06-03-2013, 08:33 AM
User Info
Hello i recently started wet shaving and so far only tried VDH's soap therefor I were wondering what the pros/cons are for cream and soap. Also i would appreciate if you could give me some tips of cheap but still good brands.

Thanks in advance.

0 6
 06-03-2013, 08:37 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
There are many many soaps and creams that are inexpensive and quality, there is no BEST though, it's whatever works for you.
For starters look into inexpensive shave sticks like Palmolive and La Toja, Klar Kabinett soap (if you're into Rose scent), Proraso creams.
Good luck in your journey Smile

88 4,233
 06-03-2013, 08:49 AM
User Info
As Beartrap said... "best" is a very hard thing to nail down, double so when we're talking about lather.

Soaps I like on the other hand... well; Anything from Mike's Natural Soaps, Arko Cool Mint Cream, Arko Shaving Stick, Col Conk's Bay Rum, Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood Soap, Dalen d'Men Energetic Cream, Derby Lavender Cream, Derby Shaving Stick, GzD Shaving Stick, Lea Shaving Stick, Mama Bear Awakening soap, Mitchel's Wool Fat soap, Nivea Mild cream, Orange Essential Oil Shave Croap, Prairie Creations KISS cream, Prairie Creations Walter Shaving Soap, Proraso Eucalyptus and Menthol Cream, Proraso Eucalyptus and Menthol Soap, and RazoRock XXX Croap are all good soaps and creams and arguable the "best", depending on my mood when I use them.

Find what works for you.
Enjoy the journey.
Shaving is best when it is about the process, not the goal.

3 3,437
 06-03-2013, 09:39 AM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
If you want cheap performance - the Euro Palmolive and Arko sticks won't disappoint for the money.

29 466
 06-03-2013, 10:04 AM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
Lots of Good Choices.

Soap or Cream - Soap lasts longer and a little harder to lather.

Cream does not last as long and easier to lather.

I like them both.

Where to buy ... depends on where you are.

C.O. Bigelow a good cream at Bath and Body Works - 10 Bucks.

Real Shaving Company cream not a bad cream at Walgreens.

There are a couple of other store bought creams that you can buy if you have a store near you or you can always find lots of stuff on the internet.

1 819
 06-03-2013, 10:59 AM
  • Johnny
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Let me simplify this for you. Biggrin

Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat aka MWF

Cream: Speick Cream

173 23,286
 06-03-2013, 11:07 AM
  • Deano
  • Iowa
User Info
Like others have said, Arko shave stick and C.O. Bigelow are both great performers and are inexpensive. I also like the VDH soaps but understand you want some variety. Heck ive been enjoying Williams of late but its not as easy to lather as some.

7 898
 06-03-2013, 11:19 AM
  • Macko
  • Virginia
User Info
I have to agree with Johnny. Thanks for coming, don't forget to tip the waitstaff...

16 535
 06-03-2013, 11:43 AM
User Info
So many, so many. Neither hard soap, croap, or cream is best, as already written, it's what you prefer. I prefer soaps because of their longevity and I plan to begin using up the various creams I have on hand.

One difference is that creams are very easy to use plenty of product for great lather. Soaps may be more difficult.

The VDH (deluxe?) you may be using is pretty darn good. Work up an ultralather with it and there's none better for lather. The after the shave face feel is completely lacking though.

I'd spend some time looking through the SOTD section and in this section; read and discover what folks like. You can spend a lot or not so much. The inexpensive ones pretty much all give up any moisturizing effects for the skin, but many of them make great lather esp' if you learn to make ultralather. The middle priced soaps give the same great lather and step up a bit in after the shave skin feel.

The very best hard soaps/croaps/creams have it all; great lather and in many cases far superior lather, and great after the shave face feel.

32 6,301
 06-03-2013, 11:45 AM
User Info
My Top 5 soaps:
1. Martin de Candre Unscented
2. Martin de Candre Fougére
3. Martin de Candre Scented
4. I Coloniali Mango
5. DR Harris Arlington

My Top 5 creams:
1. Penhaligon Endymion
2. Floris 89
3. Acqua Di Parma Pot
4. Acca Kappa 1869 Pot (old version)
5. Castle Forbes Lavender

21 4,759
 06-03-2013, 11:45 AM
User Info
Ratax - welcome and good luck! I remember those heady days of first wanting to try everything! As for your question, ask twenty different members and you'll probably get twenty different answers.

First off what price range are you looking at? I assume by "cheap" you mean more "low price" than "bang for your buck" (for example, someone showed how Martin de Candre, which retails for $70 with shipping can outlast a soap like Williams, which retails from $2-$3).

