06-11-2013, 09:34 AM
User Info
EDIT: OP includes all entries thus far.

Ever wondered about what the "famous" people in the wetshaving community (artisans, vendors, manufacturers, writers/bloggers, etc.) actually use on a day to day?

Of course, a fine forum such as this can hear directly from the sources themselves, so contribute if you are that guy! Could just be one favorite piece of gear, a usual daily set-up or whatever you would like it to be. This is only meant for fun...obviously not an endorsement, a statement of "the best" and not written in stone. Just interesting for us to know what the "professionals" use.

Some data is, admittedly, a couple years old.

Gary Young (nephew to great-uncle Alexander Simpson)
-Uses a Chubby 2 in Super on a daily basis
-(His grandfather and father used a Duke 2 on a daily basis)

Mark Herro aka "Mantic59" (creator Sharpologist.com and many YouTube wetshaving instructional videos)
-Merkur Progress
-"Greys" brush from Em's Place
-Castle Forbes limes, Truefitt & Hill Trafalgar and Grafton, Speick, DR Harris Arlington, J. Peterman 1903.

Gary (Shoeboxshaveshop.com)
-Edwin Jagger DE89L
-Simpsons Wee Scot
-Gillette 7 O’Clock Super Platinum – black pack
-MWF, Pre De Provence or Institut Karite shea butter for soaps.
-TOBS Jermyn Street, Edwin Jagger SeaBuckThorn, Speick for creams.

Phil (Bullgooseshaving.com, administrator of this forum)
-The one constant in all of his shaves is Glyce Lime preshave soap
-Tends to prefer modern production DE razors and tallow shave soaps

Joe (Italianbarber.com)
-Merkur 37C with a Feather blade
-Two-band badgers
-RazoRock King Louis and 888
-Floids and RazoRock A/S lotions
-RR aftershave wax a lot in the winter months, as well as the La Famiglia balms and various other balms

Greg (ikonrazors.com)
-iKon razor with Personna blue pack
-British brush
-MWF

Michael Ham (author of "Leisureguy’s Guide to Gourmet Shaving" and "Later On" blog)
-ARC Weber
-Hard soap

Brian Krampert (Krampert's Finest)
-SE: GEM OCMM, GEM/ER '14, '24 and various Lather Catchers with GEM SS PTFE coated blades.
-DE: Gillette Old Type, NEW LC, Slim, Fatboy with Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow Sharpedge, Med Preps.
-Krampert's after shave splash

Bruno (Vintagescent.com)
-Filarmonica 13 Doble Temple 6/8''
-SOC boar brush in cherry wood handle
-Cella soap
-Old Spice splash followed by 444 balm

Juan (Giftsandcare.com)
-Merkur Progress with Iridium blade
-Vie-Long 16505 two band
-Castle Forbes Lime or Proraso soap
-Myrsol Emulsion both as pre or after
-Proraso and Fitjar Folgefonn balms

Richard (Tradere Razors)
-regular straights or Kai Captain
-SE: ER Streamline, the older Auto Strops and the Wilkinson.
-DE current: Tradere, EJ 89, the Merkur slant and HD, the Weber DLC, and the open comb side of the Ikon machined models.
-DE vintage: NEW, the ABC pocket editions, and the Gillette 1916 Aristocrat with the bell tube handle.
-DE blades: Personna Med and Labs, the Permasharp and the Super Max platinum.
-Brush: New Forest 2201, Simpson 55, 2012 B&B Rudy Vey LE with Shavemac knot.

Chris Moss (Moss Scuttles and author of “The Art of The Straight Razor Shave, A Basic Guide”)
-Friodur 8/8 straight
-A big, Somerset Simpsons brush
-Coral Skin food or Eucris hair dressing as post-shave

Mark Watterson (Simpsons/Vulfix)
-Italian made DE razor
-Simpson luxury shaving cream
-Late Grandad’s old pottery shaving mug
-Vulfix 2234, Simpson Case (travel), Manchurian M7 and a full ensemble of Dukes and Chubbies

Ed Weber (Weber Razors)
-Polished Weber Bulldog

Jim Ayars (Vintage Blades)
-DE: Merkur 38C with a Feather blade
-Straights: Dovos, TI’s, vintage straights, and customs from Livi and Zowada
-Brush: usually Rooney. Also Shavemac, Plisson HMW, two “vintage” Simpsons, and a wonderful ivory handled custom brush
-Unscented balm from The Gentlemen’s Refinery
-Different cologne every day, usually one from either Penhaligon’s or Castle Forbes

Larry (Cold River Soaps)
CRSW soap
Merkur 34c
Edwin Jagger STF XL
CRSW or Myrsol balm

47 1,270
 06-11-2013, 11:25 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
I have often wondered what famous athletes shave with. One would think with millions of dollars they would get world class shaves, which leads me to wonder if Tiger Woods really does shave with a Gillette razor and canned goo.

