06-03-2013, 08:54 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
It is a slow morning and I figured now is as good a time as any to share my latest two projects.

First up is a no name 2-tone brush from Germany. I'm not sure that it was ever used and if it was, then not much. I removed the original boar knot as well as a chrome ring that showed some signs of age. The ring could have been polished, but it would have restricted my knot selection to sub-20mm. I decided on a custom short lofted 2-band knot from Frank Shaving. The final specs on the brush are 22mm x 44mm loft. I used it for the first time this morning and it is a little bit of a lather hog, but not overly so. The tips are very soft and the backbone works well in conjunction with a shave stick.

[Image: QCbV3NC.jpg]

The second brush is an Ever Ready 150. This brush was in sad shape. The knot was well worn, the handle had several scratches and showed signs of heavy usage. The handle also had marks running parallel to the length of the brush, marks that I'm guessing came from a buffing wheel when a previous owner tried to clean it up. I used some wet sanding, Flitz polish and finally a little automotive clear-coat polish to get her to really shine.

When it came time to get to the business end of the brush I went outside of the box. First I bored it open to about 24mm, I've never gone this large and learned that I can start fast, but it really pays to slow down at the end to get the shape as round as possible (using a dremmel and sanding drum). Second I filled the entire hollow cavity with hot glue, all the way up to the visual reference I used to make my shelf. Finally, while the glue was still hot I had an epiphany and just set the knot right in the bed of hot glue. It was a gamble, but it paid off as the knot is solid, there is no pulling this one out to adjust if I'm not 100% satisfied. Confused

The knot is from Viginia Sheng on aliexpress (now also on the 'bay). The original knot measured 22mm at the glue base by 65mm tall. The final specs after installation are 24x48 and after a test palm lather this brush should be pretty versatile, though I will probably use it mostly for bowl lathering since I have an extensive selection of short brushes that I prefer for face lathering. Enough chat, here is the result:

[Image: fKpCjRa.jpg]

And both brushes after bloom (the 2-band German is still wet from this morning's shave)

[Image: h7PkrKV.jpg]

I hope you all enjoy and encourage feedback and criticism. Also, I do believe the knot in the Ever Ready is a bit cockeyed. It is hard to notice in the original picture and virtually undetectable after bloom, but I wanted to acknowledge my imperfection. Also, I will use the hot glue as a fill in the future as it leaves the brush with a very natural balance, but I will be sticking to silicone adhesive as I like the safety net at this point in my brush restoration hobby.

127 2,386
 06-03-2013, 08:59 AM
User Info
Beautiful brushes. Each one has its own unique character, and your restoration work is very good. Nice job.

184 12,003
 06-03-2013, 09:12 AM
User Info
Wow, those are some lovely brushes! Congratulations!Biggrin

75 20,883
 06-03-2013, 09:35 AM
User Info
Nice job on those restores!

47 1,270
 06-03-2013, 09:50 AM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
Very Nice Job on those brushes.

1 819
 06-03-2013, 09:56 AM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
I really like the look of the Ever Ready - particularly since it's a taller brush. Good work!

29 466
 06-03-2013, 11:52 AM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
both restos turned out great ! must say, lots of Old School charm in both those handles.

0 1,291
 06-03-2013, 04:29 PM
User Info
Both are superb IMHO. They look like they will perform very nicely indeed.

6 1,224
 06-03-2013, 04:39 PM
User Info
That German no name has a lot of character.

The Ever Ready ... yes, they are a bit of work when you enlarge and fill the handle, but they are worth it. As you know that ER looks familiar ...
http://shavenook.com/thread-my-latest-carrington-custom

You did great work on both of them. Enjoy!

1 2,827
 06-04-2013, 01:04 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Thank you everybody, it feels good to have my hard work appreciated by more than just myself.

127 2,386
 06-04-2013, 06:53 PM
User Info
Very nice!! I have about three or four handles that I keep telling myself I'm going to do... I'm afraid I'm either going to have to pay someone to do them or wait until I retire Smile

11 177
 06-04-2013, 07:17 PM
User Info
(06-03-2013, 04:39 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: That German no name has a lot of character.

Absolutely agree! The Ever-Ready is nice too, but that German one has a great retro look and the two band knot is a great aesthetic choice. Very nice job mate.

0 123