06-07-2013, 08:37 AM
User Info
Hi guys, I have a bad beard-skin type combination, which is coarse beard (multidirectional) and a sensitive skin. Would you recommend shaving with a slant bar type safety razor and doing less passes for a more effective shave?

10 605
 06-07-2013, 08:53 AM
User Info
Hi - because you say you have a coarse beard, I would give the slant a try. My beard (such as it is, I'm no Grizzly Adams) can be pretty coarse. I found that the slant glided much easier, whereas a straight bar or open comb might tug just a little.

I think you can definitely get a good shave in less passes with the slant. But I would recommend paying attention, especially to detail. Just because of the way the slants are designed, one side of the razor touches before the other, so tight spots (such as under the nose) or areas you want to keep even (like sideburns) can be tougher to negotiate.

I think slants are great.

72 1,407
 06-07-2013, 05:53 PM
User Info
A good open comb like the Cadet can whack out a considerable amount of stubble on the first pass. A good lather is also crucial to in protecting the skin.

6 808
 06-07-2013, 05:59 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Definitely give it a try, don't use the same strokes as you would with SB, try to take longer strokes with a little slide action.

88 4,233
 06-07-2013, 07:22 PM
User Info
Horacio, I think slants are definitely worth a try; the ones I have tried have been efficient and easy to use (Merkur, vintage, Bakelite). I like your idea of fewer passes, as well.

47 1,270
 06-07-2013, 07:48 PM
User Info
I have the same skin/hair combination and slants were the best DE by far. However, I also found that this same skin/hair combo was not good (for me) with DE blades in general. My stubble would make the blade flex and chatter during a stroke leading to weepers all over the place. The reason the slant worked better for me is that the 3rd dimensional torque on the blade increases the blades relative stiffness when compared to a regular DE head which only torques the blade in 2 dimensions.

With that in mind I'd highly suggest giving a SE razor a try. A couple great ones to start out with include the Feather Weight and 1912 by GEM. SEs were what took my traditional shaves from "meh, this is what everyone is raving about"; to "ahh, now I see what everyone is raving about"! Biggrin

31 7,914
 06-07-2013, 08:13 PM
User Info
(06-07-2013, 07:48 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: With that in mind I'd highly suggest giving a SE razor a try. A couple great ones to start out with include the Feather Weight and 1912 by GEM. SEs were what took my traditional shaves from "meh, this is what everyone is raving about"; to "ahh, now I see what everyone is raving about"! Biggrin

Now Brian, you knew I would agree to that! (Brian is the one who got me started on SE razors).

If you are willing to give them a try, find a GEM or Ever Ready SE razor (if I had to pick one, middle of the road crowd-pleaser, it would be the 1912 family of razors). Smooth shave, fewer passes, less irritation for many.

47 1,270
 06-07-2013, 08:29 PM
User Info
Horacio, as always, YMMV in this intriguing journey!
i have the same dark, coarse beard and sensitive skin, but i did not enjoy the Slant nor the Single Edge razors, at all. Until i found the Weber DLC, no razor was really working for me. i would have to say that the Progress worked the best until i found the DLC. What a great difference this razor head has made for my shaves. Good luck with the Slant, amigo, as it may help with your shaves!Smile

75 20,883
 06-07-2013, 08:44 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
There's always the Cobra too ... Biggrin

I have coarse hair, but fairly robust skin ie not overtly sensitive. The Cobra is very efficient and smooth. The slant is my favorite amongst the DE razors for the same reasons Brian has already mentioned.

102 17,669
 06-08-2013, 10:14 AM
User Info
Thanks for your help guys, I am going to give the slant a try, also I have a gem G bar that I haven't used, so maybe that will help this situation. And as always YMMV!

10 605
 06-08-2013, 10:23 AM
User Info
Please keep up updated on your results!

31 7,914
 06-08-2013, 02:30 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I like the 1912 Gems too.

1 819
 06-10-2013, 07:35 AM
User Info
I have similar hair and skin and I like using my Merkur 37C slant. But I wouldn't say it's any more efficient, just comfortable though. I still require 3 passes + touchups. I find the Cadet Open Comb to be only slightly less smooth but a good deal more efficient.

10 2,062
 06-11-2013, 01:39 PM
User Info
Update: Today I shaved with the Gem G bar single edge razor with a Gem Personna fresh blade, and the results were incredible, I have to say that I have owned this razor for about a month and don't know why I haven't used it. On the other hand the Merkur slant 37 C is on it's way... I'll keep you posted!

10 605
 06-11-2013, 01:48 PM
User Info
That is wonderful news! I love hearing someone having a great first shave with a SE. Congrats. Clap

I look forward to hearing how the slant goes for you and if you keep seeing great results with the SEs.

31 7,914
 06-14-2013, 05:04 AM
User Info
I had a vintage Hoffritz slant and it is the closest thing to a straight razor shave that you can get IMO. I have pretty sensitive skin also and a pretty coarse beard and I can get a pretty decent shave with one pass with my slant. And that's with a few days growth. If I do a WTG and a XTG pass I get a really close shave with no irritation what so ever. I would say give it a shot, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Sent via raven

1 96
 06-20-2013, 08:18 PM
User Info
Update: I have been shaving with the SE all this week and having great results = comfortable and effective shaves. On the other hand, the merkur 37c slant, landed yesterday, I will shave with it next week.

10 605
 06-21-2013, 03:24 AM
User Info
Glad to hear it. Let us know how you like it, but I don't think you will be disappointed.

Sent from the Wall via raven

1 96
 07-01-2013, 09:22 AM
User Info
Another positive vote for SE shaving...takes a little thought and practice, but I seem to get nicer results as time goes on.

3 73
 07-01-2013, 05:52 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
So, did you use the slant yet?

I have sensitive skin and a tough beard as well, and thus cannot use the more aggressive razors without getting a lot of nicks and weepers (i.e. R41, iKon SB, even Old Type). That said, I do have a Sledgehammer Slant and get a close shave with it, but I have to be very careful. The blade makes a big difference as well. It is about the most aggressive razor I can use without totally demolishing my face. Scared

52 788