06-10-2013, 01:18 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
I have been using my recently received MdC with great pleasure. It is an excellent shaving soap. It is as easy to lather and as protective as people say. What caught my eye is that the ingredient list of MdC was very simple. It goes as follows:

MdC ingredients
Stearic acid, water, coconut acid*, potassium hydroxide, glycerin, aroma.

Even more interesting to me is the similarity of MdC’s ingredients to that of the soft Italian almond-scented soap 3P, which reads as follows:

3P ingredients
Stearic acid, water, cocos nucifera*, potassium hydroxide, sodium hydroxide, parfum potassium carbonate.

*About COCONUT ACID: Coconut Acid is a mixture of fatty acids derived from Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil (q.v.). There is likely more than one grade of coconut oil.

A major difference is that MdC is a relatively hard soap whereas 3P is extremely soft. I liken 3P to a relatively dry ricotta cheese. This is counterintuitive since MdC does not possess sodium hydroxide but only potassium hydroxide. It is the sodium hydroxide-produced salts of the fatty acids that give soap a more solid consistency. 3P, as do many soaps, have both potassium and sodium hydroxide and would be expected to have a harder consistency than MdC. It is likely that the hardness of MdC is acquired during the at least 5 month drying period referred to on the website. No doubt this adds to the cost.

Because the ingredients seemed so similar I used 3P and MdC side by side for about a week and, to be honest they seemed to perform identically. 3P is every bit as easy to lather as MdC and the protectiveness of the lather also seemed equivalent. I would like to confess that after about 6-7 years of traditional wetshaving I pretty much have my soap “hero worship” under control – there are so many excellent products I cannot really tell which is the “best soap.” In other words, there are probably several soaps as good as either 3P and MdC, but I thought that I might make the leap and suggest 3P as a more economical version of MdC. Although it is usually sold as a one kg slab for about $25-30, Connaught shaving also sells a 125 gram container for about $12, and a 10 ml sample for about $3. It may be of interest to some to try 3P as it does not get a lot of attention on the boards. Even if you personally do not think 3P is as good as MdC, I doubt you would be sorry if you try it.

Thanks for listening.

1 796
 06-10-2013, 01:42 PM
User Info
3P is a truly great soft (very soft) soap! As to scent, I get a strong amaretto smell, though others have indicated they think it light compared to other Italian almonds. This is my only experience with Italian almond soaps, so take my opinion on scent strength with that in mind. Edit: many compare almonds to marzipan, but I have never smelled marzipan.

3 543
 06-10-2013, 01:58 PM
User Info
3P is a very good Italian croap with a nice almond scent. It's a fantastic performer in the shave, but it lacks a tiny bit in the after the shave skin feel. Don't misunderstand, when I write tiny bit, that's precisely what I mean. It's a hair shy in that regard from P.160, another hair removed from ABCBA, and ABCBA isn't the equal of MdC IMO (another hair shy). But when soaps get that good, it's really hard to differentiate. But there is no controversy over the scent of 3P that I know of, and there is with MdC. There's no need to age 3P, or any of the others for a sensitive nose and MdC might require aging. I know my aged MdC Signature scent is much better after 1 year.

Ted the ingredient list didn't go unnoticed by label readers. Nice pick up. Yup, it's a nice croap for not a great deal of money. I think I paid $18 for a block from Connaught. It's a steal at that price! Especially when the performance is considered.

32 6,470
 06-10-2013, 01:58 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
3P soap is excellent and inexpensive. I would rate the scent very light almond. Different from Cella, more like RazoRock R-160, but lower in volume. Very, very nice soap. I have never tried MdC, but I really enjoy Italian Soft Soaps. Cella is one of my all time favorites and I like it a touch more than 3P because I feel it is slicker and more protective, but by a thin margin. 3P is an outstanding soap that goes for under $30/1 Kg block. That's very inexpensive. As far as I am concerned with products like 3P there is no reason to spend any more than what 3P costs on soaps. It does everything very well. If you are okay with its scent you will really like the rest of it. I got my 150g hunk of 3P from one of the members here (ShadowsDad, I believe) when he got a 1 kg block and sold off portions of it for cost. Perhaps we can do some more of that if enough people are interested it could come to around $10 with shipping for a 150 gram chunk. Not bad for a first class soap. I could also do the same with Cella 1 kg block and Vitos. All amazing products for not that much money.

