06-10-2013, 12:49 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Celebrate National Iced Tea Day, with a tall refreshing glass.

1 3,507
 06-10-2013, 01:05 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I will have some nice refreshing iced tea later.

100 12,438
 06-10-2013, 03:51 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
Mmm, I miss sweet iced tea. I quit drinking anything other than water a while back, I had become way too addicted to sugary drinks and decided to nip it in the bud.
I was literally drinking a gallon of heavily sweetened tea a day (about 2 cups of sugar). I was so bad I am totally staying away from any sweetened drinks, like a junkie I'm afraid one taste will pull me back in. Tongue

Enjoy a big cold glass for me! Biggrin

31 1,510
 06-10-2013, 03:53 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I had my Earl Grey on ice this evening. Excellent with some goodies.

100 12,438
 06-10-2013, 04:14 PM
User Info
(06-10-2013, 03:51 PM)Arcadies Wrote: Mmm, I miss sweet iced tea. I quit drinking anything other than water a while back, I had become way too addicted to sugary drinks and decided to nip it in the bud.
I was literally drinking a gallon of heavily sweetened tea a day (about 2 cups of sugar). I was so bad I am totally staying away from any sweetened drinks, like a junkie I'm afraid one taste will pull me back in. Tongue

Enjoy a big cold glass for me! Biggrin

This is my situation as well so it's best for me to stick with unsweetened coffee & water. But I will say that no one can touch the South's sweet tea.

31 7,912
 06-10-2013, 04:22 PM
User Info
I didn't know this was a holiday, but I've been inadvertently celebrating it all day!

10 2,062
 06-10-2013, 04:44 PM
User Info
You don't need sugar for a nice refreshing glass of iced tea.

It is better without the sweetness.

18 567
 06-10-2013, 04:47 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(06-10-2013, 04:44 PM)PanChango Wrote: You don't need sugar for a nice refreshing glass of iced tea.

I never could stand unsweetened tea, although I haven't really tried it since I stopped drinking sweetened drinks. My opinion could have changed I suppose, now that my taste buds have been "cleansed" of overpowering sweetness day in and day out.

I'll have to try it again soon.

31 1,510
 06-10-2013, 05:04 PM
User Info
(06-10-2013, 04:47 PM)Arcadies Wrote:
(06-10-2013, 04:44 PM)PanChango Wrote: You don't need sugar for a nice refreshing glass of iced tea.

I never could stand unsweetened tea, although I haven't really tried it since I stopped drinking sweetened drinks. My opinion could have changed I suppose, now that my taste buds have been "cleansed" of overpowering sweetness day in and day out.

I'll have to try it again soon.

Give it a shot. I used to drink my hot tea sweetened, but have cut out sugar and artificial sweeteners. It took a while to get used to it, but I now greatly prefer it that way.

18 567
 06-10-2013, 05:30 PM
User Info
That's the problem, use to give it too many shots!

5 410
 06-10-2013, 05:38 PM
User Info

Agree, I drink my tea sans sugar. If it's fresh with good water, it is great!

31 1,800
 06-11-2013, 09:07 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
National Iced Tea Day? Being in the South how in the world did I miss this? I grew up on two drinks, Sweet Tea and Kool-Aid. Those two consist of two parts sugar, one part drink. Anyone who has ever been in my area would know exactly what I mean.

15 970
 06-11-2013, 09:13 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Have to pass on this, Brad. I think I'm the only native Texan who NEVER liked iced tea. Now National Coffee Day would be another thing altogether! Biggrin

35 2,703
 06-11-2013, 12:07 PM
User Info
(06-10-2013, 05:38 PM)Bowhnter Wrote:

Same here. I think the sugar is added to mask poor tasting tea. So many of the McDonalds here now *only* have sweetened. It's disgusting stuff. Lately I have been making my pitchers of Iced Tea (I drink it by the ton) with one packet of tetley iced tea packets (the round ones) and a teaspoon of Earl Grey loose leaf in a strainer. Delicious stuff.

129 6,685
 06-11-2013, 12:18 PM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
(06-11-2013, 12:07 PM)wingdo Wrote:
(06-10-2013, 05:38 PM)Bowhnter Wrote:

Same here. I think the sugar is added to mask poor tasting tea. So many of the McDonalds here now *only* have sweetened. It's disgusting stuff. Lately I have been making my pitchers of Iced Tea (I drink it by the ton) with one packet of tetley iced tea packets (the round ones) and a teaspoon of Earl Grey loose leaf in a strainer. Delicious stuff.

