06-02-2013, 01:38 AM
User Info
Howay Freddy, keep us informed as to how Edinburgh is.
Sam.

0 79
 06-02-2013, 11:49 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Hi Sam. I'm actually staying in Dunfermline and except for flying into Edinburgh haven't been there yet. I have been to Glasgow, though. I think my friend and I may be in Stirling and Dunblane tomorrow. So far, the weather has been fine.

By the way, Sam, I saw a packet of crisps that were said to be Haggis and black pepper flavored so I got them. Mega disappointing. They tasted just like regular crisps, nothing more. Sad

2 11,211
 06-02-2013, 02:42 PM
User Info
Enjoy your stay Freddy,the Scots will ALWAYS make you feel welcome,they would LOVE to be Geordies really,actually joking aside I think the Scots "folk" have a lot of time for us Geordies compared to other "sasanachs".
Sam.

0 79
 06-02-2013, 03:33 PM
User Info
(06-02-2013, 11:49 AM)freddy Wrote: Hi Sam. I'm actually staying in Dunfermline and except for flying into Edinburgh haven't been there yet. I have been to Glasgow, though. I think my friend and I may be in Stirling and Dunblane tomorrow. So far, the weather has been fine.

By the way, Sam, I saw a packet of crisps that were said to be Haggis and black pepper flavored so I got them. Mega disappointing. They tasted just like regular crisps, nothing more. Sad

Very envious of you Freddy. My grandfather on my mother's side and his two sisters were from the Whiteinch section of Glasgow and my wife's Dad's ancestors are our of Dunfermline, birthplace of Andrew Carnegie (not related to my wife).

I've been to London a few times, York once and Swansea and Cardiff, but have not made it to Scotland yet.

Now that I've had the pleasure of reading Geordie Sams's enthusiastic posts, Newcastle, aside from being the birthplace of the fine Brown ale, is not that far from Scotland.

3 452
 06-02-2013, 03:49 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Freddy , enjoy your time in good old , Scotland.Lucky you , sir !

86 7,123
 06-02-2013, 04:26 PM
  • Lradke
  • Edmonton, Alberta
User Info
Glad you could check in Freddy! Enjoy the trip! Biggrin

1 608
 06-03-2013, 12:42 AM
  • freddy
User Info
Thanks folks. As always, I'm having a great time and as Sam says, the Scots are wonderful. One of these days I must make it back to Newcastle, also.

Robert, I am staying with a friend who lives just down the street from both the Andrew Carnegie Birthplace Museum and Dunfermline Abbey so I am most fortunate.

2 11,211
 06-03-2013, 02:37 AM
User Info
Thanks for that Robert,apart from Brown Ale,Newcastle's other luminaries include Sting,Ridley and Tony Scott,Eric Burdon,Chas Chandler,Hank Marvin,Brian Johnson(AC/DC), Bryan Ferry,Kevin Whately,Alan Shearer,Neil Tennent,Rowan Atkinson,and not forgetting ME.
Geordie Sam.

0 79
 06-03-2013, 08:16 AM
User Info
Freddy,as you probably know there are 2 football teams in Glasgow of any merit,Glasgow Celtic,and Glasgow Rangers.
In my capacity as a Football (yes Football)fan I support 3 teams,first my beloved Newcastle United,secondly my beloved Glasgow Celtic,and thirdly whoever happens to be playing Glasgow Rangers.
Geordie Sam.

0 79
 06-03-2013, 11:44 AM
  • freddy
User Info
Edinburgh... Hearts and Hibs. Now how the heck did I know that? I dislike most professional sports. (Everyone knows Celtic and Rangers, a competition that borders on mental which accounts for my utter disdain of pro sports of any kind and in any country, especially mine.)

2 11,211
 06-03-2013, 03:18 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Have a super trip, have fun exploring.

1 3,507
 06-03-2013, 04:28 PM
  • MickToley
  • Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a shave soap addict
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
Enjoy Scotland, Freddy. Have you had any good tea yet?

10 1,120
 06-04-2013, 03:12 AM
  • freddy
User Info
(06-03-2013, 03:18 PM)Howler Wrote: Have a super trip, have fun exploring.

Hi Brad. So far we've stayed locally, going no further than Glasgow. However, the weather has really been co-operating so it has been great for walking.

(06-03-2013, 04:28 PM)MickToley Wrote: Enjoy Scotland, Freddy. Have you had any good tea yet?

Hi Mike. Believe it or not, it has been coffee and not tea. There is a coffee chain here called Caffe Nero with delicious coffee and a Sicilian Lemon Cheesecake that is incredible so tea has sort of taken a back seat. Sad

2 11,211
 06-04-2013, 05:06 AM
  • freddy
User Info
Here are some photos of my friend's back garden, the street where she lives, and a nearby street. Being a big city boy, this makes for a very nice change. Smile

[Image: jLdrRsg.jpg] [Image: 8bpTsSH.jpg]

[Image: 07cI40s.jpg] [Image: e9ZuZt9.jpg]

[Image: 7VM8riR.jpg] [Image: E1peHEN.jpg]

2 11,211
 06-04-2013, 05:11 AM
  • freddy
User Info
Dinner last night was traditional Haggis and clapshot, all washed down with an Irn-Bru. Yum! Smile

[Image: gHwju24.jpg] [Image: uupodPs.jpg]

[Image: F3NpJVK.jpg]

2 11,211
 06-04-2013, 05:38 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Great pictures Freddy. I love your friends backyard and garden. This looks like the type of place I would enjoy living.

I don't know about the food though. Biggrin

173 23,486
 06-04-2013, 05:45 AM
  • MickToley
  • Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a shave soap addict
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
Nice photos, Freddy. That lemon cheesecake sounds nice.

10 1,120
 06-04-2013, 06:15 AM
  • freddy
User Info
(06-04-2013, 05:38 AM)Johnny Wrote: Great pictures Freddy. I love your friends backyard and garden. This looks like the type of place I would enjoy living.

I don't know about the food though. Biggrin

Johnny, you are absolutely hopeless when it comes to Haggis 24 but you might actually like clapshot. If you like mashed potatoes then clapshot is nothing more than boiled potatoes and boiled turnip being mashed together. The turnip gives the potato a slightly sweet taste. Smile

(06-04-2013, 05:45 AM)MickToley Wrote: Nice photos, Freddy. That lemon cheesecake sounds nice.

Mike, trust me, that cheesecake isn't nice, it is delicious! Every time we go to Caffe Nero, we each get a slice. I've only been here since Friday and I've already had three slices! Rolleyes

2 11,211
 06-04-2013, 07:46 AM
User Info
Even the Haggis looks yummy.
In northern/central Portugal there's a traditional dish that is very much haggis-alike Tongue

2 5,527
 06-04-2013, 08:21 AM
User Info
Freddy,you and I both know Haggis is wonderful stuff,just don't tell anybody on here what SOME of the ingredients are,otherwise they wouldn't believe you.
You should look for a job on Time magazine as a photographer with the quality of those snaps.Your friends garden looks VERY close to how mine looks,very close indeed.
Keep reports coming from the front line.
Sam.
ps.Freddy,as I'm sure your aware, there's lots of "generic" versions of "irn bru" available,and to my taste buds they are just as good, and a damn sight cheaper than the original Barr's irn bru.

0 79