06-09-2013, 09:07 AM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
Hey folks,
I'm really liking the one or two pass BBS shaves my Open Combs are giving me, but the little nicks and weepers are driving me nuts. I'm wanting a cream or soap with lots of glycerin or lanolin for great glide and cushion. Any recommendations?

2 334
 06-09-2013, 09:17 AM
User Info
Why not add a few drops of glycerin to your favorite cream/soap?

4 219
 06-09-2013, 09:25 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Have you tried a pre-shave oil? Prairie Creations unscented pre-shave oil works wonders at helping to prevent those pesky little weepers.

173 23,500
 06-09-2013, 10:18 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Haslinger Schafmilch and Mitchell's Wool Fat soaps both have lanolin and are excellent.

35 2,703
 06-10-2013, 05:24 AM
User Info
You might also try a scalloped comb like Merkur offers. I have great luck with the 33C.

1 283
 06-10-2013, 05:29 AM
User Info
What soaps or creams are you using? Tallow, stearic acid, glyercine are all great ingredients for building a thick lather for glide and protection. Lanolin is for post-shave moisturizing.

I used to be a lanolin fan, but I've actually focused less on post-shave effects in my soaps and creams and more on what kind of shave my soap provides. I figure that I have aftershaves and moisturizers to handle the "post" end of things. I've gravitated toward soaps like Martin de Candre (high stearic acid content) and those vintage Penhaligon's soaps (tallow-first ingredient).

72 1,407
 06-10-2013, 07:02 AM
User Info
What are you using now?

15 762
 06-10-2013, 01:15 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
Glycerin - 1st - 5 drops (or add as much as you like ... well until the combination fails)

Shave Oil - 2nd

1 819
 06-10-2013, 01:52 PM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
I use ARKO, ARKO cream, Van Der Hagen, NUKA, Bigelow Cream, LEA Stick, Mike's Natural, Palmolive Stick.
I had better results with smearing the VDH on my growth and then brushing in some ARKO Cream on top of it and whipping up a good lather.
Alan[/font]

2 334
 06-10-2013, 02:49 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
When I use my slant I just add a bit of Cremo Cream to my face before I lather. I have used a Feather Blade and have not had any problems at all doing this. I've also used Shave Secret, which is a shave oil...i used it as a pre-shave oil with good results. You can get both of these at most CVS Pharmacies for around $7 each depending.

Good Luck!

68 1,416
 06-10-2013, 07:03 PM
  • TRBeck
  • Unregistered
User Info
IMO prep is not the answer to weepers. Technique is. Are you consistently using one kit day to day? What brush, cream, which open comb razor, etc?

06-10-2013, 07:31 PM
User Info
I don't think a software change is likely to solve this issue for you. It probably has to do with your technique, perhaps with the razor or blade choice.

15 762
 06-13-2013, 05:51 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I agree with TRBeck and guildx500 to a certain degree. You should probably fix the majority of your issue with technique.

However, I also know that certain combinations of beard hair, skin, and prep leave the face more easy to nick. And that can be mitigated. For example, I don't always take a shower before shaving for multiple reasons. On those days, my beard is less soft and my facial skin is less hydrated. The tougher beard makes it more likely that the blade will get deflected into my skin, and the dryer skin is less elastic.

On those days I tend to use PREP as a preshave. It adds a little protection and a little conditioning to my skin to make the shave more comfortable. I also try to take extra time for the lather to work on my beard before shaving.

I also like shave soaps that contain shea-butter for extra comfort and after-shave skin conditioning.
Provence Sante
RazoRock "karite" soap (King Louis Lavender or 888)
Strop Shoppe Special Edition
Mike's Natural
Mystic Water
Proraso Red

10 1,858