I can guarantee you the Sweet Tea from McDonald's is not what the southerners would call sweet tea. That stuff is nasty imo. I usually drink Lipton tea, and for each making it gets 3 scoops of sugar. Personally, I don't think I could live up north. The times I have been there they don't even offer sweet tea. I will say, there is a restaurant in Nashville outside the football stadium that has some delicious tea. It only can be ordered unsweetened , but they have pure sugar in a honey like form I beleive it is sitting on the table for you to dilute to your own liking.

15 970
 06-11-2013, 12:40 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
National Iced Tea Day? HA! That must be a yankee national day. Every day is iced tea day in the South.

I've drunk more sweet iced tea than the law allows in my lifetime, but now I drink it unsweetened with a big chunk of lemon in it.

Between my coffee and tea, I get enough caffeine for a small community.

173 23,499
 06-11-2013, 12:56 PM
User Info
(06-11-2013, 12:18 PM)tsimmns Wrote:
(06-11-2013, 12:07 PM)wingdo Wrote:
(06-10-2013, 05:38 PM)Bowhnter Wrote: Agree, I drink my tea sans sugar. If it's fresh with good water, it is great!

I can guarantee you the Sweet Tea from McDonald's is not what the southerners would call sweet tea. That stuff is nasty imo. I usually drink Lipton tea, and for each making it gets 3 scoops of sugar. Personally, I don't think I could live up north. The times I have been there they don't even offer sweet tea. I will say, there is a restaurant in Nashville outside the football stadium that has some delicious tea. It only can be ordered unsweetened , but they have pure sugar in a honey like form I beleive it is sitting on the table for you to dilute to your own liking.

Oh, I don't consider McD's tea a real tea either, just stating that they used to carry only unsweetened (as one can always add their own sugar), then both sweetened and unsweetened and now they are moving to sweetened only.

We have plenty of great restaurants which can make a fantastic glass of iced tea. Some are southern style places others are not. That said yes, we still have some places with poor excuses for iced tea.

129 6,685
 06-11-2013, 01:00 PM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
(06-11-2013, 12:40 PM)Johnny Wrote: National Iced Tea Day? HA! That must be a yankee national day. Every day is iced tea day in the South.

I've drunk more sweet iced tea than the law allows in my lifetime, but now I drink it unsweetened with a big chunk of lemon in it.

Between my coffee and tea, I get enough caffeine for a small community.

Johnny, any reason behind not drinking sweet iced tea anymore? And this post cracked me up. I usually go through about a jug of sweet iced tea each day.

(06-11-2013, 12:56 PM)wingdo Wrote:
(06-11-2013, 12:18 PM)tsimmns Wrote:
(06-11-2013, 12:07 PM)wingdo Wrote: Same here. I think the sugar is added to mask poor tasting tea. So many of the McDonalds here now *only* have sweetened. It's disgusting stuff. Lately I have been making my pitchers of Iced Tea (I drink it by the ton) with one packet of tetley iced tea packets (the round ones) and a teaspoon of Earl Grey loose leaf in a strainer. Delicious stuff.

Oh, I don't consider McD's tea a real tea either, just stating that they used to carry only unsweetened (as one can always add their own sugar), then both sweetened and unsweetened and now they are moving to sweetened only.

We have plenty of great restaurants which can make a fantastic glass of iced tea. Some are southern style places others are not. That said yes, we still have some places with poor excuses for iced tea.

I get what you are saying now. Heck, I never knew McDonald's even served unsweetened tea until I just read this.

15 970
 06-11-2013, 01:24 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Tony, Type II Diabetes lead me away from sugar. I cannot stand the taste of artificial sweeteners so I chose to drink my coffee and tea without. When I go to visit family in Texas I do cheat once or twice. Wink

173 23,499
 06-11-2013, 01:30 PM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
Johnny, I guess that is a good reason to stay away from the sugar. What part of Texas? I spent 6 months in Wichita Falls last year with the military crossing training into another career field and I must say the drinks there were awful. At the time the area was going through a drought, so I don't know if that's what it was or not. The only place you could get a good drink that didn't come from a bottle or can was Sonic.

15 970