06-04-2013, 01:18 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Just curious if anyone still uses a map and has one in their cars.

1 3,507
 06-04-2013, 01:32 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
I definitely do and am excited whenever I find a unique one. I just picked up New Mexico anniversary map from a campsite while I was out and was rather ecstatic. I can't rely on my phone in the middle of nowhere here so maps are needed. Plus they are just so much fun to look at!

35 1,732
 06-04-2013, 01:39 PM
User Info
LOL, I pretty much just use my phone if I need directions. If the wifey is on her own, I print out a Google map with the directions. Wink

2 546
 06-04-2013, 01:39 PM
User Info
i still use maps and really enjoy them!
Biggrin

75 20,883
 06-04-2013, 03:15 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Brad, I use a detailed street map of San Diego and Orange counties here in California and it never leaves my car. I also collect detailed street maps of cities I have visited, both domestic and foreign.

2 11,211
 06-04-2013, 03:40 PM
  • turtle
  • Lost in the lather
User Info
Yep. Paper rules.

When traveling we stop at the state welcome centers and get state highway department maps, I've found these to be the most detailed as far as roadways.

Also carry the DeLonge Gazetteers for the states where we will bee going off on the county and farm roads.

Paper rules

6 132
 06-04-2013, 04:25 PM
User Info
I still own and use paper maps. I have one of those GPS direction dohickies. Yeahhhh...fool thing tried to drive me down a logging road once, a snowmobile trail across a lake, and a few other unpleasant things. I use the GPS, but tend to verify with the map so I don't go off on a bigger trip than I had planned.

1 345
 06-04-2013, 04:42 PM
User Info
My only problem with maps is you never know about construction or maintenance.

2 546
 06-04-2013, 04:46 PM
User Info
I don't mind the gadgets. They are entertaining sometimes. Give me the map!

My vehicles always have a road atlas and a map of my destination. But then I travel for a livingWink

6 1,224
 06-04-2013, 04:52 PM
User Info
I have maps and look at them for the big picture, but when I am going to a fairly local address, I use the garmin. It frustrates me sometimes as I get about 10 feet before a turn and then it tells me to turn....recalculating Angry

I need to try my phone and see how it does.

31 1,800
 06-04-2013, 07:05 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I have maps of each state plus two road atlas's in the car. We don't travel much anymore but I'm prepared if we do.

173 23,535
 06-04-2013, 08:04 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
I use maps all the time. Love maps. I have an atlas in my car that never leaves, use it to plan all trips in Texas. I also have a all the state maps for the states surrounding Texas, and an atlas for Georgia.

I also have a ton of Topos, these are a must for backpacking trips. I prefer to plan trips using maps.

14 1,177
 06-06-2013, 02:20 AM
User Info
I habe DeLorme Atlases for NH and VT. They are topo maps in a magazine form.
I love them. Very detailed showing even dirt roads and hiling trails.
I have usd them many times to find my way around both states.

I will use "Betsy", my gps, on occassion but I prefer a map.
In rural parts of both states it is hard to get a cell signal for the phone. Unlike Betsy the phone does not store maps. So in the middle of nowhere my phone will show my position on a blank gray screenConfused

I noticed that map reading may be a natural skill as well as an acquired one. My wife has trouble to this day with maps. My daughter became my navigator at 8 years old as she could read a map almost instinctively. I have since notic d this ability/lack of ability in many folks despite training.

7 363
 06-06-2013, 02:27 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(06-06-2013, 02:20 AM)PhilNH5 Wrote: I habe DeLorme Atlases for NH and VT. They are topo maps in a magazine form.
I love them. Very detailed showing even dirt roads and hiling trails.
I have usd them many times to find my way around both states.

I will use "Betsy", my gps, on occassion but I prefer a map.
In rural parts of both states it is hard to get a cell signal for the phone. Unlike Betsy the phone does not store maps. So in the middle of nowhere my phone will show my position on a blank gray screenConfused

I noticed that map reading may be a natural skill as well as an acquired one. My wife has trouble to this day with maps. My daughter became my navigator at 8 years old as she could read a map almost instinctively. I have since notic d this ability/lack of ability in many folks despite training.

Phil, I agree with you. My father always marveled at how my sister and I could read a map. My friend here in Scotland, too, marvels at how her late friend and I could read maps but she struggles with them. I am not sure why that is. Maybe if there is a fascination with them, as there is for me, that helps because one is curious to learn more.

2 11,211