26 1,751
 06-10-2013, 02:03 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
Teddy Boy, with all the MDC fetishists out there I admire the courage of your post. You are a brave man. Smile

15 541
 06-10-2013, 02:03 PM
  • TRBeck
  • Unregistered
User Info
I find 3P an excellent soap and prefer its scent to most Italian soft soaps. It also is easier on my skin than the others, though I still get mild irritation with repeated use. Still, I concur that there's no need to spend a lot to get incredible lather.

06-10-2013, 02:09 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
(06-10-2013, 02:03 PM)Hanzo Wrote: Teddy Boy, with all the MDC fetishists out there I admire the courage of your post. You are a brave man. Smile

You're right. I'm holding my breath.

1 796
 06-10-2013, 03:42 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
Scent is also a major factor..it can be dirt cheap and if the scent doesn't agree it makes it worthless to someone..Arko for example..lathers like mad, I like it..but many others despise it.
I personally don't really like the whole almond thing many Italian soaps/croaps have going on, and the scent of MdC is simply divine in comparison..so if I were going to choose between the 2 I'd most likely go with MdC even with the extra cost.

I am not a fanboy by the way, I sold my jar of MdC a while back, due to it slightly irritating my face and not really being that impressed with it to begin with. It was a great soap, no doubt, but not really much better than other soaps in my stable..the scent was fabulous though.

31 1,510
 06-10-2013, 04:19 PM
User Info
Since BrianK did a review of 3P with some others it has been on my radar. With my love of MdC, P.160, & ABCBA I may just have to acquire this. Maybe I can get it from Connaught along with some Feather SE blades.

31 8,058
 06-10-2013, 06:51 PM
  • TRBeck
  • Unregistered
User Info
Brian, it is very worthy of a purchase, but I would be happy to forward you a small sample if you're interested.

06-11-2013, 04:35 AM
User Info
It sounds good, but the only almond scent that I've ever tolerated is DR Harris (and that is a very mild scent). Cella was WAY to sweet for my nose.

97 615
 06-11-2013, 04:41 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(06-11-2013, 04:35 AM)mcgils Wrote: It sounds good, but the only almond scent that I've ever tolerated is DR Harris (and that is a very mild scent). Cella was WAY to sweet for my nose.

3P smells differently than Cella and way less strong. I don't mind Cella scent, but I can see how it can be too sweet. I think Cella has other notes besides bitter almond. 3P, however is more pure almond without the sweet notes. Performance is excellent in both, but to me Cella is a bit slicker and richer. 3P is veggie based, Cella is tallow, if that makes any difference. I have stopped being a tallow snob since trying modern veggie soaps like Savon du Midi, 3P, GFT, etc. All excellent.

26 1,751
 06-11-2013, 04:56 AM
User Info
This is another one I have to try. I love the performance of Cella, and really starting to find that I like a lot of the almond scents out there.

10 2,062
 06-11-2013, 07:05 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(06-11-2013, 04:56 AM)taborcarn Wrote: This is another one I have to try. I love the performance of Cella, and really starting to find that I like a lot of the almond scents out there.

I find Cella scent very different from most other Classic Italian almond scents. It is sweeter and has other things in it besides almond. 3P, RR R-160 and RR Classic smell more straight up almond without that amaretto thing. I happen to enjoy Cella scent and all, but when I first got it about a year ago I was not too crazy about it. Now I am on my second tub of Cella and really like it. I find it does not linger after the shave and that's a good thing. During the shave it's is gentle in character and strength enough to keep me calm and relaxed and concentrate at the task at hand. I especially enjoy whipping it up with boar brushes. Seems to go together pretty well. Same goes for all the almond scented classic Italian soft soaps.

26 1,751
 06-11-2013, 07:19 AM
User Info
Yes I realize Cella is quite a bit different, more of a Cherry Coke scent but I still like it too. I used a whole tub of RR Classic and it took a lot of willpower to not try and taste it.

10 2,062
 06-12-2013, 03:45 PM
User Info
I find there are a few examples with very similar fatty acid profiles that work every bit as well as MdC, for my money.

RazoRock Karite line and Strop Shoppe to name 2.

10 1,858
 06-12-2013, 08:17 PM
User Info
(06-11-2013, 07:19 AM)taborcarn Wrote: Yes I realize Cella is quite a bit different, more of a Cherry Coke scent but I still like it too. I used a whole tub of RR Classic and it took a lot of willpower to not try and taste it.

Same here, I have also been tempted to taste the RR Classic, but somehow I managed to control myself...

10 608