06-12-2013, 02:35 PM
User Info
Just got this frameback today and it is possible it has ivory scales. They are so very thin and yet intact with no splits. Note also the very short finger hold on the end. The print on the blade is worn but here is my best shot at what it says:

Along the spine on one side it is embossed: "Sweden." Underneath on the blade it says "Patent" in stylized 1880's font.

Along the spine on the other side it is embossed: "Fagersta Martin-Stal." You can just see the small dot over the top of the "A" in the word "Stal" unique to the Swedish language. On the blade there is a fish with mouth open and underneath "Trademarke."

On the tang: "Copenhagen 1883.... Boston USA 1883... Feismedailler..." Also can just make out "Leik..."

Does anyone know anything about this?

[Image: fWGcAwpl.jpg]

[Image: yaRa6qZl.jpg]

[Image: 44NLuULl.jpg]

[Image: QPw47lOl.jpg]

[Image: Bum4yxZl.jpg]

6 323
 06-12-2013, 03:34 PM
User Info
A late c.19 through early c.20 USA importer of Swedish/German forging(this being obviously a spiffy example of the former.

Great stiff wafer-thin slice of steel!

0 72
 06-12-2013, 07:17 PM
User Info
(06-12-2013, 02:35 PM)Captain Capsize Wrote: You can just see the small dot over the top of the "A" in the word "Stal" unique to the Swedish language.

Not that unique;
Wikipedia Wrote:Å represents various (although often very similar) sounds in several languages. It is considered a separate letter in the Swedish, Danish, Norwegian and Finnish alphabets, as well as in the North Frisian, Walloon, Emiliano-Romagnolo, Chamorro, Istro-Romanian, Lule Sami, Skolt Sami, Southern Sami, and Greenlandic alphabets. Additionally, it is part of the alphabets used for the Alemannic and the Bavarian-Austrian dialects of German.
//End threadjack

Now that I pointed that out, lets get on with it... with the help of a quick googling, and the fact that the Scandinavian languages are mutually intelligible, I have found that:
- Martin-stål is a Scandinavian term used for steel produced in a open-hearth regenerative furnace.
- Fagersta has been the site of iron manufacture since the 17th century; from what I can find they started making steel there in the early 1880's.
- It seems like the open-heart steel from Fagersta was used in making razors by at least two Swedish knife-makers; CW Dahlgren and Anton Berg, both from Eskilstuna.
- The "Shark" was used as a logo by Anton Berg prior to about 1960 - see for example here and here.
- The references to Copenhagen 1883 and Boston 1883 most likely refers to winning prizes (medals)* at exhibition in those cities and years.
-- Boston 1883 most likely refers to the "Foreign Exhibition, Boston, 1883", where Erik Anton Berg is listed as having shown two razors. You can read the official catalogue of that expo online; the relevant page is 397.

In short; you got a lovely specimen of an Erik Anton Berg straight razor, of the same model as was shown at the "The American Exhibition of the Products, Arts and Manufactures of Foreign Nations" in 1883. Very nice indeed Smile

*) You can still see this on various products in Scandinava - basically it says "It's so good it won medals". For an example, see the tin of Turistproviant with images of all the medals it won.

3 3,439
 06-13-2013, 08:22 AM
User Info
As Hans said, that's an E. A. Berg frameback. They made great razors, and are really under-hyped on the US forums.

Properly honed, it will be a smooth, stiff shaver (no flex...rather like a wedge).

37 1,731
 06-24-2013, 07:07 PM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
Yohann has the right of it! They are like a featherweight wedge and must be treated with respect. That said, the steel is as good as any anywhere and hones to as sharp an edge as the honer can produce. The Swedes sold it world wide and its properties are legendary. Ivory was a very common material for scales till the ban. They are a bit brittle so be careful honing and stropping. With the thin blade they do not often crack at the wedge because there no wedging action from the blade.

8 1,190
 06-25-2013, 07:14 AM
  • Edson
  • Artisan Razor Restorer
  • Oregon
User Info
It is an Erik Anton Berg and I have the exact razor, though in minty condition. I have it packed away because I'm moving soon, but maybe next week I can snap a picture.

As I was going through my huge reduction of razors, the EAB made it clear that she wasn't parting. Takes a fantastic edge!

Interestingly, this razor was also made with solid MOP scales. I've only seen one - went for it hard on eBay when I was in the craze, but came up short.

Nice razor - she will take an excellent edge!

11 185