06-02-2013, 01:08 PM
User Info
My wife and i went to the Burlington Mall in Mass to look at pens. There is an Art of Shaving store in the mall. Naturally we had to go in there.

I was underwhelmed. Prices seemed very high. And I couldn't shake the sales guy who talked non-stop while we tried to browse.

They had lots of hardware. I was impressed with the brush selections. A smattering of DE razors. But again the prices seemed high.

I didn't buy anything!!
My wife asked if I was illBiggrin

On a positive note today was also my first ever visit to "The Cheesecake Factory". That I enjoyed.

7 363
 06-02-2013, 01:18 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
A trick to get the sales guy to leave is to ask a question that he doesn't know the answer to, wait for him to make it up to save face, shutter his confidence with correct answer Biggrin

88 4,233
 06-02-2013, 01:35 PM
User Info
Steve, I really want to walk in there with a custom brush & start a lather clinic. The demo I received on my one visit was horrendous. But I did leave with a small sampler box free of charge. The other thing that bothered me were their changes to the razor names, like Futura instead of Futur. There were others that I've already forgotten. BlushWinky

31 7,892
 06-02-2013, 01:58 PM
User Info
Just like any big chain store there are a few employees who actually take the time to learn about the products that they sell and a bunch who do not. Their gear is way overpriced with the possible exception of their shave cream, but it's priced that way because people buy it. Most of their stores are happy to give out free samples and it's always nice to smell creams and soaps and to be able to handle products before you buy them...somewhere else. They're not a bad company, just a poorly managed one. You also have to keep in mind that their target audience consists of folks buying gifts for someone else or folks with far too little information.

Sent from my Transformer using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

6 327
 06-02-2013, 02:02 PM
User Info
(fwiw: first post here on the SN...hello everybody)

The Art of Shaving Stores are mostly geared towards the uninitiated. That is the reason their sales staff seem like cult religion recruiters, they assume they'll have your ear for a limited time and they want to make best of it, as far as a sales opportunity goes. They are expensive but for people who know no better, I guess they figure 'no harm, no foul.' Besides, the locations that they occupy are far from low rent. I've been in a few and instead of chasing the salespeople off, I start talking about my experience(s) with wet shaving and so far, most have been more than receptive, almost thankful for any insight I can shed on my experiences, or at least the ones that they may be interested in.

In the grand scheme of things, The Art of Shaving is probably the biggest reason traditional wet shaving has begun to see such a resurgence. They are 'indoctrinating' a fair amount of people to the concept and for some, after that initial introduction, they go merrily on their way and on to broader horizons after finding the other and vast 'internet world.'

I've been a wet shaver for over 30 years now and for most of those years needed to resort to calling Taylor of Bond or Geo Trumper in London to have them 'Royal Post' things to me (pre-internet days). With the proliferation of the internet as well as an increased interest and demand for shaving products, of course it's a whole different story now. As it is now, for the most part when I'm trying a new item, I'm doing it 'in the blind,' perhaps based upon reviews or prior brand preferences, but to be able to go into a brick and mortar like The Art of Shaving and be able to smell and see the offerings, there is a value to that and that value unfortunately does come with a price.

I for one am happy that The Art of Shaving has made such a commitment to this 'new world' of shaving because it has made it possible for many internet companies to begin, grow, and thrive which, in turn, has allowed all of us a vast increase in our choices and experiences.

0 22
 06-03-2013, 06:39 PM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
Very well said, Damon.

And welcome to TSN, you'll love it here!

13 599
 06-04-2013, 01:04 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I have to concur that Damon said it well.

The Art of Shaving originally started out as a Small Business and it was eventually sold to Gillette.

So knowing that let's you know why they carry 4 Scents and the Soap/Cream/Balm/Oil and why they have a lot of Gillette Razors.

I went there a couple of times looking to see what they had and just told the Sales People that I was looking to see what they had.

Some of it is expensive some of it was reasonably priced but, I wanted to know what they had to add to my shaving experience.

Now some say that I can be Grumpy (and I do not know why) but, the sales people left me alone. But, it might be the fact that I said that I am just looking and seeing what they got and if I had any questions I would let them know.

They had the Gillette Razors, the Straight Razor, and the other shaving products.

I ended up buying the sample kit, finished the cream and balm, gave the small badger brush to my Son (He is 16.).

There are two near where I live so I will have to go and visit them again and see if they have anything else.

One time they were going to do a Straight Razor Shaving Demo but, I was not able to attend.

I assume that they are still owned by Gillette but, it has been a while since I read that article. So the commitment that AOS has made to this "new world" of shaving was true when the company started and now the commitment is the one that is put out by Gillette.

1 819
 06-08-2013, 09:05 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
I wish there was an AOS store close to me, but since the have discontinued their tallow soaps, I don't know if I would use any of their other products.

15 970