06-07-2013, 05:25 PM
User Info
There is a hint in a prior post by Mark that a Simpson boar brush may be in development. I have three thoughts on this.

First, I would definitely acquire a Simpson boar just for the handle. I've always kept one boar brush in a rotation of silvertips and 2-bands. The only reason I don't have more boar brushes is the handles. There are some excellent boar knots out there but none of them are set in the same quality handles found in high end badger brushes. My guess is that the knot on a Simpson boar will not be superior to those from Omega or Semogue, but I would want one for the handle alone.

Second, what would be the price point for such a brush? Simpson is the most highly esteemed brush maker and it's not going to lower the prestige of its brand by pricing at the same level as the current boar brush makers. However, a Simpson boar knot may not be any better than the knots of those other, inexpensive brush makers. The shaving connoisseurs will pay a premium for the Simpson name and beautiful handle. It will be for Simpson to determine how much of a premium the market will bear.

I priced the new Muhle synthetics at a vendor who carries all four of the sizes, and they are priced at $57.50, $71.50, $86.50, and $109.00. Would you pay those prices for a Simpson boar? Would you go higher?

Third, which current Simpson handle would be best for a boar knot? We tend to like the Chubby and Duke handles. However, boar knots tend to have a higher loft than badger knots. The Chubby and Duke handles may be too short for a boar knot.

My vote for a Simpson boar handle would be the 50 Series. These longer handles come in five sizes and could accommodate different lofts of the boar knots. I've always liked the 50 Series handles and wished they were produced with Super knots. A 58 or 59 with a boar knot would be one great brush.

37 2,971
 06-07-2013, 05:29 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I would by a Simpsons Boar. However, I couldn't see myself paying any more than $40.

45 3,955
 06-07-2013, 05:35 PM
User Info
If it is like the Vulfix boar brushes, then I would give it a pass.

I wasn't overly impressed with the two I have owned.

If the knot is upgraded, then I would consider it.

18 569
 06-07-2013, 06:24 PM
User Info
A Simpson boar? That would be a travesty!

But I would buy one if it was reasonably priced.

Short handles being a problem? Well, not for lots of folks. The Omega 40033 Wide Waist Mighty Midget is probably the most out of "balance" boar with a tiny handle that I've ever seen or experienced and it's a fine brush, but the handle isn't Simpson quality. But my point is that even a short handle works fine. It's just what someone can get accustomed to. Now long handles are something I simply can't abide.

Lofts tend to be higher? Well, they CAN be higher, but they don't need to be much higher. The highest loft I like in a badger is about 45mm and that's a large badger when in use on the face. My boars are all 50mm or less and feel significantly smaller on my face than the larger badgers of mine, except for the Semogues. So the brushes can be quite similarly sized or even smaller in use. Again, it's what someone can get accustomed to. FWIW, you couldn't give me a large lofted boar since I can't get accustomed to it.

I just can't see Simpsons trying to compete in the boar market. But maybe Simpsons has something up their sleeve that I don't see, and maybe they're looking forward to a badger shortage. They're also developing a synthetic fiber brush.

32 6,311
 06-07-2013, 08:16 PM
User Info
I can see reasons why Simpsons would venture into synthetics, but not likewise (again) into boars.

47 1,270
 06-07-2013, 08:42 PM
User Info
(06-07-2013, 08:16 PM)kentclark Wrote: I can see reasons why Simpsons would venture into synthetics, but not likewise (again) into boars.

Brand loyalty is a powerful motivating factor.

0 386
 06-07-2013, 11:07 PM
User Info
Going off the pricing of Vulfix boars, I would expect to see mid $30 for one, that being said, yes I probably would buy one.

0 652
 06-08-2013, 12:18 AM
  • Elbe
  • Wolfsburg, Germany
User Info
The only reason I can see for adding boar brushes to their line would be a sharp increase of costs for badger hair. Given the price is skyrocketing due to both an increasing demand for badger hair and a decreasing badger population in China or the possibility, that China will allow the export of knots made in China only, it would be necessary to have an alternative to offer. In my opinion that's not boar but a really high classed synthetic fibre.

Sourcing what fibres the chemical industry like Toray, BASF or DuPont is offering, testing them out in order to find something suitable for brushes. The way Mühle went with a lot of success.

Also with a synthetic fibre you can target at vegan living users or people feeling unhappy with the thought of using a boar brush in their face.

0 229
 06-08-2013, 01:41 AM
  • Elbe
  • Wolfsburg, Germany
User Info
Oh, forgot to mention: No, certainly I wouldn't buy one. First I'm through with buying brushes and I'm sure Simpsons pricing for such a boar would be outrageous.

0 229
 06-08-2013, 02:45 AM
User Info
Well I'm glad our new Sales Manager clarified all that.

Smile

1 630
 06-08-2013, 03:02 AM
  • Elbe
  • Wolfsburg, Germany
User Info
If the shoe fits, wear it!

0 229
 06-08-2013, 03:07 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I'd really like a Simpsons Badger/Boar mix! (Similar to the Semogue)

Not convinced I will ever go the whole hog (from any manufacturer), but if Mark did start producing boars (as he has previously hinted at) I would certainly be tempted...

91 17,874
 06-08-2013, 03:38 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
In one simple word:

YES! Piggy_214

173 23,553
 06-08-2013, 05:37 AM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
I'd be one of the first in line for a Simpson boar.

0 1,136
 06-08-2013, 08:38 AM
User Info
Simpsons made numerous boar brushes up until we lost ownership....for the record...

Gary

0 213
 06-08-2013, 09:19 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Thanks Gary, that is good to know. Hope all is well with you and the family.

173 23,553
 06-08-2013, 11:01 AM
User Info
(06-08-2013, 09:19 AM)Johnny Wrote: Thanks Gary, that is good to know. Hope all is well with you and the family.

All good thanks!

Gary

0 213
 06-08-2013, 04:00 PM
  • TRBeck
  • Unregistered
User Info
Good to see you, Gary!

As for good handles on boars, there are numerous artisan handle turners on the forums, and I have acquired some very nice handles for boar knots from them.

Would I be intrigued to see what Simpson would do with boar? Absolutely. Would I buy one? Only if it were better than an Omega knot.

06-08-2013, 04:45 PM
User Info
If it's as good as an SOC I'd jump on it.

10 2,062
 06-10-2013, 02:16 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Yes, I'd purchase a decent Simpson Boar, provided they were priced well. No way I would pay more than $40-50, for example. I realise they are hand-turned and finished etc but boar is boar. A nice chunky handle would be good. A barrel would be amazing IMO.

0 1,625