06-04-2013, 04:30 PM
User Info
This review is recovered from the old review section for archival reasons

When I first made the switch to traditional DE shaving, I wanted to go as inexpensive as possible; just to make sure it was something I wanted to do. Fast-forward to today (heck, even after my very first DE shave attempt), and I'm smitten and here to stay! Biggrin One of the areas that I held off on spending money on was the Shave Mug / Bowl / Scuttle. I figured any old coffee mug would be fine to build lather, and I could save some money in the process. After the umpteenth time of me slamming my knuckles and brush handle against the inside of my old coffee mug, I knew I had to make a change. Hmm

Thanks to all the fine gentlemen here at Shave Nook, I got recommended the Dirty Bird "The Shave Nook 2012" Limited Edition Bill Bowl, from Dirty Bird Pottery. These are hand-crafted and made-to-order by Julie Moore in King George, Virginia. I contacted Julie, and she still had some of the LE's available, and 6 weeks later, I received this Limited Edition Bill Bowl in "Berry Rim on Blue" Color. Smile

[Image: 9lEohgX.jpg]

The first thing that struck me about the Dirty Bird TSN 2012 LE Bill Bowl is how wide it is; I could already tell this would be a big improvement from my old coffee mug.

The second thing that stood out was just how *beautiful* the craftsmanship was. It's a gorgeous blue, and has a wonderful, handcrafted look and feel. The hypnotic swirls carved inside the bowl were interesting and I remembered the veterans had mentioned it helped with building lather.

[Image: iEDMI7s.jpg]

The handle on the side is inverted (bending slightly downward), and while it's all new to me, as soon as I lifted this Bill Bowl it all became clear: You use your thumb to latch onto the inverted Handle, and then the Bill Bowl itself fits nicely in the palm of your hand! It's so comfortable and relaxing and safe (I felt totally confident that the Bowl wouldn't slip out from me as I was holding it for Lathering up, etc.).

Then the real test: It was Shave Day for me, and I added a few pumps of Kiss My Face Shaving Cream, took out my Simpsons Duke 3 Best Badger Brush and began to swirl and build lather. After the first revolution, I could only smile:

* No more banging my knuckles on the inside of my old coffee mug! Woo hoo! Aaaaa

The Dirty Bird TSN 2012 Bill Bowl allowed me to easily swirl and build lather with EASE, and with no interference from my own hand / knuckles. Tongue

[Image: Skb7E2r.jpg]

And the Swirls carved into the Bowl: They really work! With the same amount of Shaving Cream, same Brush, just by changing to this Bill Bowl, I created WONDERFUL LATHER, so much easier than using my old coffee mug. My Shaving Days just improved tenfold, I am so happy! Biggrin

[Image: VESusRF.jpg]

And as mattloffm mentioned, the bulges on the inside of the wide bowl keep the Lather in the Bowl, instead of spilling out all over the place.

I received #38 / 50 for this Limited Edition Bowl, and it measures 4.5 inches inside diameter, and 2.5 inches inside depth.

[Image: Tcd8i9O.jpg]

If you're looking for an excellent Shaving Bowl to build lather, without worrying about injuring your knuckles or brush handle, handcrafted in the U.S.A., look no further than the excellent lather machine that is the Dirty Bird "The Shave Nook 2012" Limited Edition Bill Bowl. I literally can't stop smiling as I'm typing this, and the difference in the lather I've made is noticeable, and my knuckles personally thank churchilllafemme, ben74, Moe, TexBilly, matloffm, Johnny, and everyone else for the excellent advice on this great piece of shaving gear. Well worth the money! Highly recommended. Smile

[Image: g5upKWA.jpg]

Dirty Bird "The Shave Nook 2012" Limited Edition Bill Bowl

(Score (out of a maximum 10.0))

* Quality: 9.0
* Ergonomics: 9.5
* Effectiveness: 10.0

* Overall: 9.5

3 270
 06-04-2013, 06:49 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Nice review and I could not agree more. Just for a bit of history, the Bill Bowl was named after our own TexBilly.

173 23,484
 06-04-2013, 08:01 PM
User Info
(06-04-2013, 06:49 PM)Johnny Wrote: Nice review and I could not agree more. Just for a bit of history, the Bill Bowl was named after our own TexBilly.

Hi Johnny,

Oh wow! I had no idea it was named after our own moderator! Congrats TexBilly. Biggrin

And thanks again Johnny for the great recommendation. Smile

3 270
 06-05-2013, 02:01 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
I missed the LE, but secured the same bowl in 'standard' form and I love it!

I am a cold water shaver, but for those days I just MUST have the lather warm, I just soak the bowl in warm water and it retains the heat through most of my shave.

Awesome bowl for sure.

33 914
 06-05-2013, 07:59 AM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
Nice.

It almost seems that more bowls are still available.

1 819
 06-05-2013, 02:15 PM
User Info
(06-05-2013, 07:59 AM)Grumpy Wrote: Nice.

It almost seems that more bowls are still available.

Hi Mike, Grumpy,

Yah, I'd email Julie at Dirty Bird Pottery and see if there are more available. Should be a few left. Smile

3 270
 06-05-2013, 03:19 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Ken, great review and I like how you captured the essence of the function I was going for when Julie patiently worked with me oh so long ago. Well done and happy lathering! Cool

35 2,703
 06-05-2013, 10:37 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
When I contacted Julie last year we agreed she would product 50 of the LE Bill Bowls. If you got #38 then I assume that means she can make 12 more if ordered.

173 23,484
 06-06-2013, 04:30 PM
User Info
(06-05-2013, 03:19 PM)TexBilly Wrote: Ken, great review and I like how you captured the essence of the function I was going for when Julie patiently worked with me oh so long ago. Well done and happy lathering! Cool

Thanks TexBilly!

We need to thank *you* for helping develop this fabulous bowl in the first place. Biggrin

3 270
 06-07-2013, 01:17 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I have to agree that this is one of the nicest bowls out there. I was originally concerned about the weight and size of the Bill Bowl but it all seems to fall into place perfectly and is quite easy to hold.

2 11,211
 06-08-2013, 04:30 PM
User Info
(06-07-2013, 01:17 AM)freddy Wrote: I have to agree that this is one of the nicest bowls out there. I was originally concerned about the weight and size of the Bill Bowl but it all seems to fall into place perfectly and is quite easy to hold.

Definitely agree freddy. Biggrin

I just had another wonderful shave with The Shave Nook 2012 Bill Bowl. It's made my shaving days so much better. Blush

I can't wait to see what the lather is like when I try out MdC in it (soon)! Smile

3 270