06-02-2013, 10:15 AM
  • Fab
  • New York, NY
User Info
Hi Guys,

I got an email from L'Occitane for father days deals. I saw this Plisson synthetic brush there. Have never seen or heard about it.
Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about this brush? The handle looks pretty.

http://usa.loccitane.com/cade-shaving-br...388683.htm

10 486
 06-02-2013, 12:24 PM
User Info
Interesting. They don't write much about it do they?

32 6,309
 06-03-2013, 04:47 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
That's a new on to me.

173 23,538
 06-03-2013, 04:51 AM
User Info
Looks interesting. I like synths, but I already have two Muhles and won't be buying more.

0 64
 06-03-2013, 12:58 PM
User Info
Hmm... to make the drive or not to...

0 652
 06-03-2013, 04:45 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Looks like a The Body Shop brush with a Plisson handle (sticker)...not very promising at all.

86 7,123
 06-04-2013, 04:15 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Well it's a bargain compared to the UK store...

http://uk.loccitane.com/plisson-shaving-...388864.htm

(It's 75 pounds for UK customers!)

91 17,851
 06-04-2013, 04:32 AM
  • Fab
  • New York, NY
User Info
It is interesting. Maybe the first Plisson synthetic ever released? Anyone living close to a L'occitane store to check it out? I may go to one this weekend.
It shouldn't be too bad, or do you think Plisson would put its name on a poor brush?

10 486
 06-04-2013, 12:42 PM
User Info
A positive review on the french forum with plenty of pictures.

It seems that L'occitane has ordered 10 000 brushes to Plisson. The price is 41€ in France.

0 42
 06-04-2013, 02:22 PM
User Info
Certainly doesn't look to be the latest generation of synthetic fibers. I'll be sticking with Muhle.

30 275
 06-04-2013, 04:09 PM
  • Fab
  • New York, NY
User Info
(06-04-2013, 12:42 PM)intravenus de milo Wrote: A positive review on the french forum with plenty of pictures.

It seems that L'occitane has ordered 10 000 brushes to Plisson. The price is 41€ in France.
Thanks for posting the review link. Hands on and facts are always better than assumptions Smile
May be worth a try.

10 486
 06-04-2013, 04:33 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
If I liked synthetics, I'd be sure to give it a try...

91 17,851
 06-04-2013, 11:46 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(06-04-2013, 04:09 PM)Fab Wrote:
(06-04-2013, 12:42 PM)intravenus de milo Wrote: A positive review on the french forum with plenty of pictures.

Thanks for posting the review link. Hands on and facts are always better than assumptions Smile
May be worth a try.

What facts , my friend ? That is good to bowl lathering with it ? Yeah , it seems it is , but the FS synthetic or the Kent silvertex too , and cost less than the Plisson...But I want to know how good performs with facelathering with circular movements , and it seems , by reading the review , that the gentleman who wrote it , haven't tried it that way.This is where I know if the brush performs like a champ or play on a second league.Understand that Im a face latherer and so far I havent found any synthetic brush , and have tried quiet a few , which outperforms the Muhle Silvertip Fibre V 1 and V 2 with facelathering with circular strokes.However some are very close in performance , like the Omega ones , and I would like to know if this is close too , but I truly doubt it.

I appreciate that review in French , specially the pics , since they reveal what I was suspecting. Anyway , to each its own , and if you like Plisson and bowl lathering , you have a winner there , no doubt about it.

86 7,123
 06-05-2013, 03:21 AM
  • Fab
  • New York, NY
User Info
(06-04-2013, 11:46 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(06-04-2013, 04:09 PM)Fab Wrote:

May be worth a try.

What facts , my friend ? That is good to bowl lathering with it ? Yeah , it seems it is , but the FS synthetic or the Kent silvertex too , and cost less than the Plisson...But I want to know how good performs with facelathering with circular movements , and it seems , by reading the review , that the gentleman who wrote it , haven't tried it that way.This is where I know if the brush performs like a champ or play on a second league.Understand that Im a face latherer and so far I havent found any synthetic brush , and have tried quiet a few , which outperforms the Muhle Silvertip Fibre V 1 and V 2 with facelathering with circular strokes.However some are very close in performance , like the Omega ones , and I would like to know if this is close too , but I truly doubt it.

