06-05-2013, 09:30 AM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
So a few weeks ago I posted a WTB thread for a Weber razor.

I've been wanting to experiment with pairing a mild razor with an aggressive blade to see how it would work out for me and my skin/hair type.

My current stable is a Merkur 1904 OC, Gillette Ball End OC and an L'Essor OC.

A few days later, I found myself in possession of not only 1, but 2 Weber razors. One Polished Head with Bulldog Handle, one DLC Head only. The past week or so they have been the only razors I've used to get the feel for them.

Let me first start out by stating that these razors are extremely mild. Where with most of my other razors can wipe my face clean in one pass WTG for a decent shave, these do not. The blade gap on these razors is so mild that it takes 2-3 WTG passes just to get every hair on your face down to an acceptable level before you start your XTG or ATG passes.

Terrible news, right? Wrong.

My face and neck have never looked, or felt, better. My face was never really an issue, but the hair on my neck is extremely curly and grows in 5-6 different directions with swirls on either side. I have to pay particularly close attention to my angle, pressure and direction down there or it's ingrown city. Usually I do a fairly decent job, but all it takes is one ingrown hair to flair up, get cut on your next shave, so on and so forth until your neck looks like hamburger meat and your ripping out ingrowns and taking a week off from shaving to heal up.

This is where the Weber shines. It's so incredibly mild and inefficient that it's nearly impossible to screw it up and go too hard/aggressive with it. I would go so far as to say I think you would have to actually try to cut or nick yourself with this razor.

So in the end, I think I've found my new go-to razor. I may try to explore slightly more aggressive models, but these razors coupled with a good sharp blade like a Feather or SI is absolutely wonderful.

13 599
 06-05-2013, 09:33 AM
User Info
It's great that you found a combination that works well for you, Matt. For me the DLC also works very well with high-quality vintage blades such as the Wilkinson Light Brigade or Schick Plus Platinum, as well as with the SI.

183 12,002
 06-05-2013, 10:09 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
A number of guys like you have sensitive skin and need a mild shaver
in order to get a decent shave. This is one of the reasons big companies like Gillette & Schick mass produce cartridge razors. The other reason is big profits. I am happy you like the Weber razors because they are very well made and stainless steel is their preferred metal. Best of luck.

100 12,436
 06-05-2013, 10:11 AM
User Info
Matt, great to hear you are enjoying the Webers!
Have you found any difference between the DLC and the PH?
i had the ARC and the PH, but found them too aggressive compared to the DLC. Obviously, i only use my DLC as my main razor as is evident in my SOTD pics. Biggrin
Enjoy the quality shavers!

75 20,883
 06-05-2013, 10:15 AM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
I didn't realize the Webers were this mild... Now I have to add them to my list along with the AS-D1? Y'all are killing me...

14 1,177
 06-05-2013, 10:19 AM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
(06-05-2013, 10:11 AM)celestino Wrote: Matt, great to hear you are enjoying the Webers!
Have you found any difference between the DLC and the PH?
i had the ARC and the PH, but found them too aggressive compared to the DLC. Obviously, i only use my DLC as my main razor as is evident in my SOTD pics. Biggrin
Enjoy the quality shavers!

Thank you, Celestino.

To be perfectly honest constantly seeing you, Matt, Ravi and others beautiful shots and DLC's in your SOTD photos is what pushed me over the edge.

While I haven't noticed the PH or DLC being more or less aggressive than one another, I have noticed that the PH does have more of a traditional glide while the DLC does drag ever so slightly where there isn't any lather.

The end result is the same amazing shave, but the DLC is absolutely beautiful and so unique.

(06-05-2013, 10:15 AM)CRAusmus Wrote: I didn't realize the Webers were this mild... Now I have to add them to my list along with the AS-D1? Y'all are killing me...

Like, super mild.

I can't immagine anything being any milder than this unless it was made by Fisher-Price, was bright red and intended for children.

13 599
 06-05-2013, 11:24 AM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
It's interesting that you find the Weber as mild as you do.

I've owned the DLC and now own the PH and the ARC. I have the Weber positioned in the mild to mild/moderate category.

My old Feather AS-D1 was considerably more mild...as is my current Feather AS-D2. With all of that said, I feel that the Weber represents one of the strongest values in quality shavers today. I used my ARC again this morning and it's truly a great shaving tool...as are all of the Weber products.

My only issue with my old DLC was that the DLC finish was beginning to fade in certain areas. I have the pictures posted in my Stainless Steel Shootout thread. I don't think that issue would ever present itself as a shaving problem for anyone - I can only assume that the DLC is a bit more difficult to work with on razors...only Ed at Weber could answer that for certain.

29 466
 06-05-2013, 11:54 AM
User Info
Glad you are enjoying the new razors Matt. I'm curious though with how mild it is (2-3 WTG passes) just how many passes are you doing for your shave now and what brush are you using to hold enough lather? Winky

31 7,912
 06-05-2013, 12:38 PM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
(06-05-2013, 11:54 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Glad you are enjoying the new razors Matt. I'm curious though with how mild it is (2-3 WTG passes) just how many passes are you doing for your shave now and what brush are you using to hold enough lather? Winky

Haha I'm not even kidding. Have you ever tried one? If you have a handle that will fit it, I'll gladly send you one of the heads to let you try it and see for yourself.