Then you have royalty, I wonder what Prince William and Harry shave with. Of course all of these people I have mentioned might get a straight shave every morning, but it's just something to ponder.

15 970
 06-11-2013, 11:30 AM
User Info
(06-11-2013, 11:25 AM)tsimmns Wrote: I have often wondered what famous athletes shave with. One would think with millions of dollars they would get world class shaves, which leads me to wonder if Tiger Woods really does shave with a Gillette razor and canned goo.

Then you have royalty, I wonder what Prince William and Harry shave with. Of course all of these people I have mentioned might get a straight shave every morning, but it's just something to ponder.

But how about the REALLY famous people of Wetshavedom?

47 1,270
 06-11-2013, 11:38 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
(06-11-2013, 11:30 AM)kentclark Wrote:
(06-11-2013, 11:25 AM)tsimmns Wrote: I have often wondered what famous athletes shave with. One would think with millions of dollars they would get world class shaves, which leads me to wonder if Tiger Woods really does shave with a Gillette razor and canned goo.

But how about the REALLY famous people of Wetshavedom?

Yes, very intriguing. I say we hear from all the admin & artisians/vendors on here. I mean they are famous to meBiggrin

Mark(Mantic59) is a super nice guy. I remember the first video of his I watched that made me to get into wet shaving. I wrote him and asked him for brush suggestions and he response time back was less than 5 minutes.

15 970
 06-11-2013, 11:43 AM
User Info
 06-11-2013, 11:47 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
(06-11-2013, 11:43 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Ryan Lochte's diamond encrusted razor from Gillette

Serious question, say you aren't shaving with a DE, SE, or straight: would you really want to shave with a gold encrusted razor? I most certainly would not.

15 970
 06-11-2013, 11:50 AM
User Info
Sheesh and I though the expensive Fusions at AoS were bad...

10 2,062
 06-11-2013, 11:55 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
(06-11-2013, 11:50 AM)taborcarn Wrote: Sheesh and I though the expensive Fusions at AoS were bad...

The first time I looked at the AoS site and saw the prices of their Fusions I about had a stroke. I guess for 200 it's like Mantic59 said, you can buy the latest gizmo, shaving, infinite blade gadget.

15 970
 06-11-2013, 01:15 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(06-11-2013, 11:43 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Ryan Lochte's diamond encrusted razor from Gillette

What a waste of money.

173 23,540
 06-11-2013, 02:12 PM
User Info
Hey now, pipe down there you Lochte's razor gawkers!

Surely someone can recall some facts from a prior interview. Or, if you are one of the said wetshavers, "hit reply" on your post to this thread.

I won't say whom, but I've already seen several "famous" faces perusing this thread.

47 1,270
 06-11-2013, 02:13 PM
User Info
(06-11-2013, 02:12 PM)kentclark Wrote: Hey now, pipe down there you Lochte's razor gawkers!

Surely someone can recall some facts from a prior interview. Or, if you are one of the said wetshavers, "hit reply" on your post to this thread.

I won't say whom, but I've already seen several "famous" faces perusing this thread.

There's been a Lochte sighting? Laughing1

31 7,914
 06-11-2013, 06:47 PM
User Info
Phil (Bullgooseshaving.com, administrator of this forum)
-The one constant in all of his shaves is Glyce Lime preshave soap
-Tends to prefer modern production DE razors and tallow shave soaps

Joe (Italianbarber.com)
-Merkur 37C with a Feather blade
-Two-band badgers
-RazoRock King Louis and 888
-Floids and RazoRock A/S lotions
-RR aftershave wax a lot in the winter months, as well as the La Famiglia balms and various other balms

47 1,270
 06-11-2013, 06:53 PM
User Info
Doesn't RazoRock_Joe always use a preshave soap like MRGLO, but probably one of the RR ones now. Also, I think he's a fan of the slanted razors IIRC.

