and now it's gone. Yay! Aaaaa Your significant other will be able to kiss you and not get a terrible taste. And if you get it on the lips you won't get the bitter taste either.

I still don't suggest drinking it. Isopropyl alcohol isn't drinkable.

Sales still aren't open, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Some changes need to made to the website, and I need to get product made and lots of other things accomplished. It takes 2 weeks to make a batch, so don't look for it before that, and maybe a week or so more. Maybe.

But it's coming along.

I'll announce it in the vendor section when sales open up. Initially it'll only be available from the website.

32 6,309
 04-28-2012, 11:19 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Brian, this is good news. It's funny you mentioned it, but last week just afer applying some product my wife did give me a kiss on the cheek. She said you sure smell good, but you taste like #@&T.

173 23,546
 04-28-2012, 11:56 AM
User Info
Congrats Brian.

31 7,914
 04-28-2012, 03:17 PM
User Info
Great news, Brian. I'm anxious.

9 1,199
 04-30-2012, 10:12 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Excellent. I look forward to being able to try it.

10 1,858
 04-30-2012, 10:22 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
I have also received a sample. I really enjoy the product.
It feels good on my face after a shave. Plus it smells awesome.

Brain, you have a hit home run with your product. Can not to purchase a bottle.

1 3,507