I'll get like 75% of the hair on the first WTG pass, another 20% on the second and then I'll usually skip the 3rd WTG and move straight to an XTG to get the last stragglers.

That's usually where I end it though, as I'm not an ATG kind of guy. I could get away with it anywhere above my jaw line, but then my neck would be ready to shave before the rest of my face in the evening and look silly so I just keep it at a 3 pass shave.

13 599
 06-05-2013, 12:47 PM
User Info
I greatly appreciate the offer Matt but the DE blades are not a good match for me. I'll just keep enjoying everyone's lovely pictures of them and the great success stories! Biggrin

31 7,912
 06-05-2013, 01:00 PM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
Quote:That's usually where I end it though, as I'm not an ATG kind of guy. I could get away with it anywhere above my jaw line, but then my neck would be ready to shave before the rest of my face in the evening and look silly so I just keep it at a 3 pass shave.

Ah...that clears it up for me. Enjoy your shaves, it's a great razor!

29 466
 06-05-2013, 01:42 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
The DLC is my favorite razor along with the DE89. I'ts exactly like you described it, mild and efficient. I am surprised too you think it's milder than a 1904 OC. I find the DLC noticeably more aggressive that the 1904 OC.

45 3,955
 06-05-2013, 04:21 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
The Weber is my favorite, although I consider it more moderate than mild...maybe a 5 on a scale of 10. I used to use aggressive razors most of the time, as anything less couldn't get me a BBS, but the Weber does it in 3 passes...although my first shaves weren't that grand as I was using an angle with the handle more towards the ground, once I changed to a angle with the handle more horizontal, and the cap closer to my skin..it all fell into place.

My beard also grows in many directions, 2 spots are actually 360° spirals with hairs that lay flat and are extremely difficult to mow down...really odd how the perception of a razor can vary so wildly between individuals. Huh

31 1,510
 06-05-2013, 04:31 PM
User Info
My polished is in regular rotation but has taken a back seat to the Merkur Slant that feels more efficient and mild at the same time.

1 85
 06-05-2013, 04:43 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(06-05-2013, 11:24 AM)Samjax Wrote: It's interesting that you find the Weber as mild as you do.

I've owned the DLC and now own the PH and the ARC. I have the Weber positioned in the mild to mild/moderate category.

My old Feather AS-D1 was considerably more mild...as is my current Feather AS-D2. With all of that said, I feel that the Weber represents one of the strongest values in quality shavers today. I used my ARC again this morning and it's truly a great shaving tool...as are all of the Weber products.

My only issue with my old DLC was that the DLC finish was beginning to fade in certain areas. I have the pictures posted in my Stainless Steel Shootout thread. I don't think that issue would ever present itself as a shaving problem for anyone - I can only assume that the DLC is a bit more difficult to work with on razors...only Ed at Weber could answer that for certain.

This is ultimately why I got rid of mine, while I hated to, the resulting shave was the same as I get with the Polished Weber and nothing overly special, although the DLC was slightly smoother.
I had seen several posts of the coating wearing and also some shots of rusting and just decided to get rid of it while it was in good condition... I thought I would regret it, but I don't really miss it to be honest.

31 1,510
 06-05-2013, 04:53 PM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
You guys have me second guessing my razor aggressiveness judgement!

Could you maybe recommend a razor that is widely regarded to be less aggressive than the Weber that I could try?

13 599
 06-05-2013, 05:15 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(06-05-2013, 04:53 PM)VT_Hokie Wrote: You guys have me second guessing my razor aggressiveness judgement!

Could you maybe recommend a razor that is widely regarded to be less aggressive than the Weber that I could try?

The Feather Stainless AS-D1, Gillette Tech (with round holes) Edwin Jagger DE89 or Muhle R89, Flare-tip Super Speed...those are a few off the top of my head that are extremely mild..on my personal scale about a 1-2 out of 10.

31 1,510
 06-05-2013, 05:22 PM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
(06-05-2013, 05:15 PM)Arcadies Wrote: Edwin Jagger DE89 or Muhle R89

Any preference between these 2? I see these come up a ton. Maybe I could score one sans handle.

13 599
 06-05-2013, 05:24 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(06-05-2013, 05:22 PM)VT_Hokie Wrote:
(06-05-2013, 05:15 PM)Arcadies Wrote: Edwin Jagger DE89 or Muhle R89

Any preference between these 2? I see these come up a ton. Maybe I could score one sans handle.

Not really, they're the exact same head, only the handles and the name differ.

31 1,510
 06-05-2013, 05:27 PM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
You have made an excellent choice with the Weber. If you want more mild - easy, go with a new Feather AS-D2 or maybe the iKon OSS. If you want to bump it up a bit, the ATT M or Tradere SB would make perfect sense. I don't think the iKon OC adds anything to the Weber, but if you want to get into more "aggressive" territory, the iKon SB is an extremely nice razor.

29 466