06-03-2013, 03:46 PM
User Info
Hi folks,

2 gents have asked about the instructions included with the flask, and rightly so. It states that alcohol shouldn't be kept in the flask for over 3 days or some such. That instruction sheet is from the manufacturer.

I probably should remove the instructions from every flask box, but I don't. The flask is made to contain much stronger alcohol than the Bay Rum and Frostbite that it will house. Frankly, I have no idea why they include that on the instruction sheet. Surely the SS flask isn't a problem in containing alcohol. Maybe it's the gasket under the lid that they don't trust? But I've been using a flask continuously full of Acadian Spice for longer than anyone else with no problems. I've also heard of no problems from others.

Maybe the flask manufacturer want folks to drink more? After all, the flask is designed to hold drinking liquor. I haven't a clue what their motive is. BTW, please don't drink my products.

I'm writing this to let you know that the instructions exist, what they say, and to ignore them.

Don't torque down the cap, lightly snug is more than sufficient, and you should get long life out of the flask. The cap is only there to keep O2 and light out.

Thanks guys!

32 6,308
 06-03-2013, 08:41 PM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
Would the flask be good in checked luggage without leaking? Or would one be better off with the regular container?

29 466
 06-04-2013, 07:44 AM
User Info
I never fly, you need to know that up front. I suggest not torqueing down the cap on the flask, and I think you'd want to if it was in luggage.

But if it were me I would use the plastic bottle with just a little in it to make TSA regulations. They don't count air space in the bottle do they?

It'll take 1 1/3 bottles to fill the flask; approximately. That'll leave you an empty bottle for travel and add to it from the 2/3 full bottle. One ounce will last a very long time so it shouldn't be a problem. Or divvy up the bottles and take 2. Foolish, but that's TSA. There's no limit on the # of bottles is there? I'd also put the bottle(s) in a baggie just in case.

32 6,308
 06-04-2013, 08:09 AM
User Info
(06-04-2013, 07:55 AM)jmsodpc Wrote: I think TSA goes by the label.

If its a 10 oz label but you ony have an ounce in it....its no good.

That's even dummer, but that's TSA. Explosive air!!?? That's precisely why I don't fly. I'd definitely say the wrong thing and get my butt in a bind.

32 6,308
 06-07-2013, 01:32 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(06-04-2013, 08:09 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote:
(06-04-2013, 07:55 AM)jmsodpc Wrote: I think TSA goes by the label.

If its a 10 oz label but you ony have an ounce in it....its no good.

That's even dummer, but that's TSA. Explosive air!!?? That's precisely why I don't fly. I'd definitely say the wrong thing and get my butt in a bind.

Unfortunately, Brian, TSA goes by the capacity the bottle or jar will hold, not the actual contents. If, as you say, one ounce will last quite a while then I would suggest a simple decant into a small two ounce jar. This allows a tighter close than with the flask (which is beautiful, I might add) and also permits it to go into carry-on luggage.

2 11,211