06-07-2013, 09:23 AM
User Info
I am wondering if it makes sense to increase blade exposure on the third or fourth shave with a blade to compensate for the dulling of the blade (assuming you have an adjustable or a stable of heads).

0 2
 06-07-2013, 10:49 AM
  • clk
  • Louisville, Kentucky
User Info
You can try, but if you have found the magic combination, why would you. Blades are cheap, and if the magic is working at a certain setting, I would not change it. When the blade dulls (or in my case after the 4th shave), I change blades.

0 230
 06-07-2013, 11:13 AM
User Info
Why not just pitch it? It seems to me that making a dull(er) blade more aggressive is a recipe for problems.

In cooking, sharp knives are safer knives because they do what they are supposed to do.

72 1,407
 06-07-2013, 02:33 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
(06-07-2013, 10:49 AM)clk Wrote: You can try, but if you have found the magic combination, why would you. Blades are cheap, and if the magic is working at a certain setting, I would not change it. When the blade dulls (or in my case after the 4th shave), I change blades.

(06-07-2013, 11:13 AM)jpakstis Wrote: Why not just pitch it? It seems to me that making a dull(er) blade more aggressive is a recipe for problems.

In cooking, sharp knives are safer knives because they do what they are supposed to do.

Well stated - it's just not worth it considering the cost of the blade. Consistent with the kitchen knives analogy, I'd want a sharper - not duller - blade if I'm increasing the blade exposure. Cut those whiskers and move on!

35 2,703
 06-07-2013, 02:58 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
beyond a certain point, it may not really shave better, just irritate your hide more.

0 1,291
 06-07-2013, 03:19 PM
User Info
(06-07-2013, 11:13 AM)jpakstis Wrote: Why not just pitch it? It seems to me that making a dull(er) blade more aggressive is a recipe for problems.

I'm with this. Besides, I'll bet you spend more on electricity every day. JMHO

2 546
 06-07-2013, 04:43 PM
User Info
i would listen to these fine gentlemen with their sage advice! Smile

75 20,883
 06-08-2013, 03:34 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
No substitute for a sharp blade.

173 23,546
 06-08-2013, 09:18 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
(06-08-2013, 03:34 AM)Johnny Wrote: No substitute for a sharp blade.

I agree with Johnny here. Just pop in a new blade and go with it. No need in doing more harm than necessary.

15 970
 06-08-2013, 02:13 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
While it makes more sense to go ahead and change the blade, it all depends on what you want to accomplish.

In the Blade Review Section - Under DE Blade Channenge II - GDCarrington would adjust the setting on his adjustable razor to finish his blade testing.

In several cases the higher adjustment allowed one more shave. And for a couple of his tests where the adjustment setting was increased it allowed him to use the same blade for a few more shaves.

So I guess the thought is if you want to use the blade for as long as possible then go ahead and raise the settings. You might not notice the difference but, YMMV and you may find that with some blades you can stretch and others should be tossed.

1 819
 06-08-2013, 03:07 PM
User Info
When using a DE I've alway only used them for one shave. It eliminated these kind of questions.

5 410
 06-20-2013, 05:23 PM
  • Dalejr
  • Nova Scotia, Canada
User Info
Never thought about it before really. Blades are cheap, why risk irritation.

1 49
 06-20-2013, 10:25 PM
User Info
The sharper the better. And if the razor is too mild than get one that is more aggressive. Or bump it up if its adjustable. You should be able to have a nice close shave after two passes max. If your rig isn't doing that for you than your using the wrong rig. Irritation comes from more passes than necessary, dull blades, used blades that are not clean, and bad technique.

Get a sharp blade, a razor aggressive enough to get you a close shave in two passes and keep at it until it works.

Using a mild razor and an Astra instead of a more aggressive rig won't make up for lacking technique, it will just add other problems and make learning that much harder, irritate your skin, and make you wanna give up.

If irritation is something you haven't worked out than go ahead and use a new blade each time. Using a dirty one just makes the irritation last longer.

Good Luck.

1 622