I appreciate that review in French , specially the pics , since they reveal what I was suspecting. Anyway , to each its own , and if you like Plisson and bowl lathering , you have a winner there , no doubt about it.
You've said it all. To each its own. Wink
At least with that review it is additional valuable information which we didn't have before. One step forward to make an informative decision.

10 486
 06-05-2013, 09:35 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(06-05-2013, 03:21 AM)Fab Wrote:
(06-04-2013, 11:46 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(06-04-2013, 04:09 PM)Fab Wrote: Thanks for posting the review link. Hands on and facts are always better than assumptions Smile
May be worth a try.

You've said it all. To each its own. Wink
At least with that review it is additional valuable information which we didn't have before. One step forward to make an informative decision.

Fab , if you finally get it , I will look forward to read your impressions of it.Thanks my friend !

86 7,123
 06-05-2013, 10:26 AM
  • Dino
  • St Helens, England
User Info
(06-04-2013, 04:15 AM)ben74 Wrote: Well it's a bargain compared to the UK store...

http://uk.loccitane.com/plisson-shaving-...388864.htm

(It's 75 pounds for UK customers!)

WOW that is a big price difference.

1 68
 06-05-2013, 11:41 AM
  • Exapno
  • Northampton, England
User Info
After looking at the review photos my initial thoughts echo those of Teiste, it looks very much like the Body Shop brush with a nicer handle. I don't think the Body Shop brush had as much, if any crimping in the hair as the Plisson but it does look very similar. It's also similar to the current Omega synthetics.

At £75 I don't think I'll be purchasing it but I'm interested to hear a review from anyone who does. I can buy 2 or 3 Mühle Silvertip or Black fibre brushes for the price of a single Plisson synth and I already know that they perform outstandingly well.

0 132
 06-05-2013, 12:26 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Im so tempted to purchase one and try it out...gosh , I need to quiet the forums , when I thought that I had every shaving acquisition disorder under control....Sad

86 7,123
 06-05-2013, 02:23 PM
User Info
OK with a L'occitanne shop in town it was too tempting to go there and check out this brush. Then SBAD fatalitas, I eventually bought one.

It is basically a size 12 Plisson.

It is a very nice looking brush. The tips are brown colored in a way that matches the handle's taint with the last millimeter being white which thing gives nice silky white shades when one looks at the loft.

The hairs are really thin especially at the tips. More so than my Muhle fibre v1.Dry, they are extremely soft and they feel like a cat fur.

As Teiste pointed out, this kind of brush is very efficient at bowl lathering. The loft is rather long then it is not that practical to load over a puck of soap and one should rather hold the loft at mid size while loading.

I have tried it with :
-A palmolive stick FL
-TFS Tabacco verde FL
-Nanny silly soap bowl lathering

My only reference with the synthetic hair is my Muhle fibre travel brush V1.

For bowl lathering it is perfect. The synthetic hairs works wonder and produce loads of thick lather.
In paint stokes, the brush touch is more of a caress, very very soft.

Regarding FL, the brush works very well. With the stick it was easy and quick to produce the right lather. With the soap puck, it is a tad less convenient as the loading is not practical as I have already mentioned due to the rather tall loft.
While face lathering, the brush splays quite a lot. It looks and works kind like a Semogue 90% boar brush but with less backbone and no scritch at all. (I have used paint stokes, will try circular motion from the tips next time).

To me it has the same efficiency as the muhle v1 but it is softer on the face.

The main drawbacks of this kind of brush being :
-The loft does not hold lather. The brush tends to deliver all the lather on the face, so if you FL, you will have to reload for each pass.
That's why bowl lathering is better as one can produce all the lather he needs at start.
-No backbone at all and extreme softness. Kind of the opposite of a manchurian two band. So it works very well but gives none of the massage sensations we like from a dense badger brush.

0 42
 06-05-2013, 02:39 PM
  • Fab
  • New York, NY
User Info
Wow. Thanks for the very nice review. You beat me to it, I was going to check this out in person this weekend Smile
I feel responsible now, for tempting you to buy it. Smile
I like what you mentioned about it, being great for bowl lathering and working rather well at the face as well. Maybe not as well as a natural badger, but efficient enough.
My hands are trembling Smile oh no, my shaving acquisition disorder is acting out!

10 486