The other line of inquiry is: what do you like about VDH? And what don't you like about it? What is your setup? What brush, what razor, and bowl-lather/face-lather, or other?

There are a ton of effective creams and soaps that can be had for less than $20, many for even less than $10. Personally, I've always felt that Proraso (which is sold under C.O. Bigelow both in their stores and Bath & Body Works) is a good one to have because just about everyone has used it at some time. It can be had for $11 or less if you get the C.O. Bigelow travel size.

72 1,405
 06-03-2013, 12:16 PM
User Info
"cheap but still good"

Kiss My Face Key Lime Moisture Shave, dirt cheap but holds it's own with the very best. Available at most whole food type stores; comes in for-leg-sized pump dispenser. Oh, and if you pumped some into a fancy jar, gave it an exotic Italian or French name, and charged $19/jar, people would go nuts over this. Call it Chaîne de Petites Iles Crème au Citron Vert.

Mikes Natural Shaving Soap, hard to find better. Will last a long time. Samples available which give you over a week or two of shaves.

And VDH is a very good inexpensive soap. Great for a good start in wetshaving.

Enjoy the journey.

3 285
 06-03-2013, 12:36 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Here is my list of inexpensive (cheap means something else to me) great performing soaps and creams, not in any order:

1. Taylor of Old Bond Street - any scent
2. Mike's
3. Crabtree and Evelyn Refills
4. Speick Soap or Cream
5. Arko
6. Erasmic
7. Salters Cream
8. Barbieri Di Figaro Soaps - Rafinatto is fantastic IMO
9. Pre de Provence
10 DR Harris Refills - Great long lasting soaps

This is my list based on longevity and ease of use. There are MANY other soaps and creams that you can try...Art of Shaving seems expensive, but lasts and lasts since only a very small amount is needed. I once use a Lemon pot staright through and got 2 months of twice a day shaves out of it so for the practical shaver a 4-month pot of daily shaves... that works out to only 20 cents per shave. I made two passes using an Astra SP blade.

If you have a Sephora Store you can get samples of any men's product they carry, including the AOS creams and balms etc. Go visit one and see what they have...their pricing is relatively good if you buy it from them depending on what state and tax situation you are in.

Another thing....Don't throw any of it away...there are members who may trade you for the items you don't like. You have to have a minimum post count, and time on the Nook, but I have gotten many a fine product through trades with other members here.

Good luck, and Welcome to the Shave Nook!

66 1,375
 06-04-2013, 05:33 AM
  • Dalejr
  • Nova Scotia, Canada
User Info
I'm a huge fan of the EJ creams, a little pricey for the size though.

1 49
 06-04-2013, 10:46 AM
User Info
just depends on what you like. I remember when I first started I wanted to try everything. still do, kind of. there are plenty of resources here and on the web. I just tried Arko shave stick and it is a great lather and very good.VDH is not bad either, I use it to shave AND bathe with. I tried Every Man Jack a bit ago and while at first was not crazy about it, I did get a real good shave. there is really a lot of great stuff out there for shaving. the fun part is finding what works for ya . you don't have to spend a lot either. maybe at first for razors and brushes, but it pays off quick when you look at the price for multi-blade refills that don't shave a 1/10 as good as a DE !!

0 189
 06-05-2013, 06:07 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Valobra shave stick. Use it as is or mill into a bowl. Trust me.

35 2,703
 06-06-2013, 01:08 AM
User Info
(06-05-2013, 06:07 PM)TexBilly Wrote: Valobra shave stick. Use it as is or mill into a bowl. Trust me.

You know, Valobra used to be my favorite stick period, then La Toja walked into my life and I haven't looked back. Its weird how my tastes change, it used to be Valobra and Palmolive were my favorites, now its La Toja and Speick.

0 652
 06-06-2013, 06:36 PM
User Info
Looks like Pandora's box is open Biggrin...I like to keep it simple- can't go wrong with good ole Proraso.

5 938
 06-06-2013, 07:48 PM
User Info
In my opinion

Soap: Martin de Candre (unscented)

Cream: O'Melhor (confiança)

10 605
 06-06-2013, 11:38 PM
User Info
For Creams I will have to say Trumpers and for Soaps I say TOBS.

I don't think you can go wrong with either brand.

I do like my Harris soap and want to try Martin de Cadre at some point. I do like a good lavender so I guess I'd rather go that way instead of the unscented. Unless someone knows why the lavender has issues.

1 622