31 7,914
 06-11-2013, 06:56 PM
User Info
Greg (ikonrazors.com)
-iKon razor with Personna blue pack
-British brush
-MWF

Michael Ham (author of "Leisureguy’s Guide to Gourmet Shaving" and "Later On" blog)
-ARC Weber
-Hard soap

47 1,270
 06-12-2013, 06:48 AM
User Info
Brian Krampert (Krampert's Finest)
-SE: GEM OCMM, GEM/ER '14, '24 and various Lather Catchers with GEM SS PTFE coated blades.
-DE: Gillette Old Type, NEW LC, Slim, Fatboy with Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow Sharpedge, Med Preps.
-Krampert's after shave splash

Bruno (Vintagescent.com)
-Filarmonica 13 Doble Temple 6/8''
-SOC boar brush in cherry wood handle
-Cella soap
-Old Spice splash followed by 444 balm

Juan (Giftsandcare.com)
-Merkur Progress with Iridium blade
-Vie-Long 16505 two band
-Castle Forbes Lime or Proraso soap
-Myrsol Emulsion both as pre or after
-Proraso and Fitjar Folgefonn balms

Richard (Tradere Razors)
-regular straights or Kai Captain
-SE: ER Streamline, the older Auto Strops and the Wilkinson.
-DE current: Tradere, EJ 89, the Merkur slant and HD, the Weber DLC, and the open comb side of the Ikon machined models.
-DE vintage: NEW, the ABC pocket editions, and the Gillette 1916 Aristocrat with the bell tube handle.
-DE blades: Personna Med and Labs, the Permasharp and the Super Max platinum.
-Brush: New Forest 2201, Simpson 55, 2012 B&B Rudy Vey LE with Shavemac knot.

Here's a contribution for today. Acknowledgement to Dave for his fine series of interviews last year.

47 1,270
 06-13-2013, 08:54 AM
User Info
Chris Moss (Moss Scuttles and author of “The Art of The Straight Razor Shave, A Basic Guide”)
-Friodur 8/8 straight
-A big, Somerset Simpsons brush
-Coral Skin food or Eucris hair dressing as post-shave

Mark Watterson (Simpsons/Vulfix)
-Italian made DE razor
-Simpson luxury shaving cream
-Late Grandad’s old pottery shaving mug
-Vulfix 2234, Simpson Case (travel), Manchurian M7 and a full ensemble of Dukes and Chubbies

Ed Weber (Weber Razors)
-Polished Weber Bulldog

47 1,270
 06-14-2013, 06:37 AM
User Info
Jim Ayars (Vintage Blades)
-DE: Merkur 38C with a Feather blade
-Straights: Dovos, TI’s, vintage straights, and customs from Livi and Zowada
-Brush: usually Rooney. Also Shavemac, Plisson HMW, two “vintage” Simpsons, and a wonderful ivory handled custom brush
-Unscented balm from The Gentlemen’s Refinery
-Different cologne every day, usually one from either Penhaligon’s or Castle Forbes.

Ok, I feel like Atlas carrying this thread Biggrin but I think that is all I have for now. Appreciate those who have clarified what has been posted via PM.

This is only meant for fun...obviously not an endorsement, a statement of "the best" and not written in stone. Just interesting for us to know what the "professionals" use.

47 1,270
 06-15-2013, 06:34 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
This is an amazing thread. It's nice to see what all this famous men in the wet shaving world use.

15 970
 06-15-2013, 08:02 AM
User Info
(06-15-2013, 06:34 AM)tsimmns Wrote: This is an amazing thread. It's nice to see what all this famous men in the wet shaving world use.

Isn't it, Tony? The backstories are interesting, too. Just like many of us, there may be sentimental attachment or personal significance with a particular item. For example, I believe Mr. Watterson's DE razor was a gift and his shaving mug was passed down to him.

Also interesting to see what some of the vendors choose when they have a gamut of wetshaving good at their disposal. Most of the time, they choose less than exotic gear that just plain works.

47 1,270
 12-22-2014, 05:22 PM
User Info
Update 12/22/2014

Happy to update the list; feel free to post here or PM. I find it fascinating to see what our artisans, manufacturers and resellers use.

47 1,270